FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Injectors!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 11:23 am    Post subject: Injectors!! Reply with quote

I ordered some Injectors from Bayou Classic. I want to try them on some brisket, any suggestions. Any suggestions??
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiskey and olive oil.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a large bottle of hot sauce, 1/2 onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup OJ, 1 tsp ground Cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano into a blender and blast into a runny pulpy mess. Strain through a cheesecloth and add 1 to 2 cups olive oil until it looks to your liking.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe I'll blend them both. Thanks!!
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought on injectors, try to find a farm supply store that sells cow and other animal supplies and they probably have injectors for medicine. most of the time they are bigger and cheaper
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 05 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice doogie, my father in-law went to a vet and got a nice one cheap. Meanwhile I went through two plastic ones and then another onr where the openings were to spread out.
Heavy Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05 05 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Wiskey and olive oil.

What "parts ratio" do you recommend?

Do you inject the night before? just prior to placing in the smoker, or during the smoking?

Anyone ever use apple juice???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 05 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy Hauler,
50/50 on the whiskey and olive oil “my personal taste.” I use a dry rub on the outside many times and want the inside to have a subtle taste that is different from the outside. The alcohol in the whiskey acts as a transport mechanism for the olive oil. This breaks down the lipids (fat) and allows for a better rendering and dispersal of taste. If you inject it over night or just before really doesn’t make a lot of difference. You will be cooking a good size butt for about 20 hours and briskets for about 12 - 17 hours. The internal temp will not peak quickly, so you will have plenty of “marinade” time while on the smoker. This is different from steak or lesser cuts of meat that are done within 10 to 120 minutes. I normally make enough injector base to use half inside and then the other half I use as a mist during the cooking process. Finally, I am reluctant (but I will do it) to use a heavy colored fluid for my injected meat that will be served to “other than family”. Many times presentation is a large part of how well a food product is received. I have used dark colored injections in the past that turn light colored meats a undesirable gray color that just doesn’t look good.
Heavy Hauler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 05 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your a day late and a dollar short!!!!! LOL!!!!
I couldnt wait any longer and struck out on my own, hopeing I didnt mess up.
I use a "commercial" / homemade dry rub. ( shhh... I cheat, I mix certain store bought rubs and create my own rub)
I gussed on the ratio of oil and whiskey and injected the brisket when placed on the smoker. end result was, the meat was tender and moist, almost fell apart on its own after cooking, and now, the nieghbors want me to do more for them or to consider catering.
Thanks for the tip, it was a great one!!!!

catering, Hmmmmm yeah, ok, Ill send out the ice skating party invataions....lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31 05 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy..
Mixing of rubs ain`t no different than what most resterants do. It`s prefectly legal (i believe) to mix two store bought sauces together and call it a "house specility" or a "specility" sauce. I hear tell that if you change just one ingerdient in a known sauce or rub than you can call it your own. Correct me if i`m wrong guys, but i`ve heard this before.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31 05 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the term is to "tweak".
LIAR #100
MacMitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21 06 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a variation of the injection formula in Smoke & Spice. That would be Apple Vinegar, Beer, olive oil, soak some garlic & onion etc. in there & strain it out later. I inject & rub a turkey or chicken the night before cooking it then freshen it up just before it goes on the fire. What ever is left over gets mixed in with some rub & becomes a basting/beer can material.

I went to the local horse veterinary supply & got the largest needle & the largest syringe they had. You can't squirt the kids from 15 to 20 feet with that rig too Smile

P.S.
Well my Horse needle kept clogging up. I ordered a big stainless steel job from the gadget place. Just used it, works good. Scares the pee out of the kids too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: