FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gordon Walks at the Royal...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 9:39 am    Post subject: Gordon Walks at the Royal... Reply with quote

Gordon takes 11th in Brisket at the Royal Invitational...

Congratulations...
Weber 22" Kettle
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Gordon! To place at the AR in anything is no doubt an honor.
Lewis & Herschel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge congrats on quite an accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Gordon, And btw nice pic in the Bull also!
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Gordon!!!
1 Home Built XL GF Stump clone w/Roc's Stoker
3 Cookshack FEC100's
1 Good One P30 (on loan)
1 Vermont Casting gas grill
Big Mike
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to cook that brisket Gordon. Great job!!!!!

Eagle River BBQ
CBJ
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Smokin Tex ST1400
Chargriller Charcoal Grill
Members Mark 8-burner Gasser
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Gordon...
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 07 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Gordon!!!!!
camdentom
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 07 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaaaaaaaaaa Gordo, way to go.
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 07 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Gordon!

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 07 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. That had to be a fun walk.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 07 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone, it was something to experience. While I tanked on Ribs and Pork, I sure wasnt happy with that. I have to admit both were not up to my standards. I had major problems with the boston butts I purchased and will be talking to my rep on that. I tossed the remaining butts and bought 2 butts from price choppers on site. They were also beyond sub-par(1 was 5 lbs and the other was maybe 4. But I did the best I could with what I had. Chicken was 27th and was a great product. But was tanked by one judge. (but thats the chance you take. Which brings me to a recurring rant many teams have about KCBS judges, rules and promotors of BBQ contests.

After looking at team scores it was quite clear that the judging was not up to snuff. Especially today in the open. My god I have never seen such a wide gap in scores from a table. I understand there was major problems in the judging tent. One judge told me that some tables didnt get any chicken while other tables got 7 boxes to judge. I guess even worse things went on but I am way to tired from a 48 hour marathon cook to get into it all.
I understand its hard to find competent judges in a 25 teams contest let alone 485 teams. But that shouldnt be the competitors problem. In my opinion and many others there and at other contests, KCBS is dropping the ball on this issue with more people voicing thier opinions regarding this issue.
Pulling people off the street 5 minutes before judging because you dont have enuff judges is unfair to the teams. it isnt cheap to do contests especailly with something like the AR where teams travel great distances to participate.

Today a KCBS rep was a rude prick to not only me but other teams when questioned about Sauce results. It wasnt announce at the awards ceramony. Many teams like me donated and paid an extra fee to have our BBQ sauces & rubs judged in a peoples choice & a normal judging with proceeds going to charities. To be treated in such a disrespectfull manner is not acceptable and nothing has been mentioned by AR at anytime regarding results.

I almost decked him after he gave open results paperwork to a lady and stated "you all can fight over it". As I waited my turn to view it, when it got to me, the prick grabbed it out of my hands and walked away.

I have had nothing but great things to say about previous KCBS reps so I cant lump all of them in one. As contest money and expenses increase, I believe KCBS needs to get better control over there sanctioned events. At a resent contest I judge at there wasnt enuff judges or table captains. Someone was asked to captain a table. I dont think this person even judged a contest. He grabbed turnin boxes with carelessness so much so he could have easily messed up a teams presentation and we as judges would never have known. As I have sat on both sides as judge and cooker , I really wish KCBS would tackle this growing problem!

AR also shares a lot of blame for what went on today. I certainly wasnt under the illusion that the Open would be any different than other contests, but teams should not have to deal with this. But everyone says its a must do and a prestiges event to participate. Maybe I believed the hype and expected much better.

I was amazed today as the grand champion was announced and then while they were heading for the stage people were bailing. Most heading towards contest reps to find out what the heck was going on regarding results. A simple announcement regarding it to the people would have gone a long way to getting and giving respect to both teams, promotors & sanctioning bodies.

I know I really went off topic in this thread, but after seeing a consistant negative theme regarding BBQ contests, something should be done.

Ok I'm done, 1 hour sleep in 48 houes of a marathon cook has me babbling. I know I am not the only one with these issues as it has bben brought up before.

Again thanks for the kind words everyone. Next is the Jack Daniels and I hope treatment of teams is a step up. But I wont hold my breath...LOL

a shower and sleep await me...
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 07 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

Great Idea for another thread! I think that there is a growing concern and a large discrepency in scoring at each table. I don't want to rant either But at our last comp I got straight 9's from 3 judges and straight 6's from one. The others were in the ball park with 7's and 8's with a sprinkling of 9's. The 6's brought me down to only get 2nd in pork. But that is the risk you take I guess.

Again congrat's and get some well deserved sleep. You more than earned it!
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 07 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutha chicken bbq wrote:
Wow,

Great Idea for another thread! I think that there is a growing concern and a large discrepency in scoring at each table. I don't want to rant either But at our last comp I got straight 9's from 3 judges and straight 6's from one. The others were in the ball park with 7's and 8's with a sprinkling of 9's. The 6's brought me down to only get 2nd in pork. But that is the risk you take I guess.

Again congrat's and get some well deserved sleep. You more than earned it!

Yup, maybe I'll post another thread to continue discussion. Another team there that I'm familiar with-QN4U- had the same thing as I'm pretty sure most have if they compete and it just didnt make sense. I would have had another call on chicken in the top 10 or 15 if there wasnt such a wide gap. I had 1 perfect score and 2 near perfect from others<899> 8's then bam...766. but I even saw worse with as much as 10 points differences!
As much as KCBS push's the fact that when you judge, you are to judge that piece unto its own and not against what your preference's are, we all know that just doest happen as much as it really should and we all know that.

I also think there is a relatively easy and quick way to solve it without causing undo extra time and grief during the process. Since 6 is the starting score, simply have the table captain do a quick 10 second scan of the score cards and if something looks a bit wacky/out of place, then request the judge to in a sentence or 2 explain/justify in a comment section on his score card why he/she came to that conclusion. It may or may not give that judge food for thought and help them refine their own processes thus shortening the learning curve.

In fact, KCBS can add this to the data base and put into place a review of said judges and see if this is consistant or random and then spreadsheet it and determine if corrective action needs to be taken.

Yes, from time to time you will have just plain wierd scores but when its a large scale contest such as the AR Open, every effort more so should be made to insure judges and table captains understand how critical it is to be consistant.

Hell, I tanked my Ribs and Pork in the invitational and for the most part I know the factors that led to that and I took the best corrective action I could and was back on track for the Open. I think we as cookers know, for the most part, when we turn something in if it was within our game plan or not. and are not too surprise when the scores reflect it.

Personally, I dont think judges should be pulled of the street and 5 minutes later they are sitting next to a CBJ judging a teams long and hard hours of work!

If they are short people just add more boxes to each table...

just some more randon thoughts.
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08 07 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At mt last comp,( Linda Muldane? Sits on the KCBS board)
She is running an experiment. If any score is less than a 5 the judge is required to fill out a card that goes to the contestant. Now that being said. We got DQed on our chicken as a misterious toothpick ended up in our box. So the only feedback I recieved was " toothpick in box"

I would like to see the results if we had gotten a low score,without the toothpick. The only thing I could see wrong with this process is now the judge might be inclined to give you his version of what is good BBQ. Or he might be inclined to compare your entry as oppsed to rate it. I don't know but it is a good start, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: