FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Purchase, Homemade Smoker on Trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzman72

PostPosted: Oct 16 2021    Post subject: New Purchase, Homemade Smoker on Trailer Reply with quote

I just made a deal to purchase this homemade smoker grill on a trailer. Obviously, it's going to undergo some modifications after I get it home. [Not having any luck posting an image...]

It's a decent start, but since I'm starting my retirement October 30, I can make it my winter project.
Buzzman72

PostPosted: Oct 21 2021    Post subject: More details Reply with quote

So I decided to see just how badly this one was designed. Turns out some is good, some is bad, and some could be better.

The cooking chamber body is 30" in diameter, and 60" long. Using the online calculator, the 28" long by 15" wide by 16.75" tall firebox is about half the size I need. The 28" side of the firebox is attached to the side of the cooking chamber.

If I keep the current frame, I'm stuck with the 15" width.

But I measured, and I can go 35.5" long, between the supports/stops for the cooker door. Luckily, I can go 25" tall and be even with the top of the channel iron at the lowest part of the frame. That makes the firebox 94.2% of the recommended size, so I think I can live with that.

The chimney is another matter. It's made out of 4" OD tubing/pipe, which makes it 3.75" or so ID. It extends 9" horizontally out of the cooker, then 33" vertically. The calculator tells me that's not enough chimney, so I'll have to work out what I'm doing there.

Still don't think I'm hurt at $400.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: