FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roxy's cole slaw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grizz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25 09 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie,

Iím doing 30 lbs of shoulder for 40 people next weekend and wanted to serve slaw with the pulled pork sammiches, so made up a batch of your first slaw recipe to taste test before offering it to guests. The last slaw that I had by itself, not on a pp sammich, was in í72, when I got food poisoning from it and puked for three days, so I was a little apprehensious, too say the least. Will it was great!. Had the taste test in the afternoon, some for desert last night and some for lunch today. I think Iíll make up your kicked up version for next weekend.

Thank you so much!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25 09 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizz wrote:
Roxie,

Iím doing 30 lbs of shoulder for 40 people next weekend and wanted to serve slaw with the pulled pork sammiches, so made up a batch of your first slaw recipe to taste test before offering it to guests. The last slaw that I had by itself, not on a pp sammich, was in í72, when I got food poisoning from it and puked for three days, so I was a little apprehensious, too say the least. Will it was great!. Had the taste test in the afternoon, some for desert last night and some for lunch today. I think Iíll make up your kicked up version for next weekend.

Thank you so much!

Grizz..

Just glad I could have a part in your coming back to partaking in the slaw..

I think you will dig the kicked up version as well... It has bacon..!!
LIAR #100
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03 09 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm jumping in late, but Roxy, I think you're really onto something here! I made a small batch of coleslaw with the diced pickle, the pickle juice, and some buttermilk. I changed the proportions - I used 1/4 teaspoon of sugar and of celery seed, also I used 1/2 cup of buttermilk instead of 1-1/2. I left out the onion, green onion and mustard too. I made the dressing with homemade mayonnaise, which tastes enormously different from anything you can buy. The coleslaw dressing was outstanding!

There was a little bit of the dressing left over since I only had a part of a very small head of cabbage. I put some on my plate when we had fried potatoes, and it worked really surprisingly well as a condiment. The really killer use came tonight, though, when I made what we call entree baked potatoes. These are just baked russets with a bunch of toppings:

butter
caramelized onion
sauteed mushrooms
crock-potted beef chunks with extra liquid
grated cheddar cheese

I tried adding a little of the coleslaw dressing to my baked potato, and ya know, it was REAL moist and delicious!

Here's my crock pot beef chunks recipe:

1-1/2 pounds beef chunks (use cheap meat), cut into strips maybe 1x1/2x3"
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can beef broth
1/4 cup cider vinegar

Add all ingredients to the crock pot and stew until the meat is falling-apart tender. Pour the liquid off into a pan and set it over high heat to reduce volume to 1/3 of what it had been. Shred the beef in the crock pot pan, forming strings. After the liquid has reduced, add the meat to the pan and stir to combine.

One last thing - I buy a pint of buttermilk and use 1/2 cup in the coleslaw dressing and use the other
1-1/2 cups in your awesome corn bread recipe! Thanks so much for posting these!

seattlepitboss
AUTiger_1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07 09 5:25 am    Post subject: Thanks Roxy!! Reply with quote

Thanks Roxy for posting that recipe! A lot of folks wouldn't have done that. I agree with you. I haven't posted much here, but I have been lurking and reading for a while now and I am amazed at what I have learned and picked up so far. Good to know that there is a site around like this where we can all help each other make better bbq.
AUTiger_1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone loved the slaw, the only thing I did was sprinkle a little paparika on top to give it a presentation look. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it was delicious.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t129/section8_2007/101_0591.jpg
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know about the paprika on slaw, I prefer it on potato salad myself but to each their own..

Glad every one liked it..
LIAR #100
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the "kicked up" version.. slightly different.. my wife's favorite cole slaw of all time..

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6252
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 09 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr wrote:
Check out the "kicked up" version.. slightly different.. my wife's favorite cole slaw of all time..

Glad ya found that one.. Wink

If I am making slaw as a side it is always the kicked up version. IMO it is all flavour of the original recipe plus bacon..... I freakin love bacon, I have gone through 4 lbs this week at home.. Well, I did make 40 ABT's for the staff at work, a couple bacon sammiches and pasta carbonara.

For adding to a pulled pork sammich I use the original recipe.
LIAR #100
AUTiger_1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27 09 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
tinovr wrote:

If I am making slaw as a side it is always the kicked up version. IMO it is all flavour of the original recipe plus bacon..... I freakin love bacon, I have gone through 4 lbs this week at home.. Well, I did make 40 ABT's for the staff at work, a couple bacon sammiches and pasta carbonara.

Me too, bacon is mighty good. The kicked up recipe sounds delicious as well. My in-laws have requested the salw again for this Sunday's lunch. I may surprise them with it.

Believe it or not, no one really tasted the paprika on the slaw, if they did they didn't mention it, all they wanted to know is how I came up with it and if there was more of it. Your name was mentioned a lot that day Very Happy Once again thanks for sharing these recipes, it's hard to find something like that or come up with it on your own.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27 09 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUTiger_1 wrote:
roxy wrote:
tinovr wrote:

Me too, bacon is mighty good. The kicked up recipe sounds delicious as well. My in-laws have requested the salw again for this Sunday's lunch. I may surprise them with it.

Believe it or not, no one really tasted the paprika on the slaw, if they did they didn't mention it, all they wanted to know is how I came up with it and if there was more of it. Your name was mentioned a lot that day Very Happy Once again thanks for sharing these recipes, it's hard to find something like that or come up with it on your own.

The original recipe took me well over 15 years of tweaking and tinkering before I was happy with it enough to post the recipe. It was a work in progress with many contributing factors.

If your family liked the original I am sure they will love the kicked up version. Some times it helps to drink while making food... I think it lowers your inhibitions and well, at least for me in this case, helps with creativity.. Laughing
LIAR #100
AUTiger_1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27 09 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
AUTiger_1 wrote:
roxy wrote:
tinovr wrote:

The original recipe took me well over 15 years of tweaking and tinkering before I was happy with it enough to post the recipe. It was a work in progress with many contributing factors.

If your family liked the original I am sure they will love the kicked up version. Some times it helps to drink while making food... I think it lowers your inhibitions and well, at least for me in this case, helps with creativity.. Laughing

I had to laugh, that is what is usually going on when I am cooking Smile
pjm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!

Does this come out real creamy and mayonaise-y? Because I hate mayo! Twisted Evil Seriously! I like it just right without being too creamy.

I am going to try it this weekend when I do my first butt. I make homemade potato salad but haven't tackled slaw yet.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjm wrote:
Thanks for sharing!

Does this come out real creamy and mayonaise-y? Because I hate mayo! Twisted Evil Seriously! I like it just right without being too creamy.

I am going to try it this weekend when I do my first butt. I make homemade potato salad but haven't tackled slaw yet.

Because of the buttermilk, the sauce is rather thin and it does require a slotted spoon to serve it up. Would not say its "too mayonnaise-y.
LIAR #100
giono2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08 09 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea about where this comes out weight wise? I need to get it to about 10 pounds for a party this weekend. I know there are a few variables, but anybody field a guess?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08 09 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giono2 wrote:
Any idea about where this comes out weight wise? I need to get it to about 10 pounds for a party this weekend. I know there are a few variables, but anybody field a guess?

I would think if you times 4 of the recipe you should be in the range.. maybe 5 times depending on the size of the cabbage.

10 pounds of slaw, you got some party going on for sure.
LIAR #100
giono2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08 09 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
10 pounds of slaw, you got some party going on for sure.

I'm counting on 50 maybe 55 people, and the spreadsheet I am using says about 20 pounds of total sides. I'm figuring about 10 pounds each of slaw and beans. Shooting for 3.2 ounces of each side per person.
Proetus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01 10 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great slaw recipe! made it this weekend to go with my first Butt. Was great on the sandwich. It's just the two of us so i'll cut it in half next time.
Proetus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04 10 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow been three months since i made this last! Just made half a batch for my feast tomorrow. Brisket, Chicken, Moink balls, Beans and cornbread!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05 10 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proetus wrote:
Wow been three months since i made this last! Just made half a batch for my feast tomorrow. Brisket, Chicken, Moink balls, Beans and cornbread!

Sounds good to me dude.. I'll be there in time for dinner... Wink
LIAR #100
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05 11 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this for the first time today, I know, what took so long?

I didn't find it very.....

Just kidding. It was awesome!

My wife usually makes salad and such.
I made this one and we were both impressed.

Thanks dude!

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: