FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing zinc plating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20 19 11:13 am    Post subject: Removing zinc plating Reply with quote

I want to add shelving tracks inside my UDS. It's the vertical tracks that you add clips for shelf support. The cheap ones at HD and Lowe's look to be zinc coated. I can't find SS tracks or clips, so I was thinking to go with these, and strip the zinc coating. Research shows I can soak the clips and the tracks in vinegar, overnight, and that should remove the coating. Many posts on other BBQ forums mentioned that's what they got from other welder forums.

Wondering what you experts think? I'd go with SS directly if they existed. Closest steel fabs/welders that are willing to do custom stuff for my small project are at minimum 30 min away, so hoping the vinegar solution is viable.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20 19 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMHO but I would probably build a charcoal fire and burn the galv. off...
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20 19 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess I could do that too afterwards for peace of mind, but we have burn bans in our area right now, so don't want to be raising alarms when trying to get it a +500F fire in my UDS. I was just going to put the clips in a cup, covered with vinegar. Then using PVC pipe, seal one end, add the rails, and fill that to the top. SHould be easy to dispose the vinegar compared to acid.
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21 19 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got vinegar solution working right now but just found out I could use citric acid and water, and be done within an hours time! Will try that on next batch of screws.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22 19 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit late to the party but I can tell you that you I would have just mounted as is. The zinc plating while some say is dangerous in my opinion is fine. I use zinc bolts right off the shelf for UDS's all the time.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: