FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roxy's Kicked Up Corn Bread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 05 3:53 am    Post subject: Roxy's Kicked Up Corn Bread Reply with quote

Roxy's Kicked Up Corn Bread

3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Jalapeno peppers, diced with seeds or without, your choice.
1 cup cubed Monterey Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
Bacon drippings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Directions
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Place cast iron fry pan in oven for 10 minutes
- Pour bacon drippings into fry pan and brush to coat pan, reserve excess drippings.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in butter milk, drippings, cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth.
- Stir in Jalapeno's, cheese and bacon.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of the bread comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
LIAR #100

Last edited by roxy on Tue Dec 13 05 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
krazylegs
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 05 5:06 am    Post subject: cornbread Reply with quote

Hey roxy I will be trying this this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. It sounds really good with the bacon in it I have heard of this recipie with cheese, jalopinoes, and whole corn. I didnt care for it but, THIS WITH PORK FAT!!! well now I will have to give this a try.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 05 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried cornbread like this before, with cheese, bacon and jalapenos. Let me tell you something, you'll never find a better cornbread...

NEVER I SAY!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!! Twisted Evil
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 05 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Emeril always says......you gotta love pork fat!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 05 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell ya, I dont make this stuff too often as I eat way too much of it. Give me a side of butter and I'm good.
LIAR #100
deb

PostPosted: Wed May 24 06 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about trying cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet.
This sounds like a good one to try. I need to buy a skillet....Roxy what size do you use for this recipe? Thanks for your reply.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

preheat your skillet in the oven while you preheat the oven.

and leave out the sugar...

oh wait is this the place where we dont talk about someone's recipe?

my bad...
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a winner to me. Smile

GIANT BBQ
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deb wrote:
This sounds like a good one to try. I need to buy a skillet....Roxy what size do you use for this recipe? Thanks for your reply.

I use a 12 inch skillet for the corn bread and as the Dawgfart mentioned I heat the skillet up in the oven while its preheating.
LIAR #100
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
preheat your skillet in the oven while you preheat the oven.

and leave out the sugar...

oh wait is this the place where we dont talk about someone's recipe?

my bad...

If you had taken the time to read the recipe before you churped in you would have seen that I mentioned preheating the skillet in the oven. Wink Wink Laughing

If ya dont like the recipe... Dawg fart

Post you own, I'm more than sure you couple.
Laughing Laughing Wink
Thanks for your 2 cents, that must have been canadian pennies as it wasnt worth much.
Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing
LIAR #100
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
deb wrote:

I use a 12 inch skillet for the corn bread and as the Dawgfart mentioned I heat the skillet up in the oven while its preheating.

sorry I missd that part...coxy....is that what we are doing, coxy?

I missed the part about pre-heating the oven and since every cornbread recipe I have ever seen called for that I thought that I would mention it.

I also know that sugar is often optional in cornbread recipes...as for being able to talk about someone elses recipes, I couldnt remember if this was in the place where you could talk about recipes or not...you seem to have some sort of rules about which recipes someone can comment on...

I dont know why you had to jump to name calling right away, but it seems to be your MO anytime someone makes a comment about your precious recipes...

Oh and I have posted some recipes @ http://www.newsouthbbq.com under the recipes section if anyone wants to check them out and make any comments about them, I would love to hear them....I aint changing them, but wouldnt mind hearing them.... Wink
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....kumbaya folks....kumbaya Rolling Eyes

Dawg....you just love to stir the chit pot don't ya'? Might help if you took more time to read what people post than to figure out how to flame 'em. Instead of trying to "correct" someone elses recipe, why not just post DawgPhan's cornbread recipe on a seperate thread and give people the option to try both?

While I'm on my soapbox, and to be consistent, since you've got your business in start up mode and you're pluggin' it here pretty heavy on the forum, why don't you contact Garry, pony up some advertising bucks, and properly advertise your sauce here like the rest of the advertisers do? It's the right thing to do. Wink

K....I'm done.....for now.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
Well.....kumbaya folks....kumbaya Rolling Eyes

Dawg....you just love to stir the chit pot don't ya'? Might help if you took more time to read what people post than to figure out how to flame 'em. Instead of trying to "correct" someone elses recipe, why not just post DawgPhan's cornbread recipe on a seperate thread and give people the option to try both?

While I'm on my soapbox, and to be consistent, since you've got your business in start up mode and you're pluggin' it here pretty heavy on the forum, why don't you contact Garry, pony up some advertising bucks, and properly advertise your sauce here like the rest of the advertisers do? It's the right thing to do. Wink

K....I'm done.....for now.

ugghh...I did read it I simply missed it...and posting preheat your skillet and leave out the sugar is hardly flaming...Hell I was just offering up my opinions on a recipe...which is the main point of this website...basically everything we do on this board is talking about recipes and offering up tips and opinions...

Oh and I have pretty much stated that I dont post recipes on this board...It is not something that I will ever really do. If you want recipes from me, you know where to find them...

And why am I stirring the pot, but ole roxy can right away go into name calling and basically "yelling" those slurs and yet I am the one stirring the pot...

How am I heavily plugging my website on this board...I made 1 thread about the website to get some opinions and I put it in my signature...several folks on this board have websites in their signature and I believe that this thread is the first time that I have made reference to my website outside of the New South BBQ thread. I will pay for advertising when and if I feel like it is going to benefit me and mine. If garry doesnt like what I am doing in regards to heavily plugging my website he can say something about it. Until then I will continue to heavily plug my website, by rarely talking about it outside of the 1 thread dedicated to it...

but thanks for your opinion...I will be sure to file it away....
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Mike. you've been plugging a little harder than you think, time to give something back. as far as the rest, i felt like you were flaming him also. you both have a lot of good info. we dont need a flame war.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now instead of stepping all over someones post a better response would have been:

That recipe sounds great Roxy! The wonderful thing about cornbread is all of the different ways to fix it. You can omit the sugar and add shredded cheddar cheese, with the minced Japs if they liked a more savory flavor. You can add cream corn and cut back on the butter milk. You could make the batter real stiff and cook it on a shovel on an open fire for old style Hoe cakes. Even add more sugar and nutmeg, make a stiff batter, form into banana shaped cakes and deep fry till golden brown for Jamacan style "Festival Cakes". Great stuff Roxy! BTW I hope ya don't mind me chiming in. It was just so inspiring! Wink

Now I know there have been toes steped on in the past but it's time to get over it. This type of posting sours our nice little forum. Smile

GIANT BBQ
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogie494 wrote:
i agree with Mike. you've been plugging a little harder than you think, time to give something back. as far as the rest, i felt like you were flaming him also. you both have a lot of good info. we dont need a flame war.

Please show me where...I just checked my posts going back to the start of the month, and considering that there wasnt a company before that I figured it was far enough. There is the New South thread, I started to get some folks to check out the website and tell me what they though...If you dont want to read about it, it is clearly marked and easy to avoid.

There is the signature's dont work thread, where someone else turned it to my new company, not me.

There is the sauce exchange thread where I mentioned that i make my own sauce and that I would like to exchange with someone...no mention of my company...Oh and I have yet to have any one take me up on that either...I am just looking for a vinegar based sauce to trade with...or maybe a white sauce....either would be great...

and this thread were it was done tongue in cheek.

I dont particulary like when folks use message boards where folks do nothing but push their auctions or products...so if I am doing that, please show me where...

as for the recipe, I get it...this is the no comments zone for recipes...fine. My bad...I made a mistake...it wont happen again....no need for roxy to jump right to the offensive, but so be it...you guys want to give him carte blanche when it comes to slurring folks...fine by me...no more commenting about people's recipes in the recipe section...got it...
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogie494 wrote:

and commenting on someone's recipe isnt flaming...
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
You could make the batter real stiff and cook it on a shovel on an open fire for old style Hoe cakes. Even add more sugar and nutmeg, make a stiff batter, form into banana shaped cakes and deep fry till golden brown for Jamacan style "Festival Cakes".

I have got to get out of Houston more often! Learn something new every day.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg, take a deep breath man. Roxy has been admonished many a time here for his strong opinions. I can still remember his rant on college football. Laughing Anyway Dawg, What about Cornbread? Tell us how you like it man. I for one would rather read your input on Hoe Cakes than continue this argument. Wink

Lets Move On Exclamation Cool

GIANT BBQ
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 25 06 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right Dawg, you werent flaming, yet. just seemed like you were a little wound up about it is all. both you guys are a wealth of info and lord knows that i wouldn't be any where near where i am smoking without guys like you two. so "can't we all get along"? besides i like corn bread!! its like a bald cupcake! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: