FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef Brisket and Dr. Pepper
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20 07 4:49 am    Post subject: Beef Brisket and Dr. Pepper Reply with quote

Ok, I marinated a 6-7 pound brisket in 2 cans of Dr.Pepper, teriyaki, worchestershire sauce. I marinaded it for 2 days. Took it out poured the marinade in a sauce pan and added pomegranate juice and simmered for about 45 minutes. I should have used it to inject but I didn't used it for spritz. Anyway, I put Montreal Steak blend and cooked the brisket at 235-250. Spritzed it every hour, cooked for 6 hours to 165 degrees, foiled it and took off at 195. Used a bunch of hickory wood chunks. About 8 hours total. Double wrapped with foil, put it in cold oven and let it stay for 3 hours. It is the most awesome meat I have ever tatsted. The meat came from a butcher that has been competing for years and he really knew how to cut it right. Wished I had done a pictorial like Roxy. But I am not as good as he is. What do you think of the recipe?
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20 07 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay,

Thanks for posting the recipie! I'm a transplanted Texan, foods like brisket and drinks like Dr. Pepper are a taste of home to me. I have a small brisket I stuck in the freezer to have for my next cookout.

I'll definitely give your recipie a try, but probably with someting salt-free I'll whip up myself instead of Montreal steak blend (just due to my issues with salt). And, I'll use a mix of mesquite & pecan instead of hickory (just because that's what I have plenty of).

I don't inject brisket, so boiling the marinade and using it for spritz & soak sounds great. I'll look around for pomegranate juice locally - Whole Foods probably has it.
KRUZMSL
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 07 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! How much teriyaki and worchestershire sauce did you use? I have an injector, is it better to inject or not to inject? I've done spares, just a little scared of brisket.

Brinkmann ECB

Disclaimer: I may accidently stART TYPING In all CAPS AT ANy moment!!

Last edited by KRUZMSL on Wed Aug 22 07 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 07 10:58 pm    Post subject: teriyaki Reply with quote

1/2 cup of both teriyaki and worchestire
SMOKIN BLUES PIT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06 07 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will have to try it too,how much pomegranate juice. Cool
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 07 2:03 am    Post subject: Here you go Reply with quote

About 1 cup.
SMOKIN BLUES PIT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 07 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS
Flatlander
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 07 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished putting your Dr. Pepper marinade on a 10lb brisket I am doing on Saturday. I will post up my results. Wish me luck, this is my first Brisket!
jvreeland
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 07 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlander wrote:
I just finished putting your Dr. Pepper marinade on a 10lb brisket I am doing on Saturday. I will post up my results. Wish me luck, this is my first Brisket!

Good Luck!

Looking forward to seeing the pics.
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 07 7:56 pm    Post subject: Let me know what you think!! Reply with quote

Good Luck I hope it works, I know it's tasty!!
Flatlander
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15 07 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Let me know what you think!! Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:
Good Luck I hope it works, I know it's tasty!!

Thanks, It's on the smoker! I'll let you know what happens....
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 07 12:15 am    Post subject: Well ???? Reply with quote

How did you like it did it work ok? How was the taste and tenderness?
Flatlander
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 07 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it did come out good. Everyone loved it. I put it on a 7:30 AM and it took about 8 hours to get to 165. I foiled it to 195 about 3 hours later I took it off and put it in the cooler for 1 1/2 Hrs. I injected the cooked marinade every hour. For my first Brisket I am real happy. We did get have the Fire Dept. show up. Someone driving by thought the house was on fire.

The begining

Ready to foil

The result

Thanks for the help and the recipe!
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 07 8:48 am    Post subject: Way Cool Reply with quote

I have never injected when it is on. Did it cool the brisket? Glad it came out well!!
Flatlander
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 07 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it did cool it about 5 degrees but recovered real fast. When I pulled out the thermometer at the end it squirted juice. Don't know if it was the right thing to do but the flavor was great!
lowrider90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 07 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe, As it turns out briskets are my weak point. I'm going to try this this weekend and am looking forward to trying your recipe.

I'll post up on how i do either way, good or bad.

j
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lowrider90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25 07 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my brisket, you can see in the pics where the marinade was injected into the meat. over all, i still didnt get it 100% i'm 80% there. IMO it cam out a bit dry. I cooked 225 till 167 degrees. wrapped in foil cooked at 250 till 190 let it rest in a cooler till morning.

I think i made a mistake letting it cook at 250 after it hit 165 and wrapping it. it took 7 hours to 167, but only 1.5 adfditonal hours once in the foil at 250. may it was abit too fast. any thoughts on that.

It make great sandwiches though. I let cool in the fridge, then pull my meat slicer out a and slice the rest like deli meat. This is how my son like it. warm it up add it to a roll then sauce and melted cheese (like a philly cheese steak) pretyt darn good. hes out now but I was required to do a brisket anytime he come home college. Now I will be sending it overnight to california where he lives now.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lowrider91/2007_10_21ThisWeeknd/photo#5124162799012922162
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25 07 10:14 pm    Post subject: Why it was dry! Reply with quote

Did you leave it wrapped in foil and covered with a towel or something? I usually leave it wrapped and put it in the oven (without the heat on) for about 2 hours. Comes out great.
lowrider90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25 07 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Why it was dry! Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:
Did you leave it wrapped in foil and covered with a towel or something? I usually leave it wrapped and put it in the oven (without the heat on) for about 2 hours. Comes out great.

Yes, i put the brisket and two Butts in a cooler all wrapped in foil, then threw a towel over them till i was ready to deal with them. the butts were perfect, the brisket ok.
EGJDM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26 07 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClayBBQ what did you rub your brisket with after marinating the brisket in the Dr. pepper?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: