FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World's best Brunswick Stew?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jen37
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01 08 7:47 am    Post subject: World's best Brunswick Stew? Reply with quote

Maybe...maybe not. I searched the web for Brunswick Stew recipes and found that none are the same. Everyone seems to have their own ideas of how to make the stuff. I decided to experiment by combining what sounded like, to me, the best parts of multiple recipes.

It's in the pot now going through a 4-5 hour simmer. Since the jury is still out on the final results, I won't attempt to provide a recipe.

It's really a two part process. So far the stew itself contains chicken broth, diced tomatoes, whole kernel corn, baby Lima beans, cut okra, chopped onion, diced potatoes, molasses, liquid smoke, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, liquid smoke, kitchen bouquet, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, smoked chicken, smoked pork, and smoked beef brisket.

The second part of the process involves intermittent applications of JD for the cook. Laughing

Here's a pic of culinary art in progress.

Reebevol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06 08 12:36 am    Post subject: Don't hold out! Reply with quote

Dude, that's looking mighty fine, how did it turn out. I love B stew.
jen37
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07 08 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out great. I froze some in Foodsaver cannisters; and left some out for my daily use. The daily use stuff is gone; and I will probably start thawing one of the cannisters tomorrow. Very Happy
Reebevol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09 08 10:05 pm    Post subject: Do you mind Reply with quote

Can you get a little more specific on the amounts of the ingrediants you used to get what you think the perfect mix? I would appreciate it.
jen37
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 08 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the basics.

1 #2 can diced tomatoes
1 #303 can diced tomatoes w/peppers
1 #303 can Swanson Chicken Broth
1 pkg (box) frozen Lima Beans
1 pkg (box) frozen whole kernel corn
1 pkg (box) frozen cut okra
1 medium potato (diced)
1/2 medium onion (diced)
2 boneless chicken breasts (smoked and pulled)
2 cups smoked pork (pulled)
2 cups smoked beef brisket (slice w/grain and pull into strings)
2 tbls Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
2 tbls Molasses
2 tbls Kitchen Bouquet
1 tbls Liquid Smoke
1 tbls brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Tabasco

Mix all ingredients (don't drain the tomatoes) in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and simmer 3-4 hours with pot covered. I stirred the mixture about every 30 minutes and sampled the taste as I did so. If desired, you can add seasonings as you sample. Some like it spicy...others like it sweeter.

If it starts getting too thick you may add water to achieve the consistency you like. Just remember, it's called Brunswick Stew, not Brunswick soup. I think I ended up adding about 4 cups of water during a 4 hour simmer.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01 08 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's late aunt's recipe is this. Finally made it with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving.

Added more vegetables than the recipe called for . Pictures are down at the bottom in here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3042312.

Thelma’s Brunswick Stew

¼ cup butter (I leave this out, as it can leave a bit of oil on the top, depending on the pork and chicken. My note: I used it.)
4 half chicken breasts
3 cups diced raw potatoes
2 cups shredded smoked pork
1 cup chopped onion
8 cans chicken broth (Regular size soup can.)
2, 14 1/2-oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1, 16-oz. package frozen lima beans
1, 17-oz can creamed corn
1, 8 ½-oz. can peas, drained
¼ cup liquid smoke (I leave that out as it can get the stew a little heavy. My note: I used less, but put a little in.)
1, 24-oz can diced tomatoes
1, 16-oz. can shoepeg corn, undrained

Stir chicken in first four ingredients (if using liquid smoke), bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Sauce

¼ cup melted butter
1 ¾ cups ketchup
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. prepared mustard
¼ cup white vinegar
2 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
½ tsp. red pepper

Combine in a sauce pan and cook 25-30 minutes, stirring often. Add to stew.
Sax
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 08 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Jen,

Maybe not the "World's Best", but pretty darn close. As good of a B stew as I've ever tasted. Tried it yesterday and it was a big hit with my bunch! Thanks for the recipe...gonna try it for my poker crowd real soon.
Captain Morgan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 08 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I wrote for a website several years ago...

Again, the number of recipes for Brunswick Stew are as numerous as the number of cooks you ask. Like barbecue, the origin is also debated. Brunswick, Ga, claims to be the birthplace, Brunswick County in Virginia does as well. And then there's the Brunswick Islands of North Carolina. Whereever it started, it started with folks making it in big black kettles, using whatever they had, and was often divided up between families who contributed what they had. It is similar to a Kentucky Burgoo, which often includes veal or lamb.

I grew up on it in North Carolina, where it was almost always served as a side dish to barbecue. It is served just about everywhere in the south, and that of course leads to debates on what it is and who does it best. I've got recipes from Alabama, Georgia, both Carolinas and even one from up way up north.

Some of the old-timers will say it's not Brunswick stew unless it has squirrel or rabbit in it. I don't cook with those meats, although I've tried both. It's easy to understand how they got added in though. Brunswick stew originated from poor southerners, who subsisted on whatever they had.

The meats used in the recipes I've seen include beef (chuck),chicken, pork (ham, butt or loin), rabbit, squirrel, and even goat.

Vegetables I've seen included are tomatos, corn, onions, bell peppers, potatos, and lima beans. However, due to the fact that it was often made with whatever was on hand, it is not uncommon to find green beans, pea, carrots, okra or other vegetables in a Brunswick stew.

Like barbecue hash, I make my Brunswick stew with
meat that I have already smoked. You can use any cooked pork, beef or chicken, but I really find the smoke flavor, especially in the chicken, takes the stew to a whole different level.

Brunswick Stew

1 pound chopped or shredded pork butt
1 pound chopped or shredded chicken
1 pound beef chuck roast, shredded
1 large onion, chopped
28 oz crushed or diced tomatos, with juice
8 oz (1 small can) of tomato paste
10 oz lima beans, frozen or canned
15 oz of cream style corn
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 oz hot sauce (Texas Pete is traditional in my house)
1 oz Worcestershire sauce
juice of 1 lemon
3 tbls black pepper
2 tbls salt
1/2 tbls Dried red pepper flakes

Note that I use meat that is already cooked. If you are using raw meats, you can throw them in a big pot of dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the meat is falling apart. Remove bones and other undesirables. After the meat is cooled, shred or chop it up.

Add all ingrediants into a pot and just cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a couple of hours. Everything should start to blend together. Stir frequently, as this will keep the meat from sticking to the bottom, and will help break up the ingrediants.

Check seasonings and add to taste. Brunswick stew freezes well, but let the stew cool before popping in the fridge or freezer. It can sour
Duane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 08 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My basic recipe is such
Smoked, beef,pork and chicken
whole tomatoes
corn
bbq sauce
hot sauce
chicken broth
butter
onions
mixture of peppers
Worcestershire sauce
red pepper flakes
black pepper
salt
doni49

PostPosted: Tue May 13 08 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jen37 wrote:
It turned out great. I froze some in Foodsaver cannisters; and left some out for my daily use. The daily use stuff is gone; and I will probably start thawing one of the cannisters tomorrow. Very Happy

Can I ask how it turned out after freezing/thawing? I'm looking for things that I can freeze in individual servings.

This does sound good!

Thanks!
jen37
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 26 08 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doni49 wrote:
jen37 wrote:

Can I ask how it turned out after freezing/thawing? I'm looking for things that I can freeze in individual servings.

This does sound good!

Thanks!

Sorry to take so long to answer. It was fine after freezing and thawing...couldn't really tell any difference from freshly made.
slow and low

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15 08 10:43 am    Post subject: sorry got back to you late Reply with quote

i freeze the stew every time i make it . the best thing to do is take a small container or how ever many you want to let it get firm then if you have a vacum sealer for food vacum seal it. ( if you do not have one get one it is the best investment you ever make it's great for all your meat keeps it fresh as if it just came off the smoker) have a great one. remember slow anw low is the only way to go!
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04 08 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this post is making me ready for deer season and cold weather and really tired of this 100 degree crap lol this is going in my recipe book for sure..

i think i'll add a few whole habeneros for some heat
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chrisvia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19 10 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the Virginia version. Always an orange color, instead of Georgias' usual red. I posted more pics in the regular BBQ tread by accident.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: