FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fast cut butt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12 19 8:55 am    Post subject: Fast cut butt Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted. Have not even used the smoker for a few months now.

My wife and I wanted to have our friends over for an early dinner yesterday and I had a 9.8lb pork butt in the freezer. I took it out and thawed it out with my wife not knowing how large it was. She freaked out asking how I was going to get it cooked in time without doing an overnight smoke?

I informed her I was going to cut through it (as best as possible with the bone as it was a blade roast) and I was also going to cook it hotter.

So, come 7am yesterday morning, I got the UDS warming up and started prepping the meat. I cut it all the way through (had to go around the bone just a bit and then cut down to the bone on the one that had it and most of the way through the other one (so they looked about the same). Yellow mustard and my rub and got them on the smoker at 7:30. Temps ranged from 280 down to 210 (it cooled down and I had to open some vents to get the temp back to 225) but was mostly above 250 until around 12:30pm when I realized it was cooking faster than I needed. I pulled them off and stuck them in a cooler at 2pm (one was 199 and the other was 196).

Our friends asked if they could come a little later and we said it was no problem, the meat was in the cooler and would hold, so I didn't end up pulling it until around 5:30.

Picture taken around 11:45:

No pulled pics as you have all seen a tin of pulled pork!

So, the end result was a success as it gave more bark and more surface area for the heat to get in and cook the meat faster. I will use this method whenever I need to cook meat faster from now on!

Meat was paired with Roxy's Coleslaw, whole wheat buns or ciabatta buns and Ranch style slow cooker beans:
https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/slow-cooker-ranch-style-pinto-beans-30795
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12 19 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I've often thought about doing this, but never have. Wonder what the optimal thickness of the chunk of meat would yield the best ratio of bark to moist meat.

I need to do a cook for my granddaughters first birthday, and I may cut the butts down as you did.
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13 19 12:35 am    Post subject: Butt size Reply with quote

Over here, I rarely find pork butts cut in pieces greater than 1.5 kg. Typically, they weigh 1.2 kg. Small ones weigh about 1.0 kg.

I smoke them all with excellent results. Within that size range, bigger is typically better, though.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13 19 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Butt size Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
Over here, I rarely find pork butts cut in pieces greater than 1.5 kg. Typically, they weigh 1.2 kg. Small ones weigh about 1.0 kg.

I smoke them all with excellent results. Within that size range, bigger is typically better, though.

Wow, those are small butts. For the non metric crowd, that would be from 2.2lbs to 3.3lbs.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13 19 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucket wrote:
Nice. I've often thought about doing this, but never have. Wonder what the optimal thickness of the chunk of meat would yield the best ratio of bark to moist meat.

I need to do a cook for my granddaughters first birthday, and I may cut the butts down as you did.

I remember seeing a post where somebody took a whole butt and cut it up into 1.5" cubes (or so) and treated it like burnt ends, giving a huge bark-to-meat ratio.

They had a funny name for it as well, I will see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it on the Kingsford Grillmasters group on Facebook. The guy (D.j. Martin) called them "Butt Nuggets".
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13 19 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVonhof wrote:
bucket wrote:

I remember seeing a post where somebody took a whole butt and cut it up into 1.5" cubes (or so) and treated it like burnt ends, giving a huge bark-to-meat ratio.

Edit: Found it on the Kingsford Grillmasters group on Facebook. The guy (D.j. Martin) called them "Butt Nuggets".

Hmmm...Okay. Maybe I won't do that. I can handle eating a "fatty", even a "buffalo turd", but I may draw the line at "butt Nugget". Smile

I still may cut them into 2" slabs and try that though. More bark and less cooking time = Win/Win
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13 19 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucket wrote:
SVonhof wrote:
bucket wrote:

Hmmm...Okay. Maybe I won't do that. I can handle eating a "fatty", even a "buffalo turd", but I may draw the line at "butt Nugget". Smile

I still may cut them into 2" slabs and try that though. More bark and less cooking time = Win/Win

Basically you are cutting them into CSR's. Laughing
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 19 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have divided butts on numerous occasions. Simply slice them in half right by the bone...money muscle/boneless half, and blade-bone(in) half. It's a simple process that takes mere seconds.

Also, I would have kept the temp at 280+ the entire time...and in your case I probably wouldn't have even sliced them up. You had plenty of time, but I understand the "err on the side of caution" attitude.

Nice work, brother.
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 19 12:14 pm    Post subject: Pork Burnt Ends Reply with quote

SVonhof wrote:
bucket wrote:

Use the search function right in front of you to find a post on this subject I put up a while back. Bring up the search function and type in Pork Burnt Ends and the author Old Dave and enjoy.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15 19 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pork Burnt Ends Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:
SVonhof wrote:
bucket wrote:

Use the search function right in front of you to find a post on this subject I put up a while back. Bring up the search function and type in Pork Burnt Ends and the author Old Dave and enjoy.

Yeah, but you didn't come up with the funny name! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: