FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking Services

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 05 1:25 am    Post subject: Smoking Services Reply with quote

I smoke meats for friends and family. They provide the meat and charcoal; I smoke it for them. I've been thinking of doing it as an introductory to a catering business for others outside of the friends and family ring. In this case, I would provide the charcoal and wood, but the customers would bring their meat.
Does anyone have experience with this, and what would you charge just for smoking other people's meats?
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 05 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go one step further to control the product. Find a good butcher and have folks order a "10 lbs smoked brisket". This way you pick the meat and don't leave that up to chance. They may bring in a lean piece of meat that won't smoke good.

I have no idea what to charge, but if you are just getting started, you probably just need to break even.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other problem with customer supplied meat (or you supplying it) is liability. Friends and family are one thing, the public quite another. Then there are health department rules. $500,000 in liability insurance runs me about $700.00 a year. When people bring me meats such as wild hogs or turkeys for the holidays, I charge a $1.00 a pound with a 100lb. minimum. Breaking even is fine, but the time involved plus fuel is to much effort not to make money. Then you get to worry about a customer that leaves meat out to spoil and then blames you for getting sick! It just isnt worth it unless you are making money. Always happy to talk with you- I have unlimited long distace. Give me a private mail with your number and a god time to call. Hope this helps Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: