FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to live the dream......
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQnIL
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 3:22 am    Post subject: Trying to live the dream...... Reply with quote

Well here goes.

I have been reading here for months and finally joined. I have only posted a couple of comments in the past. But I have taken the leap.

Let me begin this thread with saying I have gathered so much information from you guys and it gave me the confidence to go forward with this endeavour.

I have been cooking for years. I was raised in TN and joined the Navy and have seen the world. After retireing from the Navy I have always wanted to have a que joint. As a kid and when home on leave from the Navy, I would sat around pits all hours of the day and night learning how to cook que from some old men that did it for the love of the fire, the wood, and the pork. Not to mention the flavor of wild turkey!! A small restaurant here in town closed after being repossesed. I kept driving by it and I finallly got up the nerve and called the realtor about a month ago. He showed me the building with everything still in side. Stove, griddle, two deep fat fryers, salad prep station etc. All of the silverware, plates, cups etc. I made an offer and the bank that had it agreed. I purchased the building and closed on it last monday. My offer was 10k less than the asking price. They wanted out from under it for sure.

The kitchen was filthy... GREASE every where. Yesterday I scrubbed for 5 hours and barely scratched the surface. I have a long way to go. I noted that the front window appeared to be bowed. I took off the trim and noted the entire frame was wet. This morning I went back in and it had dried over night and I just tapped on the glass with my palm and the glass slid back into place. I will replace the trim and reglaze the entire window tomorrow. This window is about 8 X 12. 3/8 plate glass. I would have surely hated breaking it. Money is tight and I bought a Smokin Tex smoker. I have had it about 2 weeks now and have turned out some really good que on it. I was surprised.

My son and I are taking the HD food handlers course in 2 weeks and hope we pass and get licensed. My accoutant has my tax number, business registration etc. I have been to the health department and picked up the packet they give out to get started on and will be turning it back in to them next week some time.

I will try to post some pics and keep this thread alive if you all want to know more.

BBQnIL

Todd
http://www.facebook.com/mainstreetbbq
http://www.twitter.com/mainstreetbbq
If you BBQ it.... They will come!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, ...let us know if we can help.
Markbb
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 3:48 am    Post subject: Good Luck Reply with quote

I hope you make it in your endevor, remember consistantly good and no off days
Rub the Butt BBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to ya Todd!!

Stumps GF 223
Custom Built Offset Stick Burner
PigHusker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck brother. I wish you much success.
jerbroni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can do it!!! Can't wait to try your bbq.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice- best of luck to you! Very Happy
SPOKANE SMOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 6:10 am    Post subject: Good luck Reply with quote

Good Luck to you! I admire the decision you made to "Go For It".

Keep us posted!

Kevin
Masterbuilt 40" ELECTRIC SMOKE
Imperial Komado #5
Smoke Pistol
Afterburner H
Chuck
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 7:08 am    Post subject: All the best Reply with quote

Best of luck BBQnIL

Chuck
Ironhead Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 07 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Wyanet? My opinion, a few good things on the menu beats a lot of so so food. Keep it simple. Good luck, I would love to try this myself but I would not make it as a businessman.
graybeard
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is the opening? May just have to plan a trip.
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool good luck~!

Do you deliver to Delaware? Very Happy
bluesman250
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 I love BBQ
#2 I am close to Illinois
#3 I work for beer
#4 I would love to see your new place!
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you! I would love to see some pics as you get your place all ready to open. I'm in the Utica area a couple times a year. Wyanet is under an hour west from there, right? I would love to stop by some time and try some Q!
PigHusker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that you are from Ill., my wife's family is from Rock Island. We visit there a few times a year . How far are you from Rock Isalnd, I'm guessing about an hour. Once again best of luck, and we'll make the drive next time were in Ill.
standupguymoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm from Chicago. I'll come out there with a crew to check out your 'que. Any website yet?

_moon
Roy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Todd, Glad to hear you're takin the plunge! Shocked I started in business 18 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. You'll never make any real money workin for somebody else. You've gotta commit body and soul and you don't need an MBA. It's just common sense. Take a minimum out of the company until you establish yourself. Don't buy anything until you have to...and then buy something good. The customer is king and never stop trying to satisfy them. My motto "if your not going forward...your going backward." Never close early. Best of luck, Roy
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 8:35 pm    Post subject: PARTY!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

The BEST of luck to you.
Smoke 'Em good up there in IL.
Smoke On!!!!!
BBQnIL
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Let the rambling begin.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I am about as nervous as I have ever been. I worked all day up at the store yesterday getting some more cleaning and repair done. This building has been a restaurant for its entire existance. Since about 1893. Yes Wyanet is about an hour from the quad cities (rock island). It is about an hour from Utica as well. I am hoping to open in mid August. There is a ton of work to do. I am not making the place a show place. I have a collection of Griswold cast iron skillets I plan on hangning on the walls. Some antique stuff etc. It is in an old small buildiing And I want to keep that charm. I sure wish I had more money to do much more. But I am sure that will come in time. Everyone has their hand out and because of that I am doing all I can on my own. I am shocked at some of the costs involved:

1) Health Department.... 1000.00 with your application
2) Insurance... 1500.00 per year ie. liability, fire, replacement costs etc
3) Safe food handling classes... 209.00 for myself and my son
4) Beer license... 200.00 for the village, 556.00 in insurance, and 500.00 for the state with my application.
5) HD requires I have a pest control guy on contract. I don't know what that cost will be yet.
6) HD requires a certified plumber inspects all of the plumbing to ensure it and the grease trap are all up to code. I don't know the cost of that yet.
7) The phone rings all day long... Credit card companies seeking to have thier machine hooked up to accept credit and debit cards. Finding the best deal is becoming a pain in the butt. Gonna talk to my banker about this.
Cool Tables are in short supply as is my cash. There are some 1950's type restaurant chairs and chrome legged tables I am gonna have to stick in there from down in the basement.

Your past can bite ya in the butt on the liquor license. The state claims I owe back child support, the ex wife states I don't. The state won't listen to her. And my son has lived with me for the past 2 years. So at this point I am forgoing the liquor license until we can get it all worked out.

I hope you guys don't mind reading some of the personal stuff. I just want you all to know what all I have had to go through and the steps involved.

Making great que is always the dream. Dealing with politics and paperwork is a huge part of this endeavour. So I am switching hats often and keeping my smile on. Out of all of this what worries me the most is the success. Consistency and a quality product are first and foremost on my mind. I worry about being slammed from the moments I open the doors. Feedback on the concept and food have been overwhelming. My wife has taken crockpots of pulled pork and sauce to work. 300 employees at her company and everyone there raved on it. My son has taken Brisket to work. He is a night stocker at Super Walmart. They keep begging him to bring more. There is absolutely no BBQ close. 60 miles + to get any que and it is chain stores. ie Famous Daves and RJ Boars. I just hope I can keep up.

Well I have rambled enough. Time to get up there and continue working.

BBQnIL

Todd
http://www.facebook.com/mainstreetbbq
http://www.twitter.com/mainstreetbbq
If you BBQ it.... They will come!
graybeard
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 07 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of whats available in your area, I hope your meat supplier can keep up. Course thats the least of your worries at the present. Good luck with all the politicians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: