FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Butt (Pulled Pork) Preparation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmokinJo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 07 11:38 pm    Post subject: Boston Butt (Pulled Pork) Preparation Reply with quote

How do you prepare your pulled pork?

I usually apply a coat of yellow mustard and then a good amount of rub and put it in the fridge the night before.

I've always wondered if its nescary to let it sit overnight like this? Anyone have experience with apply mustard and rub right before it goes into the smoker?

I'm still looking for the best way to cook a butt. So many different variations.

Joe

"If at first you don't succeed destroy all evidence that you tried."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 07 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you do it is just the way I do it, guess I'll sit by and check the other ways that pop up. Always had good results, but..........
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29 07 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some use no binding agent and some use EVOO. I've usually staid away from EVOO because it tends to add black a little quicker and since I use a sugary rub it messes with my "eye test". Very Happy

Some like to rub and let set for 3-4 hours instead of overnight claiming a "hammy" taste with long resting periods. And still yet there's the double rubs, that's a rub at night and a rub just before the cooking.
Smoke on the Horizon
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30 07 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have applied the rub and put in the refrig. overnight and also put the rub on 1 1/2 hours before putting on the smoker. I really can not tell much difference.
Malcrow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30 07 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did 3 butts and had the best feedback ever!

This time I trimmed a lot of the fat off. I was getting tired of all the grease in my smoker.

I use my own rub which has brown sugar, salt, garlic, onion, pepper in it.

After rubbing the meat real good I let it sit for awhile. I then started my smoker and got to cooking.

I cooked the meat for about 8 hours. When I reached an internal temp of 160 degrees I double wrapped all the butts.

At the end of 8 hours I placed the pork in a cooler to let it rest. After an hour of resting I then pull the pork.

I ended up collecting a lot of "juice" which I kept and added back into the shredded meat. After the second butt however I determined it was probablly going to be too much if I continued. So I didn't use it from the 3rd

I then lightly sauced the pork with bbq sauce. I only go light on the sauce because I want to taste the meat not the sauce. I also added a good helping of my rub to get the flavor throughout the meat.

Sorry for the long post guys but I wanted to include everything I did

Char-griller with SFB
Vermont Casting gas grill (best gas grill I have ever owned.)
SmokinJo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 07 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys like to put on the meat after pulling it? I haven't figured out what I like the best. I see for North Carolina style a vinegar based sauce is popular, but it seems kindof thin and watery. What do you recieved the best feedback from?

Also I completely cut off the leftover fat cap when I'm done. Should there even been one if I'm smoking it right? How do you guys feel about "Basting" is it nessescary?

Smokin Joe

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malcrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 07 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also cut my bbq sauce with apple juice which came out pretty good. You want to thin the sauce out in order to make it easier to coat the pork. But like you said you don't want it watery..... I try to stay away from a pulled pork soup Very Happy

My next big adventure will probably be to make my own sauce.

I have also kicked around the idea of injecting the pork with pineapple juice. Have any of you tried this?

Char-griller with SFB
Dawgfatha
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 07 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinJo wrote:
What do you guys like to put on the meat after pulling it? I haven't figured out what I like the best. I see for North Carolina style a vinegar based sauce is popular, but it seems kindof thin and watery. What do you recieved the best feedback from?

Also I completely cut off the leftover fat cap when I'm done. Should there even been one if I'm smoking it right? How do you guys feel about "Basting" is it nessescary?

Smokin Joe

I do a citrus based Mojo sauce on mine. People love this stuff too. I often have a lot of people using this sauce all over all their BBQ.

The Dawgfatha's BBQ
"BBQ You Can't Refuse!!!"
Malcrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31 07 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you make the mojo sauce?

Do you inject it or do you add if after you have finished smoking?

Char-griller with SFB
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01 07 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinJo wrote:

Smokin Joe

I don't like to sauce my pulled pork at all. Instead I have 2-3 different kinds of sauce for people to add. I personally get on flavor kicks and can swing from craving one taste to another in the same meal. So, I serve my Q with that in mind.
Malcrow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01 07 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point!!!

I do like the taste of my pulled pork before I sauce it and I have kicked around the idea of sauce on the side.

I think next time I will give that a shot. I am doing a small party this weekend I will let you guys know how it works out.

Char-griller with SFB
Dawgfatha
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01 07 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcrow wrote:
How do you make the mojo sauce?

Do you inject it or do you add if after you have finished smoking?

Mojo sauce is used like a table sauce. Add it on afterwards. Basically you sautee a little chopped garlic and add OJ, lime juice and cumin. Salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a little chopped cilantro afterwards too. It is a really good sauce.

The Dawgfatha's BBQ
"BBQ You Can't Refuse!!!"
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 07 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good Mojo sauce from ol' Bobby Flay.Say what you will about him, but he does come through from time to time. Very Happy
I've used it with pork tenderloin and it came out great. I didn't want too much heat so I just dropped the whole habanero with out cutting it and still got some kick to it.

Orange-Habanero Mojo:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 habanero chile, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Salt and freshly ground pepper

As far as pineapple juice goes...I have had limited success with that. I don't think you would want to inject it. My pork has become mushy in the past from pineapple juice being drizzled over pulled pork. Maybe thats just me...I'd be afraid to inject it and let it sit in there for hours.
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 07 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched and episode of Good Eats right before I got done with my cooker. The first time I cooked 2 butts I followed Alton Browns Brine recipe and soaked it in 3/4 cup canning salt and 3/4 cup molasses with 2 qts of water for about 12 hours. I then cooked it with no rub It was pretty darn good. Altons theory that was a Rub would make it a little to salty ( if your rub contains much salt) since it had already been brined. In the cooks since I have stepped up the soak time to over 24 hours and the results have gotten better. I also tried soaking one, coating it in mustard and giving it a rub down, it did in fact make the bark a little salty but it was fine overall
PigHusker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 07 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inject w/ apple jucie and rub it right before I put it on the smoker. I figure that bad boy hads at least eight hours of marinating to do on the smoker. As far as sauce, I leave it on the side for guests to decide. I'm now hook on vinegar based sauces. It doesn't mask the flavor of the meat. I love it. But when it comes to parties, (especially tailgating), I like to have a sweet, spicy, and vinegar based and let the people decide. This also provides feedback on what people think. I like to make my own sauce, but I also like to (in a pinch), take commerical sauce and thin it out w/ a.j. and honey, or spice it up. Just my thoughts.
SmokinJo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16 07 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the next butt I do I will inject. I've been reading Peace, Love, and Barbeque and Mr. Mike Mills prefers to inject it. PigHusker have you always injected it? If not what were the differences in the result of your final product?

somegeek
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06 07 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

istock74 wrote:
I watched and episode of Good Eats right before I got done with my cooker. The first time I cooked 2 butts I followed Alton Browns Brine recipe and soaked it in 3/4 cup canning salt and 3/4 cup molasses with 2 qts of water for about 12 hours. I then cooked it with no rub It was pretty darn good. Altons theory that was a Rub would make it a little to salty ( if your rub contains much salt) since it had already been brined. In the cooks since I have stepped up the soak time to over 24 hours and the results have gotten better. I also tried soaking one, coating it in mustard and giving it a rub down, it did in fact make the bark a little salty but it was fine overall

Did your butts already come 'enhanced' with a brine in the cryovac bag?

somegeek
klong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 07 4:44 am    Post subject: pulled pork Reply with quote

@ what temp do you pull off the smoker?
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 07 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most like 195 and rest. I like 190 and rest.

rest=wrapping in HD foil and placing in an empty cooler(no ice just room temp) for about 2 hours or so...if ya can wait that long.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 07 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't inject pineapple juice. While the flavors of pork and pineapple are very complimentary, pineapple juice contains an enzyme that breaks down the proteins in pork and makes it mushy in texture.

If anything, inject it with apple juice and use the pineapple juice in your sauce added at the end. You get the best of both worlds that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: