FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hans BBQ sauce
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5string

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the new regime took over very soon after Han's moved out. The Han's pit was made of brick, and built inside the building. Rather than tear it up, they left it, which was perfect for the new owners. At least one of the waitresses continued on in the new place. We patronized it 2 or 3 times, but it just wasn't the same. And of course, it was missing some of the main ingredients. I haven't been anywhere near there in many years. I don't know if the building is still standing or not. It's hard to get great BBQ anymore, so I just do my own most of the time. Take care.
5string

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 09 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie54. ttt means "to the top". Move the subject "to the top" of the list.

I'm trying to generate more responses. I guess we're the only ones that know about this place.
okie54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 09 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5string wrote:
Okie54. ttt means "to the top". Move the subject "to the top" of the list.

I'm trying to generate more responses. I guess we're the only ones that know about this place.

I wish there were more. I post on OUinsider in the Oconnells section. Somebody else ran a thread about Han's. I will try it again to see about anyone else.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12 09 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhoodnc wrote:
It sounds similar to Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce(Cincinnati,Oh.). I think that stuff is nasty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree and disagree respectfully. My brother lives in Cinci and introduced me to Montgomery Inn sauce and sends me some from time to time. As directed it actually tastes better when warmed. I liked it a lot. UNTILL he brought a couple bottles out at Christmas. The flavor was a little off and the texture was well… Question . I can’t really explain it, but not right. Have not had any since and wondering if QA/QC was off or if it changed owners. Time line is within the last 6 years in general.

Confused! IMO a step up from SweetBR's

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12 09 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
mhoodnc wrote:
It sounds similar to Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce(Cincinnati,Oh.). I think that stuff is nasty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree and disagree respectfully. My brother lives in Cinci and introduced me to Montgomery Inn sauce and sends me some from time to time. As directed it actually tastes better when warmed. I liked it a lot. UNTILL he brought a couple bottles out at Christmas. The flavor was a little off and the texture was well… Question . I can’t really explain it, but not right. Have not had any since and wondering if QA/QC was off or if it changed owners. Time line is within the last 6 years in general.

Confused! IMO a step up from SweetBR's

Isn't just about anything a step up from SBR's..?? Laughing Wink
LIAR #100
bluedogok
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01 10 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5string wrote:
Yes, the new regime took over very soon after Han's moved out. The Han's pit was made of brick, and built inside the building. Rather than tear it up, they left it, which was perfect for the new owners. At least one of the waitresses continued on in the new place. We patronized it 2 or 3 times, but it just wasn't the same. And of course, it was missing some of the main ingredients. I haven't been anywhere near there in many years. I don't know if the building is still standing or not. It's hard to get great BBQ anymore, so I just do my own most of the time. Take care.

It is a Mexican restaurant now, I think Cocina de Marin is the name or it was at one time, I remember that because it is my wife's maiden name.

It you ate there on Friday or Saturday nights from the summer of 79 to the summer of 80 then I cleaned up the bones....Laughing
brickoven1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 11 5:34 am    Post subject: Hans BBQ sauce recipe Reply with quote

I have a recipe for the suace but I am in Budapest, Hungary until the 1st of the year. If you want to contact me in OKC in January perhaps we can discuss it.
Lotahp1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03 11 7:11 am    Post subject: Hans BBQ Reply with quote

I have lived in OKC my whole life and my parents took my brother and me there alot as a small kid. Im 30 now. I would LOVE to have this BBQ sauce. We use to buy it and take it home even. If I remember there was a Hot also. If anyone knows this reciepe PLEASE let me know. I remember my Dad saying he took my Mom there on dates before they married...its been awhile but I can still taste it.

Thanks
Kris
okie54

PostPosted: Tue May 01 12 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hans BBQ sauce recipe Reply with quote

brickoven1 wrote:
I have a recipe for the suace but I am in Budapest, Hungary until the 1st of the year. If you want to contact me in OKC in January perhaps we can discuss it.

I sent you a pm. Please contact me.
SherriOKC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10 12 5:24 am    Post subject: Han's Barbeque Reply with quote

Just so you'll know: I went to Han's when I was a child, 55 years ago. It was located on N.E. 23rds Street, had old wooden plank floors, Han's guaranteed that their baked potato was at least 1 pound...and they were! He had a special grower and he purchased the HUGE potatoes from.

It moved to N.W. 10th and Tulsa but remained the same food. I usually got the chopped beef...but it was not chopped until you ordered it and came with NO sauce on it. The sauce was always on the side. Their ribs were dry-rubbed. My Mom bought many, many bottles of their sauce. I LOVED IT...STILL WOULD...can't find a recipe for it or any other sauce that comes near to it. It really surprised me when they closed and did not market their sauce to the public. AMAZING!

If anyone out there knows this sauce...i.e., recipe, please reply.

Thanks,

SherriOKC
okie54

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10 12 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to find that sauce.
KP Duty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11 12 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live 4 blocks from there, wish it was still Hans instead of the Mexican fare. Especially when I don't feel like doing my own Qing. I've tried to get the recipe for the sauce from Glen's hickory inn, but to no avail. Good Luck Sad
40Gal Hor. cooker w/ rotisserie
ECB
6' In yard rotisserie
Gasser ( for burn bans)
35Gal. Chexmix smoker, 55G. this year
50 year old cast iron kettle, wants TLC
okie54

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11 12 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see some remembering Hans...now if someone would remember the recipe for the sauce.
okie54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13 13 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hoping someone will remember a sauce like Hans BBQ sauce....a sweet, thin sauce that would do a slow burn on your mouth and leave your plate totally red.
Mikec111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20 19 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hans BBQ sauce Reply with quote

okie54 wrote:
About 15 years ago a place in Oklahoma City went out of business that was called Hans BBQ (Hans Abraham). He bottled his own BBQ sauce and it was the best I have ever had.

It was a thin sauce that literally turned your plate red and would stay that way until you washed it. I assume this was a vinegar based sauce although the flavor was sweet with a definite heat delay. I assume vinegar, sugar and cayenne pepper would be primary but I haven't duplicated it yet (or even really come close). The bottle use to always say "an old Norwegian Recipe".

Anyone have any ideas about how to duplicate this sauce?

I googled Norwegian bbq and found this. Probably not 'it' but maybe a good base to start with. I'm not sure how to attach an image. It contains ketchup, brown sugar, tobasco and... coffee !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: