FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weekend rib off with brisket & Wings (pic heavy)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18 19 10:51 pm    Post subject: Weekend rib off with brisket & Wings (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Hey Ringers
Hoping to revive my comp team "Chest Fever Q" this summer with some tailgate comps (ribs and wings) so had to go head to head on ribs with my partner. He tackled the wings so I didn't get many pics but the grilled ones were better than the smoked so more practice needed. Rocked a quick 11lb brisket too.

Had to go 3 levels on the WSM

Full spread

We can start with the Wings:
Brined for 4 hours, sauces and grilled - think we grill at hotter temps next time and the skin results will be better. super moist though!

Here are the smoked one that we finished on the grill with a version of hot sauce from the @theribman - I wasn't impressed overall. These weren't brined, I missed on the flavor profile and the skin was tough as hell.

Now rib time! Trimmed, rubbed, smoked, wraps, glazed and smoked at 265 with apple chunks over royal oak lump

For two guys that haven't cooked together for a long time it was amazing how close the flavor profiles were. Both rocking our own sauce and rub combos. The texture was perfect and the crowd couldn't pick a winner.

BRISKET! By far, my favorite meat to cook and eat. 10lbs trimmed, injected and rubbed. this is 7 hours in at 250 degrees and wrapped with butcher paper

Sliced

Sliced and sauced

my thickest slice bent nice

we also went for burn't ends - mix of Blues Hog Nation Smokey Mtn, beef stock and a shake of my beef rub back on the pit

finished pile

Now we all know looking ain't cooking so get the hell back on the pit.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 19 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it is a great looking cook when I am drooling over Q at 5:00 am.
If you want to try wings a little different try rub, then smoke an hr. to 1 1/2 then trip thru a fryer a few minutes, then sauce. Best of both worlds smoke, moist, crispy. JMHO...
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22 19 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
totally agree on ribs but I gotta find a balance for these tailgate events. I have watched a few friends and they do them like express thighs. On the smoker for like 40 mins, foil pan wrapped for 40 mins and then on a hot grill for 30 mins. Glaze at the 15 min mark. I really wanted to figure it out for smoker for 1 hour 15 mins then quick hot grill.

keep practicing
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 19 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jess on the wings.

Wing skin (chicken skin in general) isn't my favorite in the smoker.

For me, I like to smoke them for 15-20 min, then fry them to crisp, sauce then finish them on the grill to lightly burn the sauce. This is the plate that gets finished first in our crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: