FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with info on buying a new smoker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering Stickys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigdaddyMatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 07 3:50 am    Post subject: help with info on buying a new smoker Reply with quote

Asking for help with info on buying a new smoker.

I have been looking at the Lang reverse flow deluxe with grill. I would like to keep it under $3500 and it needs to be on a trailer.

I would like for it to be able to cook for up to 300 or a whole hog (150lb). Please tell me what kind of smoker you use and your likes and dislikes.

I know this is a big task. I�m starting to get more people asking me to cook for them and I don�t have the right equipment, so it�s running me to death.

I have 3 small smokers and 1 Barbeques Galore Bar-B-Chef smoker (love it) Very Happy and 2 regular grills. Looking to by at Christmas. Wink Thanks for all the help. BigDaddyMatt
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 07 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there BigdaddyMatt!

Not quite sure that your budget and the need to feed 300 people will match.

I would do the math on cooker space vrs number of people that the given amount of food will feed.

A friend of mine recently purchase a Lang 84 with oven, and it is a nice sized cooker for the money (around $4,000).

With ribs racks and an additional large grill you might just have what you need to get started.

I would also look at some Stumps models, like the Langs they are built in Georgia which will save you some money on shipping delivery fees.

The larger Stumps hog cooker is really sweet, but not in that price range.

My SW 3X5 will cook that size hog no problem, but will not feed 300 people................I bought it as an option for parties in the 100-125 guest count range.

Good luck with your quest!
Big Tom
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 07 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumps offers a larger version of the SW3x5 that BBQMAN has and uses.

The big daddy non insulated offset smoker from Stump's is the SW6x42. This model is the simiar in size and capacity to the "top of the line" Platinum 6. The estimated capacity is 600#, I've heard of 75 butts being cooked on an early prototype Platinum 6.

The SW6x42 is a reverse flow, stick burner type offset smoker. Three cooking racks allow for the capacity. The racks are nearly 72" wide. Retail on this model is around $4000

The SW3x5 is advertised at 450# capacity. The newer models feature three cooking racks. Retail on this model is around $3500.
Thom Emery
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 07 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in Ga the shipping wont bite ya either just go get it.
It costs $900 to get an Elite 8 to the West Coast
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 07 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a DPP 70? The base unit retails for under $3K and there is a distributor in Marietta, GA. I don't know if you can feed 300 from it though... I suppose it depends on what you're cooking.
papabuck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27 08 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.cookersandgrills.com They are near Athens, Ga. Have really enjoyed the cooker as well as the great service after the sale.
Virginia Q
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 08 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigdaddy, cooking for 300 can mean a lot of different things. 300 sandwhichs with 4 oz of cooked meat on each is different than 300 entree servings of 6 to 8 oz. We use a lang 84 and can easily cook the 300 sandwhiches but get a little tight when it comes to entree portions at that number. Especially since we almost never cook pork without smoked beans.
To get around this we removed the char-grill on our cooker and mount two modified SnPs (see avatar) to the front. As we found the 84 on craigslist our investment, even with the additions, is less than $3000. Of course when cooking for that many and if not at an health department recognized festival, you will need a certified kitchen (mobile or other) and that is a whole different story.
Killer cabinet smoker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering Stickys All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: