FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split/freeze brisket before or after cooking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelerFanInTexas

PostPosted: Mar 25 2021    Post subject: Split/freeze brisket before or after cooking Reply with quote

Hey Pitmasters-
I'm the only carnivore in my house, so I usually go out and buy brisket instead of cooking it myself. But I decided to buy one instead.

Obviously it's going to provide a huge number of meals, and I'd like to freeze some of it. My question is: should I 1) cook the whole thing, then portion/freeze it, or 2) cut it in half, freeze half and cook half?

I know none of these are ideal. Heck, the question probably offends some of you purists Wink But somehow I need to portion it - so I'm curious which is the "least worst" option Smile
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mar 25 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "master" here, but my personal preference is to freeze after cooking.

If you have a vacuum sealer cooked food stays "fresh" for a good long time. Reheating pulled pork or brisket is simple and foolproof with a pot of simmering water, just toss the vacuum bag in and let it come to temperature. The meat stays decently moist, but definitely not as good as fresh off the smoker (out of the cooler).
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mar 28 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I froze some cooked brisket once and forgot about it. Found it in the garage freezer over a year later and it still tasted great!
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Jun 10 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We smoke several thousand pounds of brisket, pork etc and from personal experience we never smoke frozen/thawed meats. Always smoke fresh and then freeze.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: