FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket slather and rub

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 05 4:16 am    Post subject: Brisket slather and rub Reply with quote

This is the slather and rub I used on my brisket that I cooked up last night. I really liked it.

Slather
1/4 Cup Beer
1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
2 tbsp Hot Sauce
1 tsp Wor-chester-shister-chister-shester-fester-sister-shire

Rub
1/2 cup Kosher Salt
1/4 cup Black Pepper
1 tsp Chipotle Powder
1 tsp Ancho Powder
1 tsp Kashmir Pepper powder (cayenne is a good substitute)
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Ground Coffee
1 tsp Turbinado Sugar
1/8 tsp Oregano
1/8 tsp Ground Cumin

Last edited by bigabyte on Tue Aug 23 05 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total
JerryA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 05 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it compare to any other brisket you've cooked?
And were'd you find the ancho and chipotle powder? I was looking for stuff like that to experiment with and couldn't find any.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 05 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a LOT better than my past brisket rubs, and I really liked my previous brisket rub so that is not a small improvement by any means.

I used to use a lot of paprika and chili powder in my brisket rubs. I left both of those out of this rub, along with a few others I may have been tempted to use. If you search in these forums, I have a thread on burning sugar. In those experiments, paprika wound up tasing nasty after being cooked, and the chili powder didn't have much potency left.

Since chili powder is generally made with either Ancho or New Mexico Chile powder as the base with added salt, cumin, oregano and maybe a few other spices in it, I decided I would simply replace it's use in the rub with Ancho Powder, Cumin and Oregano. All of these ingredients fared very well in my tests. I selected Ancho because it is a bit hotter than New Mexican Chile. Something I noticed when testing all of the Chile Powders was that they maintained their flavor, but lost several degrees of their heat. I wanted a good chile flavor, but still wanted a touch of heat, so I picked Ancho. I added the Chipotle powder to compensate for the heat loss, and to add the smoky chipotle flavor.

I think these changes are a big reason I liked the end result so much better. The bark on this brisket did not have any burnt taste, and was loaded with flavor.

I bought the Chipotle and Ancho powders at the grocery store about 3-4 weeks ago when doing those experiments. They came in a small glass bottle, I think they are Spice Islands brand if I remember correctly. I only know one grocery store near me that has a good variety of spices, the other stores would never carry either of these powders. You can order these spices are online spice stores if you can't find them locally.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 05 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my rub recipe above to indicate that I used Kosher Salt, not regular table salt.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 05 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also edited it to note that cayenne pepper is a good substitute for the Kashmir Chile Powder.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 05 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are timid to try the mustard slather, I offer this suggestion. Next brisket you cook trim off about 6 inches of the flat and do a mustard slather on the trimmed flat. I am not a mustard fan but it really does taste good and nothing like mustard!
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 18 06 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did this on a chuck roast today and i didn't like it as much as i do on brisket. would the different cooking times on this make a considerable difference?
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 18 06 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a difference with chuck roasts too. A rub that I used on a brisket that tasted good wound up tasting way too peppery when I used it on a chuck roast. I suspect it's time, perhaps even the difference in the amount of fat. I'm not sure though, but I have noticed it.
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 18 06 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after sitting in the fridge over night i heated some up and made a sammy out of it with q sauce. AWESOME!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: