FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many pounds of Butt for 100 people?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BiteMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24 05 10:52 pm    Post subject: How many pounds of Butt for 100 people? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing a party for 100 people and I'm not sure how much Butt to bet. I know I'll get about a 60% yield but how much do you allow per person? It will be seved on a round bun like the ones you get at costco.
Mike
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25 05 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a caterer, so I've never done this before. Asuming you lose 1/2 of the weight of the meat, and people will make sandwiches with about 1/2 pound of meat, and some people may have seconds, then I would average 3/4 pound meat per person. That means 75 pounds cooked meat, which with 50% weight loss during the cook means 150 pounds of meat.

Let's see how I do once someone who actually knows what they are doing speaks up! Laughing
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello BiteMe! I usually go with 1/2 pound per person at my catered events when I have a second meat as well (like chicken). 3/4 might work out well if that is the only meat you will be providing (enough for two sandwich's per person). Bring along a small scale if you are not sure for portion control- it is a BIG mistake to run out of food! Shocked Plan on loosing about 40-50% of the total weight to shrinkage and bones. If you have any left overs, they freeze well in ziplock bags, and can be re-smoked to almost as good as fresh! I serve my sauce on the side for those who want it. The meat makes a better presentation "dry" and looks like more on the bun not weighed down with sauce. Hope this helps, let me know how your party goes! Very Happy
BiteMe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the tip. I went down to Costco and found that they can only get boneless butt so I will have a little more prep time but a better yeild. I figured 3-4 servings per pound. I'm planning to use a 4.5 inch bun. I need to see what that will look like. I don't want it to look skimpy. I REALLY don't want to run out of food. If I make too much I'll eat it for lunches more often than normally. I figured I'd be able to use the boneless butts but they would have to be tied up with butchers twine first. Thanks guys for the help.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sams club offers IBP pork (sometimes swift-premium) same as my wholesaler, at roughly the same price. Your total yeild will not change that much. When you by the butts by the case you can save quite a bit of money. They are usually around $1.20-$1.25 a pound here 60-70 pounds to a case. I smoke mine 8 hrs at 225' then foil and cook another 3-4 hours. Smaller pieces (I.E. boneless) will not cook as long, and probably yield less, not more meat from the shrinkage. You should try to find larger cuts of meat (with a nice fat cap), not boneless "pork roast". Pork roast will also cost you more. Check around with local wholesale people. Jusy my two cents worth.
BiteMe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 05 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the costco catalog and they do carry bone-in butts by the case. Based on what you are saying I should stay with the bone-in's and not go boneless? I checked the weber vertual bullet site the other day and that led me to think I could get away with using boneless. I had planned to tie them up with twine. I guess I should just stick with the bones.
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 12:28 am    Post subject: in repsonse Reply with quote

BBQMAN, Mike's advice on portion is right on plus with the bone in part.
I do mine the same way.

If there's one meat then 3/4 a pound per person if there's two meats then I go to 1/2 per person. Simple as that.

Also, Mike good luck with the Big Pig Jig next wekeend. I will not be able to come down and say hi this year, my family got tickets for the UT/Ole Miss game this weekend in Knoxville and the wife will go Christmas shopping in Pigeon FOrge while gaming.

Good luck man and keep us posted! GO WHOLE HOG too if you can!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Partycooker, nice to hear from you, and thanks for the kind words. We hope to have a good showing, and look forward to the expierence! We will be doing whole hog, whole shoulder (the entire leg) and ribs- the whole shooting match! Enjoy the game, and we hope to meet up with you sometime! Very Happy

BiteMe, it sounds like you have a weber bullet smoker. They are great smokers, but maybe a bit small for the quantity you are looking to cook? Do you have access to a larger smoker? Bone in is my preference for a lot of reasons. I find it cooks up moist with a consistant texture. The price is also right, and the higher fat content lends itself well to longer cooking times. Send me a PM with your phone number, and I can give you a call if you wish. Best regards, and good luck! Very Happy
BiteMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN, thanks for the tips. We are getting a Austin National 8 foot. I'm going to stick with bone-in butts. It seems if the deal is for 1 sandwich per person .75 lbs per person gives 100 sandwiches with 6oz of meat per plus an additional 20 percent. I wish we had a Sam's club but no, just costco.
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done quite a bit of pulled pork sandwiches and I think if you get yourself a small portion scale, you will find that 6 oz of cooked meat might just not fit into a 4.5"bun. I once did sliced beef and sliced pork for sandwiches for work. I allowed 4 oz per sand and 2 sand per person. I was going to make the sandwiches and at the last minute decided to just let people build their own. Make a long story short, after everyone was fed there was still enough left over to just about do it all over again. In other words most people were happy putting an average of 2 oz of cooked meat on a bun. So if you go with the amount you have figured, you better be prepared to take some home, but everyone will be full. Just my 2 cents worth and you know what you get for 2 cents these days.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 05 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We normally use a standard size burger bun, and 5-6oz. of meat ( 3 sand per pound). It makes for a nice size, good looking sammich! I have NEVER had a group that only wanted two oz. of meat on a sandwich! Wish we did, I could make more money! I sell a nice size sandwich for $5.00, and get $10.00 a pound for pork only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: