FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudy's is the bomb!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldilocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 05 7:02 am    Post subject: Rudy's is the bomb! Reply with quote

I visited a Rudy's BBQ joint in Albuquerque.

It was hands-down the best brisket I ever had. You order it by the pound (or fraction thereof) and they weigh it in front of you.

They told me they use Texas Oak and smoke it for 12 hours.

It was served on butcher paper and was sliced and had wonderful bark and smoke ring on every MOIST slice.

I can't imagaine a better brisket anywhere.

There is a website www.rudys.com listing other locations in Texas and NM.

They served about a dozen meat entries, but I didn't taste anything else.

I'm not a Q expert, but I've been to many BBQ chains including Dickey's, Sonny Bryans, and many others, and I've never seen or tasted brisket like this before. I think I was experiencing amateur brisket before I found Rudy's (pro brisket). The two guys I was with, and myself, were stunned the entire day after eating there. We all agreed this place was brisket heaven!
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 05 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudy's is a good week night joint if not a little expensive. I wish they served on a plate. Eating off of butcher paper is old. Just ain't justified this day and age. It's just a tradition born out of need and now there is no need. Give me a plate please. Very Happy One of the Texas traditions I can do without.
Goldilocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 05 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
Rudy's is a good week night joint if not a little expensive. I wish they served on a plate. Eating off of butcher paper is old. Just ain't justified this day and age. It's just a tradition born out of need and now there is no need. Give me a plate please. Very Happy One of the Texas traditions I can do without.

We didn't mind the spartan decor. The place has the feel of an indoor picnic.

So yes, if your looking for decor and ambience, go somehwre else. But iif you are just looking for excellent brisket, Rudy's seems to be hard to beat.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21 05 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decore is fine and we eat there often. I just want a plate to eat off of. Laughing All the Texas BBQ joints try to emulate that old time tradition where a meat market BBQs the left over meat at the end of the day and all they have to serve it on is butcher paper. Those days are gone so they should get plates. Thats all I'm after. They are resturants after all. Have you tried the Turkey? Great stuff

Zilla
Goldilocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 05 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
The decore is fine and we eat there often. I just want a plate to eat off of. Laughing All the Texas BBQ joints try to emulate that old time tradition where a meat market BBQs the left over meat at the end of the day and all they have to serve it on is butcher paper. Those days are gone so they should get plates. Thats all I'm after. They are resturants after all. Have you tried the Turkey? Great stuff

Zilla

I haven't tried the turkey. I've only been there one time.

I called and asked if I could open a Rudy's in FL but they declined. Sad

You'd think they'd at least have paper plates, but oh well.

BTW, do you know anything about their smoking techniques or equipment? Do you think a Cookshack smoker would produce that kind (or similar) of brisket? Don't know if you even know about Cookshack smokers, of course. But thought I'd ask anyway.
MattStrube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla, what places in Austin would you recommend that are better than Rudy's? I just moved here.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldilocks - Sorry for not responding to your last post I just noticed it today. Rudys has an out door fire with the smoke drafting into a long steel cooking chamber. Yes I do beleive anyone can make brisket that good in any smoker. Just takes practice and more practice. The founder himself uses a small Lyfe Tyme pipe pit made in Uvalde Texas. Just had an article about him in the local paper over the summer. He lives in NW San Antonio.

MattStrube - Stubbs and the Salt lick are the two Austin hot spots. But you are also close to Lockhart “BBQ Meca” http://www.lockhart-tx.org/BBQ.htm

And Llano , Coopers http://www.coopersbbq.com/about.asp

Keep your eyes open for the yearly Texas Monthly BBQ Issue It lists them all

Enjoy

GIANT BBQ
MattStrube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21 05 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good guys, thanks for the help
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22 05 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattStrube wrote:
Zilla, what places in Austin would you recommend that are better than Rudy's? I just moved here.

The County Line is also great but is really hard to find. The place is a little upscale and you might want to call ahead. Their BBQ is great, but the real draw is their home baked bread. The bread is so good, most people place an order to go at their table.
http://www.countyline.com/comeseeus.asp
larryb1234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26 05 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say a word or two about Albuquerque NM. I just moved from there.

The Rudy's just north of downtown is good. The one on the west side of town is not good. Don't know why there is a difference but there is a large one.

However, Rob's Ribs hands down has the best ribs in Albuquerque period.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
Keep your eyes open for the yearly Texas Monthly BBQ Issue It lists them all Enjoy

About when does this issue come out?
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get back to you after Q- Fest

GIANT BBQ
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Fest?? When and where is this?
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04 05 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - O, Q-Fest is a gathering of people that are members of the Texas BBQ Rub Forum. It's a private party but any member of the forum can go. The deadline for payment was Oct. 15th I leave in the morning. Check out the site, there is a sticky on the events section that explains the whole thing. Come on out next year and in the mean time spend some time over there and get to know the guys. Great bunch.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/phpBB2/index.php

GIANT BBQ
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05 05 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
MattStrube wrote:

The County Line is also great but is really hard to find. The place is a little upscale and you might want to call ahead. Their BBQ is great, but the real draw is their home baked bread. The bread is so good, most people place an order to go at their table.
http://www.countyline.com/comeseeus.asp

Yes, Alien, the bread is great. But one of the other reasons The County Line is a hit is because it serves beef ribs. Any Texan knows that beef is the bomb. Salt Lick and Stubbs is awesome, too. Let's not forget to go next door to Elgin to get the best sausage around, from Southside Market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: