FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save my Butt!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wild West BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 08 9:28 am    Post subject: butts Reply with quote

my butts come 8 to a box usually 86 pounds.. each butt is around 11 to 12 pounds i do not chop or use forks every bit of fat and bone are removed by hand at a low consistant heat it can take 3 days to get a great butt roast stop rushing and KISS
the.silverbullet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow i am going to smoke my first hog shoulder. I have a couple of questions. Since the hog is leaner then pork should i leave all the fat on the shoulder or should i trim some off? Do i need to bast it to keep it moist? I understand how everyone is smoking there pork, just a little worried about the hogs meat drying out. I am going to smoke the hog in my UDS. Not sure what wood i want to use yet. Does anyone use mesquite? I have never used mesquite for pork before but yesterday i found a spot to get free mesquite.

Last edited by the.silverbullet on Fri Dec 24 10 3:57 am; edited 2 times in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesquite can be really harsh if you are not getting a clean fire, it can overpower Pork quite easily, personally I like fruit woods with some Oak or Hickory!

I wouldn't trim, and I like to start butts Fat Side Down on my UDS's then after a couple of hours flip it Fat Side UP!

I still work here!
the.silverbullet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thats what i wanted to know. I will use Hickory and some apple. Smoke the hog between 200-250 degrees. Pull it off at 200 and wrap in foil and let stand for a hour in a cooler. Then pull. Does that sound about right?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds right! Wink

I still work here!
ram1z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 12 11:20 pm    Post subject: Butt and more Reply with quote

Ok- all this talk has me jonesing to smoke a butt- This weekend..... new smoker, new year, gonna give it a try. I've had my friends slow smoked on the BBQ but I want to do my own! Wish me luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: