FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quick pork shoulder roast ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 11:04 am    Post subject: quick pork shoulder roast ? Reply with quote

so i have 2 pork shoulder roasts on the smoker and i have been running at 250 all day (since 11am), they are 7lbs. i know the 1.5-2 hrs/lb cooking time. but i got to get to bed soon. they are at 169*. how much longer?
i had to buy these as they had not butts and ive never cooked these. i have poked em in diffrent spots and probe slides in like butter. so are they done or just keep going till they hit 195-200?
jason
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason - I would wrap them in aluminum foil, put them in a dry cooler, cover them with a bunch of towels. They will continue cooking in the cooler, and in the morning will be just fine. In fact, they will still be too hot to handle without some gloves or something to hold them with.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to do with them as eats?

If you are intending to use them as pulled pork they may not pull well but if you are going to slice and chop they are probably good already.

If you want to run them a little quicker, then foil them and pop them back on the pit set your alarm and go out and check on it in about 3 hours.

Or you could foil them or not, and put them in your regular oven set on its lowest settiing also get up in 3 hours and turn them off then.

You will already have a good smoke on them, sometimes needs must dictate how we finish things off!

I still work here!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes thanks guys! i will try to stick it out. i got a movie i can watch. im just a little bummed i didnt get em on the smoker earlier. it was the first time the wife and i could go out last night since we had our daughter in april.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked em the are 185*. im plannin on pullin em.
CtheSmoke
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 07 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's too late now but for the next time. I had the same thing happen to me with some spare ribs. I took them off and wrapped them and put them in the oven. I over slept and awoke with a start the next morning...

Ended up having the best ribs ever...

Your roast was on long enough to asorb all the smoke it was going to get... You could have done the same thing, wrap'em and put them in the oven with the timer set...
krek
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they turn out?
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30 07 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes excellent! the smoke ring penetrated nicely. i pulled one last night fo rthe potluck at work and the other was for a co-worker who is gonna make tamales with it. i smoked some beef ribs yesterday with these and those were awesome. super tender, moist, better than a pork rib IMO.
jason

i will post pics later.
Thom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 07 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know how the coworker's tamales turned out. I'm thinking of using some smoked pork or beef and make some. Have never used smoked meat before. The whole tamale making process is so labor and time intensive, wanted to know how they turned before I tackle it. Perhaps your coworker would share his/her method and sauce recipe?

Thanks,
T.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 07 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will let you know hwo the tamales come out. he said was gonna make some chili also.
jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: