FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roxy's S.C mustard sauce
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it will keep a lot longer than that.. You are using prepared mustard which, well has preservatives added to it unfortunately and vinegar and also you are cooking the mixture..

The onions and garlic will almost pickle as it were in the sauce so I dont see a problem keeping it as long as its placed into a clean container..

The question I got for ya is this.. Why would a batch of this sauce last more than 2 weeks.. If it does your not putting it on stuff.. Laughing
LIAR #100
solanabeacher
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy.........I make this stuff by the GALLON!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solanabeacher wrote:
Roxy.........I make this stuff by the GALLON!

man, you got it bad.. Very Happy
LIAR #100
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23 10 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some of this sauce last night. I ran it through the blender to get it nice and smooth. I also added a bit of honey as I like a sweet kick also. Finally since I prefer a thick sauce I added a bit of corn starch to the mixture. All in all I am very happy with it, thanks.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23 10 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy's Liquid Gold. Laughing
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23 10 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJP wrote:
I made some of this sauce last night. I ran it through the blender to get it nice and smooth. I also added a bit of honey as I like a sweet kick also. Finally since I prefer a thick sauce I added a bit of corn starch to the mixture. All in all I am very happy with it, thanks.

AJP:

I am not a fan of cornstarch in sauces as I find I can taste or detect it on the tongue as it were..

If you are looking for a thicker sauce, I would suggest you try cooking the sauce a little longer then recommended as this will evaporate more of the vinegar..
LIAR #100
AJP
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23 10 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
AJP wrote:

AJP:

I am not a fan of cornstarch in sauces as I find I can taste or detect it on the tongue as it were..

If you are looking for a thicker sauce, I would suggest you try cooking the sauce a little longer then recommended as this will evaporate more of the vinegar..

I used 1Tbsp of corn starch and cooked it for 20mins or so. For me I taste nothing so I'm happy with how it turned out. Tastes amazing.
MommasSmokeShack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18 10 10:55 pm    Post subject: freezing roxys sauce Reply with quote

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months now. My new FEC100 is due in before next weekend. I'm going to experiment with recipes & ease in to what will be hopefully a full time business in the near future. Please excuse the goofy questions ... but ... can you make a BIG batch of roxys sauce and freeze it? A couple people talked about canning it but then said they put it in the frig. Properly canned foods don't need refrigeration so are they canning or just putting them in sterilized jars for a better environment? Confused

THANKS to all who have taken the time to post and help out the newbies!!
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MommasSmokeShack - I used to have a BBQ business and used this as one of my 3 sauces. I increased the amounts for a larger batch. To make it more shelf stable, I substituted granulated garlic and onion powder for the fresh garlic and onion.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make the batches as needed, nothing like fresh IMO. The sauce will keep for week as is.
LIAR #100
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28 10 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just made a bunch of this sauce for the low carb diet guy. instead of brown sugar, i added 5 packets of sun crystal sweetner, and about 1/2 tbsp off molasses. cut carbs and sugars way back, can't tell much difference. just a tip for you all Smile
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SmokeMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29 10 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made this and it's fantastic!

i didnt think it had enough oomph from the mustard so i added some more. very good tasting sauce. it's nice to make a sauce without tomatoes in any way!
Rowdy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23 10 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is good. i added some red pepper flake before blending.
gone in one day, have a gallons worth simmering as i type this..
Brian Briggs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23 10 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried your mustard sauce. I never thought I would like a mustard sauce but DAMN! That was great. I have now made your coleslaw, spicy apple sauce (my favorite), the rib glaze and now this. One question, when are ya making a cookbook?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23 10 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Briggs wrote:
I just tried your mustard sauce. I never thought I would like a mustard sauce but DAMN! That was great. I have now made your coleslaw, spicy apple sauce (my favorite), the rib glaze and now this. One question, when are ya making a cookbook?

Its been a plan in the working for a while now.. Dont know if it will ever get done.. Besides, you got the best of the best right here at the ring.. Wink
LIAR #100
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24 10 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:

Its been a plan in the working for a while now.. Dont know if it will ever get done.. Besides, you got the best of the best right here at the ring.. Wink

I sure hope there's a book someday, I'll buy one fer sure! Don't know if I'll always have the internet, but I'll always keep a book. Your recipes are kick a$$!
Jonesy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05 10 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making this for next Saturdays PORKAPALOOZA! Sounds incredibly good! I'll keep you posted.
Brian Briggs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05 10 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this sauce last week and it was a HUGE hit. Everyone loved it.
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13 10 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the part of South Carolina near Georgia and they usually have mustard sauce, but I don't think it's native to this part of the state.

It's usually a pretty watery sauce.

I make my own by mixing yellow mustard, AC vinegar, honey, and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Maybe with a dab of molasses. More mustard than vinegar, which results in a thicker sauce than the BBQ places usually have.

But I don't cook it. Never would have thought of that. Maybe next time I make some up I'll split it and do some both ways. I suspect the cooked version will lack some of the subtlety of the uncooked -- the honey will definitely give up most of it's flavor to the cooking process.

EDIT::::

I made this sauce tonight, measuring carefully:

1/3 c mustard
1/3 c AC vinegar
1 T Olive Oil
1 T honey
1 t Worcestershire sauce

Whisked.

I took out part of it, added a smidge of water, and simmered it for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I compared the cooked to the "raw." I greatly preferred the raw.

YMMV.
JoeDirte

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22 10 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like roxy's sauce, but decided to alter the recipe a little for those who like a more sweeter sauce. Instead of 1cup cider vinegar I used 1/2cup cider vinegar and 1/2cup apple juice. I doubled the amount of brown sugar and substituted 2tsp sirracha for the tabasco. I could'nt stop eating the stuff and the crowd loved it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: