FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Cooks With A UDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apn73

PostPosted: Mon May 25 20 9:00 pm    Post subject: Long Cooks With A UDS Reply with quote

Hello All,

I sincerely hope that everyone is healthy and well, and taking good care of you and yours. I smoked a Boston Butt yesterday for pulled pork and it was good for the most part, but I dried out and scorched the bottom of it, which has never happened to me before. Because I want to guarantee that dinner is ready at a normal hour, and to avoid firing up the smoker at o'dark-thirty, I've gotten into the habit of cooking butts overnight. As far as temp management goes, this was the best smoke that I've ever had, that UDS never moved from 250 all night and most of the day. Now here's where I think I went off the rails. I put on a loaf pan chicken for the last 2 hours of the cook, and I cranked the temperature up to 300 for that. I slid the butt over to the edge of the grill, directly under the vent of the kettle cover to make way for chicken. The chicken was amazing, but I was not happy with the butt, the bottom of it qualified as "jerky."

Do you suppose that me moving the butt directly into the path of the escaping heat is what scorched the bottom of it? Does placement matter that much with the UDS style smokers? I've smoked butts at 300 before and the bottoms didn't burn like this. I'm just trying to make sure that this doesn't happen again in the future, thanks in advance for any guidance that you can provide.

Best regards,

Adam.[/i]
Simple UDS - love this thing!
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 26 20 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's exactly what happened. The airflow goes (almost) directly from the heat source to the vent. This is why I prefer reverse flow cookers.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 26 20 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diffuser plate under your rack will really help...
apn73

PostPosted: Wed May 27 20 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what happened. The airflow goes (almost) directly from the heat source to the vent. This is why I prefer reverse flow cookers.

CrazyChef, good hearing from a fellow New Englander. I'm originally from ME, spent about 9 years in Manchvegas, and am now in VA due to work. Anyway, I hear you on the reverse flow cooker, but that's about $1,500 (for a good one) that I'm not going to be able to spend anytime soon. That, and I like the idea of not having to refuel in the middle of a long smoke. Thank you for your insight though, kinda wondered about food placement after I made jerky.
apn73

PostPosted: Wed May 27 20 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
A diffuser plate under your rack will really help...

I tried using a water pan a couple of years ago, which consisted of a 9x13 baking dish with some water in it, but it pushed the cook time way out there and I abandoned the idea. I figured that I using up too many BTU's with water. You mentioned a heat diffuser, what type of arrangement do you suggest for that? My UDS is an upper and lower rack arrangement, with the upper rack being supported by lower by way of 4 aluminum cans. I would prefer to keep a 2 rack arrangement, but it's easy for me throw something on to the lower rack. Thanks for the help.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 27 20 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A water pan acts as a heat sink. A diffuser can be anything from a empty lower rack covered in foil for easy cleanup to what I use which is a 3/16 aluminum plate one inch smaller in diameter than the cooker and drilled with 1/4" holes. Check out SOEZZY'S sticky on UDS's in the cookers section...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: