FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Char Broil Big Easy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30 19 8:35 am    Post subject: Char Broil Big Easy Reply with quote

Howdy all, hope this finds everyone well!
I work out of town, and the few weekends I get to spend at home are short. Usually not long enough to fire up a smoker.
I've never fried a turkey, but I've ate some and really like them. I'm looking at an "oil less" fryer, Char Broil Big Easy. anyone have any experience? Comments or complaints?
Thanks,
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30 19 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bud that has had one for a couple months. He is a gadget freak but says it has a big learning curve. Rubs that have any sugar in them even onion & garlic powder go black in just minutes. Same with brines. That said I tried some UGLY turkey that tasted a lot better than it looked.
To me the best "fried" turkey, wings, or whole chicken is favorite rub, smoked to 130-140, then finish in fryer. If you don't have a lot of time make a UDS, get it started take a nap or whatever for about 4 hr. then into the fryer to 165.
You get a smoked moist bird with a great crisp skin...
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31 19 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jess! Unfortunately my UDS floated away in a flood a few years ago. I do have a couple of 22" Weber kettles, and a 18" WSM. I think the Big Easy can hold a 16# bird. I'll bet I could smoke it a few hours in one of those Webers!
I appreciate the input.
I wonder if the "oil less" fryer will produce the same result?
As I read here on the smokering once upon a time, a good thing about cooking is that you get to eat the mistakes!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31 19 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Something that makes those weber 22's a lot more useful is pickup a piece of 10-12" aluminum flashing,2 - 1/4" steel rods 2' ea., & 1/2 a dozen pop rivets. Roll the flashing till it fits in the lip of the grill & overlaps itself. Rivet it in4-5 places measure up 6" & drill 4 - 1/4" holes, stick 1/4 rod thru & place your grate or a new one on rods. No worries about temp to hot for flashing & it gives more room for extra rack & or more space for whole birds butts, rib roast, etc...
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 19 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're describing a riser with bars to hold an extra grate. The kettle's lid sits on top of the riser. Did I read it right?
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01 19 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: