FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

old time summer sausage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokercraft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04 07 5:23 pm    Post subject: old time summer sausage Reply with quote

Would like to find a good recipe for summer sausage like wenzels. Have been trying all tipes of seasonings but just can't get that good taste to come out. Most places will not give you there secrets of that old time taste. I guess thats why I can't find that spice that Iam looking for. Can't blame them. Can someone help.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 07 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the slightly sour taste of a good summer sausage?

You need a fermenting agent if that is what you are looking for.
In the olden days they used to "backslop" the fresh meat to get it to ferment.

(Backslopping is adding some of the previous batch to the new meat so they enzymes responsible for the fermentation could act on the new meat)

I'll look through my recipes and see if I have anything for you.
smokercraft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 07 1:54 pm    Post subject: summer sausage Reply with quote

Yes I think that is the taste I'am looking for. Any help I would be greatful for. Thanks
ChileFarmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 07 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add any information, but am interested in reading how its done. Been wanting to ask the same questions my self. CF
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 07 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have not made summer sausage, I do know that the additive you need is Fermento: http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1489&osCsid=undefined

Good Luck!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to list "fermento" as the product but I have not seen that product for years. and when I ask about it, people look at me like I have an arm growing from my forehead.

Thank you for listing the link to get it at Allied. I am very happy now.

I am planning on making some Bear-meat & beef summer sausage in the next few weeks. Time to call allied kenco.

I am still looking for my summer sausage recipe's for you.
I had to migrate several less used items to a spare external hard drive becuase I filled my 80GB one in the puter. I bet it is in there.
smokercraft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 4:21 am    Post subject: sausage Reply with quote

Thank you for the info I also found it at (sausagemaker.com) I will try this next time I get venison. Which is in a few weeks. Will wait to see if you find your recipe.
rjmontana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 2:58 am    Post subject: another option Reply with quote

Might also look at www.eldonsausage.com and try part# EKC-848. This is their version called "Sausage Tang" and is designed to bring out that very flavor in summer and other cooked sausage. Just another option.
RJ in Montana..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: