FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Butt (Pulled Pork) Preparation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 07 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson tells no lie there.
Pineapple juice is a POWERFUL tenderizer. No need for those kinds of things when cooking low and slow with cuts that are naturally tender after a long cook.
gotwood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13 07 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same goes for papaya
Wild West BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 07 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a kiss fan when it comes to butts I think triming the fat changes eveything but I work with larger loads the fat to me is the flavor and I stay away from sugary rubs I make my own but the fat does a lot of the work for me I also think sauce is a personal preferance and should be added by the eater "no soup on a bun"
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24 07 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an injectable marinade that i make then honey mustard and dry rub the outside .Wrap in plastic wrap and let set in fridge overnight.Then slow smoke the next day.I apply no sauce to the finished product .The people that have tried the meat say it needs no sauce so i serve it on the side just in case someone might want some.Hope this helps
RustNRoll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought this would be the best thread for this question. this is a procedural question that im hoping some of the experienced bbq chefs on here can shed some light on.
regardless of whether or not you rub your butt and let it sit overnight in the fridge or rub it prior to smoking, do you recommend letting the butt come to room temperature before placing it in the smoker, or do you place it in still cold from the fridge. what is the difference in end results with either option?
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question and I think I've seen it posed here before but I can't remember where. You might get a better response if you re-post in the General Discussion forum. Just for the record I prep and rub my butts and pop 'em back in the fridge to "set" the rub while I go out to start the fire. Once the cooker is up to temp I take the butt out of the fridge and put it right in the smoke. No sitting around collecting cat hairs or other things.
olwiggum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08 10 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started smoking a year or so ago, I read in a couple of places that it's a good idea to sit the butts or shoulders out for an hour or so before they go on the smoker. Not really sure why, but I still do that. I did it this morning, as a matter of fact.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08 10 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fridge to pit sort of guy, with only enough time to slather and rub.

Here's my reason as always your mileage may vary!

The smoke ring is formed up to 140* once the meat is past that temperature you get no more ring but you do get more smoke flavor.

So if the room temperature is 65* you have 75* before the color is set, if you take it out of the fridge, either already prepared or to prepare it's somewhere around 40* that's an extra hour in the smoke to reach the 140*.

My team mate on the other hand likes to prepare his butts the day before, saran wrap them and refrigerate over night, but then when the cook day rolls round, he takes them out and allows them to warm up before he puts them on the pit, he says the moisture is better his way... but we cook my way in competitions!

So try both ways, and make your decision based on works for you. Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Big D's

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10 10 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried doing my first butt this past weekend on my barrel cooker, while it was in no way horrible especially being my first attempt, there's that chef in me that just wasn't satisfied. I know I can do better, just will take more experience. I purchased and have tried the new Kingsford competition briquet's but even that doesn't seem to last long in providing heat. May just be that the walls of my barrel grill/cooker are too thin for doing something like pork shoulder or brisket. I can turn out some mean ribs and chicken, but neither one requires the cook time the butt's and briskets do.

So, I have a question, one being up here in the north is there any online place I can buy quality hardwood lump charcoal that will burn longer and hotter, without paying an arm and a leg for shipping (provided that no one has a better idea to try first).
The other hard part is, there are no quality bbq joints up here to go to to taste and measure my Q up to. The places around here that do pulled pork either have sauce, no sauce but no flavor, so I have no clue what my end results should even remotely resemble. I need to move down South Very Happy Too darn many places south of me I hear you guys talk about that I want to try anyways.

But in regards to what I did, I just simply put my rub on the butt nothing else double wrapped it in shrink wrap and let it season overnight. I placed a foil pan with half water half apple juice underneath, then after halfway through basted with a 3/4 water 1/4 vinegar mix every 15 min in the last hour and a half. I then double wrapped it in HD foil and stuck it in a cooler for an hour. If anyone sees a mistake I made or has a suggestion, I'm open, like I said no truly good bbq joints around here to measure mine up to. I just know my ribs and chicken are good, never any leftovers. Smile
rbrattrud

PostPosted: Tue May 31 11 2:14 am    Post subject: Pork Butt Brine Reply with quote

I like to soak the pork in a brine mixture of salt, brown sugar and apple juice for up to three days before cooking. Doing this draws the flavor from the apple juice into the meat and lock in alot of moisture in the meat. My pork butts always turn out incredible moist and juicy and I believe this is why. Very important to rinse the meat before cooking to get the extra salt off.
Belah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 12 6:03 am    Post subject: Preparing Pork Roast Reply with quote

I put a rub of Cavender's Greek Seasoning on the pork the night before I plan to smoke it. I wrap it in foil and put it in the refrig. I smoke the meat at 300 degrees, 1 hour/pound using DRY Red Oak. While meat is smoking, I apply A Vinegar and Wosh. Sauce mixture about every hour. I smoke until the pork reaches an Internal Temp of 200-210 then pull it apart with a fork. If needed, I apply the Vinegar/Wosh. sauce to the pulled meat before serving. I've never had a complaint.....
9x9 Cypress Smokehouse with a Dirt Floor, 8'x4'x4' Steel Smoker with 8ft Pipe Burner, 2- 3'x3'x4' steel smokers with 4 ft pipe burners, 20"x 36" Steel Smoker Propane Fired, I Make and Smoke my own Sausage & Hams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: