FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Stumps SW 3x5 Happy Story!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13 07 10:22 pm    Post subject: My Stumps SW 3x5 Happy Story! Reply with quote

Well after all the hoo-ha on the other Stumps thread, thought I would share some good stuff about my cooker!

For it's size, this baby really cooks a lot of food. The reverse flow design is also a great "flavorizer". The fats and other smutz drip onto the heat transfer plate directly beneath the food grates.

This creates some smoke that typically would be created when grilling. Unlike my big cooker, this adds a lot of flavor depth you would not normally get (unless you have a reverse flow cooker, or something with tuning plates to create the same effect)

Like any reverse flow cooker, it likes the wood. But that is just typical of the design, not a problem (unless wood is scarce in your area)

Real wood fired BBQ, great "flavorizer" effect, and ample space -just doesn't get any better than that!

The grease drain system was also well thought out, and makes it easier to clean at the end of a long BBQ day. Just drop the tongue, open the valve, and drain the grease into a bucket.

I'm cooking 8 butts and three large briskets today (and have room to spare, not including the upper rack!)

Food p*rn to follow!

Fire burning nicely after 45 minutes. This pic also shows the raised fire grate topped by 7 gage expanded metal- works GREAT!

3 Nice briskets surrounded by pork butts.

BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 07 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added some pics to this thread!

Almost 100 views and no comments?!
Roosters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 07 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Almost 100 views and no comments?!

Well..........most of us had to go get something to eat after looking at that Laughing Darn that looks good Exclamation
stillsmokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some GREAT chow BBQMAN. That is a whole lotta food.I have to ask... how consistant is the stumps, how fast does it recover???
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stillsmokin: the recovery time is minimal, depending on how long you have the door open. Very similar to any other smoker.

The temps are very consistent side to side, and front to back on the bottom rack. The top rack runs about 15' hotter on average (heat rises), and I use that to my advantage.

Unlike the cabinet style smokers, this one is an offset log burner. For it's size, it also cooks whole hog and a larger quantity of meat.

This is a very good cooker that just about does it all. Unlike the cabinet styles, it is not set-and-forget. You do need to add logs (splits) every hour or so.

Once it comes up to temp. (about an hour) it will maintain that temp easily all day long!

This is what we are actually looking at:

No, it did not come with the grills or tank mounts. It will be getting a roof sytem overhead just shortly...............................

I certainly don't want to give the wrong impression (thus the reason for this post) that I don't like my Stumps (I'm referring to that "other" thread). The newer versions of this cooker have the kinks worked out of them, and for the money are a very good deal! Very Happy
elk
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fire box looks like it'd be easy to keep clean.
I have 2-4" square tubes going into the cooking chamber on my DP inspired cooker and get that 'flavorizing' effect when the grease hits those pipes. How many butts can you fit on their at once, both racks?
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom rack will easily hold 16

The top another 6 or so.

The newer versions come with three shelves.

Nice thing about this set-up is that the upper racks come out, and you can fit large cuts on the bottom with room to spare. I cook a lot of whole hog.

This unit also cooks 18 slabs (two cases) of ribs laying flat out using both racks.

The newer version I'm sure will hold more. Rib racks would roughly double the rib capacity.
elk
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I built my cooker, I never ever thought I'd need anything bigger, but when I cook people are always doing the "hey if buy a couple will you cook mine too?", thing; so I'm usually pretty full. I can 10-butts at a time.
Smokin' Don
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all BBQMAN thanks for the Happy Story!

Nice looking rig! Glad to hear you were able to get fix and working they way you wanted. I like the Grills you added. It makes for a complete outfit and complements each other. One question, in the pic. with the briskets and pork butts I see pans under the grates, are they drip pans or do you put water in there?

Smoke On!

Lone Star Back Yard Clone
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are drip pans Don- helps out a little with the clean-up! Very Happy

The grills were added on because, well, I needed grills! Laughing

The swing out canopies will look like a gull-wing type of a simple "A" frame mounting. I got the frames fabbed this week, just need to mount them after the hoolidays.

The grills look like this:

Smokin' Don
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That would help a lot with the clean-up. I will have to give that a try next time.

Be sure to post pic after you get the conopies mounted.

Smoke On!

Lone Star Back Yard Clone
texanx5
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking rig kind of a baby version of mine.

and with food

yes these units are little know but boy do they cook. I've cooked around 80 pork butts in mine now on several occasions and I've only had it a few months. I understand the '08 model of these smokers will have an insulated fire box also so that should help some on the fuel usage.

Great to see another for I've only seen about four of these units and two where at Stumps shop the other in Dothan.

old Smokey
WSM a.k.a. Weber Smokey Mountain
Stumps Smoker (custom mobile unit with a Stretch and sw42x6 offset)
ttownsmoker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 07 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the new Stumps PLatinium's. Mine is a 5 ft Hog Cooker mounted on the back of a 15 ft enclosed trailer. I have really enjoyed mine so far. I will get to really break it in next week when I cook 200 hams and then the day after the hams are done ...I start on 150 Boston Butts, both fund raisers for a High School just down the road. I will try to post some pics of my Stumps ....wish me luck ...I am not "computer savy" ...lol

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/ttownump/InsidePlatniumHogCooker.jpg[/IMG]

JoeD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 07 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn Shocked you guys have some serious rigs, nice ones nevertheless!

Until I have mine finished, the only fire I'll be playing with is around my fire place Crying or Very sad
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 07 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ THAT is bad ass. May keep that grill idea in mind for my Fat 50...who needs extra cargo space right???

Keep the pics coming...those briskets look good!
Klose Offset
2 labradors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: