FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef Brisket and Dr. Pepper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10 09 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N8NEU wrote:
Flatlander wrote:
Well it did come out good. Everyone loved it. I put it on a 7:30 AM and it took about 8 hours to get to 165. I foiled it to 195 about 3 hours later I took it off and put it in the cooler for 1 1/2 Hrs. I injected the cooked marinade every hour. For my first Brisket I am real happy. We did get have the Fire Dept. show up. Someone driving by thought the house was on fire.

When you foiled the brisket at 165 degrees, did you put it back into the smoker of just let it sit out of the heat for 3 hours. I don't quite understand this part. How does the temperature increase without heat? I am smoking a brisket this weekend. I will be using a digital thermometer for monitoring.

Hi everyone... first time poster... so whats the answer here? I'm confused and my brisket, using this recipe is at 170 right now !!!
So which is it.....
Wrap in foil at 165 then take it off the heat ?
or foil it and leave it on the heat until 195 then let it rest for a couple hours. Thanks...
reubenray
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13 09 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12TH AV SMOKERS wrote:
N8NEU wrote:
Flatlander wrote:
Well it did come out good. Everyone loved it. I put it on a 7:30 AM and it took about 8 hours to get to 165. I foiled it to 195 about 3 hours later I took it off and put it in the cooler for 1 1/2 Hrs. I injected the cooked marinade every hour. For my first Brisket I am real happy. We did get have the Fire Dept. show up. Someone driving by thought the house was on fire.

When you foiled the brisket at 165 degrees, did you put it back into the smoker of just let it sit out of the heat for 3 hours. I don't quite understand this part. How does the temperature increase without heat? I am smoking a brisket this weekend. I will be using a digital thermometer for monitoring.

Hi everyone... first time poster... so whats the answer here? I'm confused and my brisket, using this recipe is at 170 right now !!!
So which is it.....
Wrap in foil at 165 then take it off the heat ?
or foil it and leave it on the heat until 195 then let it rest for a couple hours. Thanks...

I would like to know this answer also. I plan to do my first brisket Labor Day weekend and am researching everything now.
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13 09 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's what I ended up doing...... when the brisket reached 165 I double foiled it, left it on the smoker until it reached 195. Actually it got to 199 -200. I didn't mean for that to happen and I was worried about it but it ended up fine. I removed it from the smoker, left it in the foil and wrapped it up in 2 paper bags and put in a cooler for about 2.5 hours. Temp increased to 202 and then started dropping very slowly.

This turned out great! It was tender and very juicy. I will add more "kick" to it next time because I only put black pepper, granulated garlic & onion, salt on it rather than the Montreal Seasoning.

It was so good I'll probably make another one very soon.
reubenray
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13 09 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the purpose of wrapping it and putting it in an ice chest?
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14 09 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letting it sit wrapped up gets the juices that came out in the foil to be absorbed by the meat and keeps it warm too.
I'm not sure if everyone does it this way. I would like the outside a bit "crustier". Maybe someone else can help out on how to acheive a crustier crust Rolling Eyes
jovian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just starting with BBQing but will be trying this recipe this weekend. But from what I understand (ie what I have read) in order to get a crisper crust after letting the meat rest place it back in the smoker for another 10-15 minutes
sithlordsmoke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 7:18 am    Post subject: how long is too long? Reply with quote

I have a brisket marinating right now, was suppose to cook it tomorrow for some friends. i just found out the party has been postponed until next friday. will leaving the brisket in the dr. pepper marinade for a week be too long? Should I pull it out of the marinade at the two day point and refrigerate it until I'm ready to cook it?
I have a lot riding on this brisket and I want it to be perfect. (These friends may be a potential source of some serious business for me)

Thanks,
Swaps
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10 10 11:17 pm    Post subject: If it were me Reply with quote

I would take the brisket out and put it back in the marinade the night b4 the cook!
KSims1868
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 07 10 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try this method on Saturday morning.
I'll start soaking the brisket this afternoon when I get home and pull it out Saturday morning to put on the UDS...wish me luck.
texaggie2007

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not a fan of Dr. Pepper, sacrilegious for a Texan I know, would Coke be as good?
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 8:21 am    Post subject: Sure ok Reply with quote

I would think Coke would work. You really don't taste the Dr.Pepper but it does add sweetness. Let us know!
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be giving this a try on my next brisket.

Here is my general rule of smoking brisket
Rub/Marinade the day before.
Take meet directly from fridge to smoker.
Smoke around 250*
At 167 I wrap in foil AND IT GOES BACK IN THE SMOKER
At 197 I take it out of the smoker.....leave the brisket wrapped in foil...wrap in your general run of the mill bathroom towel and place in an insulated cooler for 1-3 hours.

The reason for the cooler...it allows the meat to rest and re-absorb its juices. Trust me...when you unwrap the brisket...it will still be piping hot.
dudelsacksalzburg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07 11 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Dr Pepper is a kind of coke ?
And whats polemgranet juice ?
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 5:09 am    Post subject: Sorry for the delay Reply with quote

Dr.Pepper is a soda pop. And the juice was misspelled it is Pomegranate. A fruit juice.
dudelsacksalzburg

PostPosted: Tue May 03 11 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
I tried it with coke I can`t find Dr Pepper in Austria but it tasted great!!
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 11 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm trying this today right now, brisket just went on the smoker. Will let you know how it goes, and how it compared to the brisket i did last week (nothing but rub on it).
ksm2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30 11 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one of these a few weeks back for some folks from work, it turned out ok, minus some glitches with the smoker at the begining of the cook and that my wife decided to cut it up before it had time to rest...Anyway, just got comissioned to cook 4 of them for a charity lunch on Sunday, I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Blkandrust

PostPosted: Thu May 17 12 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinading mine right now for fri. Very excited.
Weber Kettle 22.5"
ksm2002

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25 12 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used variations of this recipe for about a dozen packers now with amazing results. I'm even thinking about cooking one for my MasterChef audition in a couple of weeks.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11 13 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna try this one on the UDS this weekend.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: