FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help, sides for 150 people.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21 05 2:12 am    Post subject: Need help, sides for 150 people. Reply with quote

My wife's church group is having an event and they want BBQ for the meal. The local BBQ joint quoted $13.00 per head (95% ladies) for two meats and three sides, plus Apple pie and tea.

Once I get my new pit from Travis, doing the meat won't be a problem. I am thinking brisket and turkey breast. The pie won't be a problem, because we have a pie plant about 30 miles away and I can get them cheap.

I can do beans pretty easy, but what for the other two sides?
And what do you think is a fair price?

I could use all the help I can get, jump on in.
Jay
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21 05 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, slaw is a must. And since you're doin' beans mac-n-cheese would almost be standard too. That would be a nice but inexpensive Q.

Doc
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21 05 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tater salad and some creamy cole slaw, maybe a 5 bean salad. If your going to make slaw do it up right and shread your own, those bags of green taste aweful and ya dont want a bunch of church ladies finding fault with your good eats. Just like with BBQ, if its worth doing its worth doing right, cutting corners shows up on the taste buds. Fresh corn bread with honey butter would keep em talking for a while I'm sure. Peach cobbler is easier to make than pies. If your planning on getting the gig, under cut by one dollar as you dont want to leave blood all over your new smoker.
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a call on the pricing- happy to share what I know! Check ou the web site for contact info.
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their info and offers. Lord willing and the storms don't get us, Travis will be delivering my new smoker this weekend.

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

After I get the smoker and do some price scouting on supplies, I will be getting back to you.

Thanks again,
Jay
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 05 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to Thank everybody that offered me assistance on this post, but I have decided not to pursue this event this year.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I did not want my first catering job to be 150-180 church ladies that are the backbone of my town. Talk about "do or die", if I blew this one my local reputation would be dead for years. The job also included beverages, plates, cups, utensils and service staff. A bit much for my first time around.

But not to worry, I shall return.

Thanks again,
Jay
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 05 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Okiejay, I understand your feelings about keeping a good reputation and dissapointing the church. In this business reputation is EVERYTHING! I often cook for parties of 200 plus, and when the time comes would be happy to give you a few pointers. I have pics at my web site under events of a party we did at Raytheon for 800 plus guests. We fed em' all in 1 1/2 hours, and they liked the food and service so well that they have become a regular client! I also work with church's in our area, in fact we are doing chicken and ribs for 150 tonight (you just gotta love a Jewish BBQ guy cooking for the church! Wonder if that is Kosher! Laughing ). We also leave for the Big Pig Jig in Georgia first thing in the morning. The ability to multi-task is important in this line of work! Give me a call or e-mail, always happy to see good people be succesful in all they do! Very Happy
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 1:36 am    Post subject: Church ladies Reply with quote

Yes I also have noticed that old Church ladies pick and don't eat much.
I always cook to much meat when I do CHurch groups. The portion gage meter is hard to apply with those folks but to risky not to treat as any other job.

I've seen these things where the desserts are so elaborate that all the old ladies are more focused on that then the meat. They also almost always grew up on farms so they watch me real hard work that pig to make sure I'm doing it right. What a hoot. I always convince them though in the end.

"We used to slaughter our own pigs every fall, hang the hams and cook the left-overs for the farm help". Say sonny, you know what you're doing over there?"
kjash13
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need help, sides for 150 people. Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:

The pie won't be a problem, because we have a pie plant about 30 miles away and I can get them cheap.

Where do they get the seeds to grow such pie plants??
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too good partcooker! The old ladies at the church always love our meat! Wink
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 2:42 am    Post subject: Hey Mike, Pigged Jigged or Bust? Reply with quote

Hey Mike, how did you do?
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about catering...How do you do it? Smoking takes so long, do you cook the food ahead of time and then reheat? Do you start the cooking the night before and then pull the rig to the event and kinda crank everything up for a big show when you get there or what? Someone asked me to do a BBQ dinner for 50 folks and I figure that i could make the food, but how in the hell do you present it?
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 3:15 am    Post subject: In response Reply with quote

Both. Most of the time I come out 10 ours early and put the meat on right away. Then I set up tables, get the buffet line ready, and just make sure everything is ready. Three hours before serving time I slap the chicken and the beans on, by the time I'm done with that I start pulling and chopping the meat by hand, then I start filling my serving bowls or trays with the cold sides, set them on the table while the chopped BBQ is back in the cooker staying warm while covered in foil, then I take the meat (and chicken) out and place it on the serving line 5 minutes before serving time. I slao flip the chicken normally twice through it's three hour cooking time.

Then let them dig in. Then I just watch and re-fill as needed. Sounds easy, but it's not. It's a lot of hustiling. time scheduling, and anticipation.

Thats how I do it.
It's hard to do all of that for a party of 50.
I did it this summer but trying to minimize doing it from here on out.
When I do a party of 50 I cook Boston Butts instead of shoulders.
So i can cook them 6 hours instead of 10 hours.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg, there are some threads here under catering- look around.

The rules vary state to state. Check with your local health department, get a liscense and liability insurance, pay for advertising etc. You cannot legally cook meats out of your home in most areas. Cookies and baked goods I.E. bake sale items only. I routinely cook for parties of over 500 guests, not easy but it can be done! Good luck! Very Happy
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Dawg, there are some threads here under catering- look around.

The rules vary state to state. Check with your local health department, get a liscense and liability insurance, pay for advertising etc. You cannot legally cook meats out of your home in most areas. Cookies and baked goods I.E. bake sale items only. I routinely cook for parties of over 500 guests, not easy but it can be done! Good luck! Very Happy

Oh i dont have much interest in doing it right now, but it might be a good retirement gig...just seems kinda crazy when you think that some of the items I smoke take 16 hours or so...that is a lot of time at the place...

hmm..I guess it is all something to look into..I am going to wait until the spring before I really look into anything so I can take the "How to start a new food business" class at the university...sadly I already missed it this year..
icu8bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: In response Reply with quote

pARTYCOOKER wrote:

I slao flip the chicken normally twice through it's three hour cooking time.

When I do a party of 50 I cook Boston Butts instead of shoulders.
So i can cook them 6 hours instead of 10 hours.

pARTYCOOKER. What temps do you cook at? 3 hrs for chicken and 6 hrs for butts is way better than I can do at 225-250. Confused
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 8:47 am    Post subject: IN RESPONSE Reply with quote

I cook at or around 235 pending on the outside temp.
Thats why my chicken pieces seem to take so long.
I have to cok them slow and long because it typically shares
the same cooking space as the BBQ.

The shoulders I get are normally around 16 pounds a piece.
Hence the 10 hours of cooking time before the meat literally falls off the bone. When I get a call for 50 people and I don't want to be there for 10 hours I go for Boston Butts at or around 6 to 8 pounds which yields a less cooking time at or around 5 to 6 hours.

I cook it all at 235. Aim to anyway, unless the some bride decides to eat one hour early half way through or somehting.
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05 05 9:09 am    Post subject: chicken time Reply with quote

I say three hours for my chicken because the last two hours of cooking my lid to my cooker is open a lot so it cooks for about three hours.
But I place them on really four hours before serving time to offset the loss of heat during the ladder part. If that makes any sense to read.

Breast goes on last becasue they seem to dry out if left on for too long.
My cooker is very effiecient so it spoils me. I've done two parties this summer for 85+ people all by myself becasue my cooker works so well.
It is homemade though. Is not in production.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: