FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe I just don't like ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13 12 11:42 pm    Post subject: Maybe I just don't like ribs Reply with quote

I have probably cooked 25 or so racks of ribs and I have yet to smoke one that I thought was really good. They always seem to come out dry and with little or no taste. I have foiled, not foiled, spritzed, no spritz, mopped, no mop, prayed over and even cussed at them. No difference.

St Louis Style are heavy rub, 3 hours on grill set at 225, then foiled with honey, br sugar and butter, back on the grill for 2 hours, then unfoiled and 1 hour back on. Basically your 3-2-1 method.

Baby backs are the same but a 2-1-1 cook time. When I lift the ribs they do bend "properly" as well as the meat is just pulling back from the bone by 1/2" or so. They look "right', just don't taste the best and are usually dry. They usually have the consistency and dryness of a pork chop.

The only thing I can think of is that I am overcooking them, or maybe I just don't like ribs? Rolling Eyes
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 12 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing St Louis, but instead of using the times for Spares 3:2:1 use the time for Baby backs, it works better for St Louis than Spares times.

Do you like them that sweet?

Do you prefer spicy?

Try cooking them without foil, you may find it takes an extra 30 - 45 minutes, but give it a try.

I still work here!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 12 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millstream, like Mr Bear said. Try 2-2-1.
Are you using indirect and wood chips/chunks on your grill when you cook them?
What kind of rub are you using?
Grill temp 225, where your ribs are placed? WM sells an oven therm for $2-$3
Sauce or Glaze? Try Roxy's Rib Glaze, it will make shoe leather taste good. Laughing Sorry, didn't mean to imply. Embarassed

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 12 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am using a Mak pellet grill. Temp at the grates is always +\- 10 degrees of set point. For the rub it's usually Big Ron's HOH, my favorite, but I have also used BB Butt Rub and some Plowboys rubs. I've glazed with apple juice, honey and some rub mixed in, as well as sauced with Big Ron's BBQ sauce or Tony Romas sauce. IDK what else to try. I'll start w the 2-2-1 and go from there.

I brought 18 pounds of butts home from the hotel for this weekends smoke. I am pretty good with bitts and I need to repair my ego' Laughing
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 12 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or maybe I just don't like ribs?

Try this Wink http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Ribs/

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14 12 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time and money to do a little experiment try two racks the next time you do ribs.

Start one rack at the one hour mark add the second rack, at the two hour mark, wrap the first, at the three hour mark, wrap the second, at the four hour mark unwrap them both, at the five hour mark take them off and see which one you like best.

If you like the 2:2:1 better eat all of them, and then either cook the other rack an extra hour, or reheat it for an hour a couple of days later... if however you like the 2:1:1 better, you have a rack to give to the neighbors that don't know any better! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 12 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official. I don't like ribs. Cooked another 4 racks over the weekend, (used a recipe in Myron Mixons book. Did a brisket according to his recipe and it was the best I ever had) Did everything according to his instructions on the ribs and they were okay at best.

A bit dry and greasy at the same time? Doesn't sound possible, but they were. Meat was dry and pockets of fat not rendered out.

Maybe I need to try DrunkPlumber idea:

Try this Wink http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Ribs/

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: