FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roxy's cole slaw
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07 05 3:22 am    Post subject: Roxy's cole slaw Reply with quote

This is a recipe I have worked on for a while and I think it is just about right. It goes well with just about anything from fried fish to hamburgers and is to die for on a pulled pork sandwich. If you are going to use it with BBQ, reduce the amount of dressing you add to the cabbage so its not to sloppy or not.

SLAW:
1 cabbage, coarsely grated
1 carrot, finely grated
1 sweet onion, minced
3 green onions, minced
1 medium sized dill pickle, minced

DRESSING:
1 garlic clove pulverized with a tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup dill pickle juice
1/8 cup vinegar
2 tbsp mustard
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. celery seed
Pinch cayenne pepper

1 Combine cabbage, carrot, onions and dill pickle in a large mixing bowl.
2 Whisk together mayonnaise and buttermilk. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until uniform.
3 Pour over cabbage mixture and incorporate.
For best results refrigerate over night to allow flavors to marry.
LIAR #100

Last edited by roxy on Wed Dec 30 09 7:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 05 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a batch of this last night. Served it next to my world famous fried Crappie. Everyone loved it.

Thanks for sharing Roxy!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 05 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-O:

I am glad you liked the slaw. I dont believe, as you already know, in hogging recipes or ideas when it comes to cooking, thats not the way I was taught.
I have observed that when it comes to BBQ, a lot of folks guard their formulas and recipes as though they were gold, I guess thats fine if your a professional trying to make money on the circuit but I think that this site is about sharing and helping each other to make better BBQ and the sides, in my opinion, are just as important as the main course. If what I have learned through the years helps in any way then to me its a fair trade.
I have learned a lot from you guys about smoking and working a pit and it has taken years off the learning curve, just tring to give a little back.
LIAR #100
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 05 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roxy, I'm going to try this on Sat. Let me ask you a question. Last weekend I made some coleslaw and the dressing was just perfect. I poured it over the cabbage and carrots and it just turned into a watery mess and the beautiful taste of the dressing was gone. I used an organic cabbage that was actually spicy like fresh radishes can be. The dressing was absolutly perfect till it hit the cabbage. Any idea what might have happened? Thanks

Zilla
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 05 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there might have been some water in there some how. Did you wash the cabbage or was it wet..??
That cabbage sounds interesting, is there a name for it that you know of. I have never heard of anything other that the usual red and green types and their flavour is always as usual...
LIAR #100
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 05 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was soak the cabbage in ice water for a few hours. This was supposed to crisp the cabbage and reduce some of the powerful flavor that cabbage can have. I suppose it must have given off more moisture than I anticipated ( as I probably didn't drain it well enough" when it came time to mix in the dressing. There was a label on the cabbage but I don’t recall what brand it was. I can tell you however that organic and garden grown veggies often have much different textures and flavors than we are used to in mass farmed produce. I have never had a “Hot" Radish from the store but the ones from our garden when I was a kid used to knock my socks off. This cabbage was really spicy and I’m no “hot food” panty waste. I am go ing to try your recipe and my recipe with very well drained and dried cabbage. I will repot on the results. I plan to smoke some Butt tomorrow as it is the perfect excuse to keep me around the house instead of running errands. Wink

I have some painting I want to do and my wife wants to go to the lake. Shocked Thanks for the input man

Zilla
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 05 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla:

I dont think I have ever washed cabbage, I just grate it up, thats it. Im not so concerned with sprays as all of the outer leaves have been removed and a few tiny bugs never hurt anyone... Laughing Laughing
LIAR #100
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11 05 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pickle juice, vinegar, salt, and sugar are going to draw out some water from the cabbage. My batch had some liquid in the bottom of the container the next morning. But I just tossed it again and no problems. I think yours had to do with soaking in water.

I'm with roxy. Just core it. Pull off any discolored outside leaves. And chop.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11 05 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I got brisket and a butt all rubbed down and ready to go, a monster cabbage ready to be made into slaw, cold heiniken in the fridge, fresh keizers from the bakery. Oh man, an I doing to dine tonight. I'll leave an empty chair at the table for you guys.
LIAR #100
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11 05 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy, I'll be there in spirit Bro.

Steve-O, Roxy, Thanks guys for your input on the slaw. If I get it right I'll post the dressing recipe, It is awesome. I smoked fresh sausage, chicken and ribs with a raspberry chipotle slather yesterday, Sam Adams Black Ale, Sautéed cabbage. Wink While cutting all the meat I thought about taking some pics but the family descended on the food and all presentation was lost. Great smoke ring on the sausage and ribs.

Roxy, You mentioned Kaiser rolls. Have you ever made "Beef on Weck" Sliced roast beef on Kummel Weck rolls? It's an upstate NY thing. Just wondering.

Peace Gents, Zilla
Texacue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 23 06 10:14 pm    Post subject: Cole Slaw Reply with quote

I think I might try this recipe on my next cookout. I've never been a big fan of cole slaw but I'm coming around as I've had some pretty decent slaw recently at of all places a Thai restaurant. The missus absolutely loves cole slaw so she'll be excited when I make it for her. I bet the pork/slaw combo tastes out of this world. The Thai restaurant had it paired with Teriyaki over sticky rice and you would a killed over a bowl of the stuff.

Thanks for the recipe Roxy.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 23 06 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you like it.

I make at the mission for dinner now and again and the folks start a jumpin when they see the slaw on the plates.. Laughing
LIAR #100
62trvler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02 06 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROXY, thanks for the help and the recipe. It looks delicious and I am going to try it when I get home first thing.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02 06 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure dude, let me know how ya like it... Wink
LIAR #100
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06 06 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Roxy...

The recipe for the slaw was great... Thanks a lot!!...

I "tweaked" it just a tad after my first batch (made 4 batches to feed 50)... Only used 1/4 sweet onion (the ones available here right now were really big - so may have been in line with you here anyway depending on the size of onion you used), cut the buttermilk back to 3/4 cup (to make it a little thicker), and used a pretty strong "pinch" of cayenne pepper for a little more "zing"... Was a hit...

Was not quite for certain just how onion and dill pickles might "fit" into cole slaw... Use 'em in my tater salad, but never before in my slaw... They did real well!!... I like a touch of horseradish in my coleslaw as well, and may add just a little in next time...

Anyway - this is a great recipe... Glad I gave it a whirl...

Thanks again!! Cool

"Jesus Loved Barbeque, Too" - Kinky Friedman
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06 06 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pickles are a touch my late ex-father in law always used when he made slaw. I really enjoyed it a lot so I began adding them to my cole slaw in his memory.

Onions go good with just about everything..

Glad to hear ya liked it. Smile Very Happy
LIAR #100
DaHorns
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08 07 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy, I made this slaw today and it was out of this world. I had the same problem Zilla did, but I didnt wash it. Anyway, it was a hit. I was leery of the pickle but that made it that much better. Thanks for the recipe!!!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08 07 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad ya liked it DaHorns.

The slaw is a bit wet so I like to use a slotted spoon to serve it up that way you dont end up with that much liquid.

If you make it without the buttermilk it is the usual consistance but I find the buttermilk adds a lot to the flavour...

Now ya got to try my new kicked up version. Wink
LIAR #100
tucciim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20 07 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can remove a lot of the water from the cabbage with a good salting after grating. it does make the cabbage not quite as crunchy so it's a trade off.

grate it, salt it, let it sit for a few and then rinse and spin.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20 07 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slaw is wet because of the dressing, it is that way from the start unlike a straight mayo dressing that clings to the slaw.

I use a slotted spoon to serve the slaw up and have no problems as the rest overnight in the fridge lets all the flavours soak into the cabbage.

Your idea is a valid one and would be very useful if making a vinegar/oil/sugar dressing, but for me I like the crunch of the cabbage because when used to top a pulled pork sammich it is part of the texture sensation.
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: