FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Smoker/Grill combo for under $500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kansasboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 08 11:41 pm    Post subject: Best Smoker/Grill combo for under $500 Reply with quote

Any thoughts..?...Have a little money burning a hole in my pocket and would like to buy a good smoker/grill combo for under 5 bills or so...
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best cooker for under $500" is a broad question. It depends on whether you want to babysit a fire or set it and forget it. Then brings the question of electric, propane, charcoal, or wood. For best flavor go charcoal or wood. With that said to narrow it down further ask yourself if you are looking for easy to use and more or less set it or forget it or a commitment to fiddle with fire for hours on end. If looking for an easy set it and forget it solution a Webber Smokey Mountain or ProQ would be a good choice. Most will give reasons for one vs another. Both are excellent choices. Making a UDS or Ugly drum smoker if you have an hour or two to spare is a great option and would cost considerably less than both of the above options and you can spend the money saved on fuel and lovely meats such as standing rib roasts and such. If you like the primal feeling of tending the fire then an inexpensive or used off set would be the route to go.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
Kansasboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply....It would have to be charcoal or wood....I have had two electrics and although I like my MB ok...just doesn't give a guy the feeling of real smoking imo...and I have looked at the WSM"s and no doubt they are a great smoker...but I think you hit it on the head as the tending fire aspect is exactly what I am looking for.....so I guess I can narrow down the searcj to a good off set....any suggestions..?
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a real void when it comes to quality equipment. For $200 you can get the WSM. Good basic smoker and can be used as a grill if need be. You really need to start pushing $1000 before you can get into serious smoker territory.

I would think that for $500 you could get a decent sized BGE, primo or other ceramic cooker.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansasboy wrote:
....so I guess I can narrow down the searcj to a good off set....any suggestions..?

For the budget you mentioned, this one has my eye. It looks identical to my New Braunfels. Actually I purchased the Bar-B-Chef cast iron grates as replacements to my NB offset.

http://www.bbqgalore.com/smokers/bar_b_chef_offset/

Just a word of warning, I heard somewhere that BBQ Galore was either scaling down or going out of business.

Mike
jansboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the UDS, I've made three and they work great. I bought a knock off Weber style from Sears and used the top for my UDS and still have the kettle to grill on when I'm not smoking. If you turn the barrel upside down and cut the bottom out the lid fits the bottom of the barrel very good. I just used the lock ring to hold the top on thats now the bottom. It makes it easy to clean after useing it.The cost will be around $100.00 if you have to buy the kettle, and much less if you can find a used one or can talk a friend out of his old Weber. Laughing
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say everyone should have a WSM in their collection of cookers,great for smoking,great for charcoal grilling Very Happy .
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WSM is as close to "set it & forget it" as you can get with charcoal/wood chunks.

ETA: You can get a Webber Kettle for grilling, a WSM for smoking and come in under $500 easy. I bought the 18.5 gold and it was about $100 and I caught a deal on buy.com (thanks to someone on this board alerting us) and got the WSM for $115 plus shipping. They are well made units, I can shut the vents on both and reuse the fuel on the next cook.
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I did. I started with WSM then bought a Weber 22.5" OTG, Now I have three WSM's and two Weber grills plus a Brinkman grill.
SierraScott
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 08 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber Kettle... I have a Silver Smoker from CharBroil, too. you can buy 2 of each for $500 at home depot. Very Happy

I've learned a lot from cooking on my weber kettle. I do all my ABT's with indirect heat. I've been smoking chickens and tri tip too. cooks a little faster but great results.

Custom Built Upright Smoker
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5"
CharBroil Silver Smoker
SecretS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 18 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga wrote:
"Best cooker for under $500" is a broad question. It depends on whether you want to babysit a fire or set it and forget it. Then brings the question of electric, propane, charcoal, or wood. For best flavor go charcoal or wood. With that said to narrow it down further ask yourself if you are looking for easy to use and more or less set it or forget it or a commitment to fiddle with fire for hours on end. If looking for an easy set it and forget it solution a Webber Smokey Mountain or ProQ would be a good choice. Most will give reasons for one vs another. Both are excellent choices. Making a UDS or Ugly drum smoker if you have an hour or two to spare is a great option and would cost considerably less than both of the above options and you can spend the money saved on fuel and lovely meats such as standing rib roasts and such. If you like the primal feeling of tending the fire then an inexpensive or used off set would be the route to go.

Sorry for bumping...but thanks for this info! All the best

Last edited by SecretS on Tue Nov 13 18 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 18 12:38 am    Post subject: Char-Griller Acorn Reply with quote

These days, there is also the Char-Griller Acorn.

It is a good all-in one.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 18 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSM 22.5
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17 18 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a insulate gravity fed cabinet. Great smoker twenty pounds of charcoal and wood chunks about a hour setting the air ballcock and it will cook 12 hours at 230 degrees without touching it. Bought a wsm at a home depot for $59.00 about this time of year and I never use the one I built. I love my wsm. Hope that helps
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19 18 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a insulate gravity fed cabinet. Great smoker twenty pounds of charcoal and wood chunks about a hour setting the air ballcock and it will cook 12 hours at 230 degrees without touching it. Bought a wsm at a home depot for $59.00 about this time of year and I never use the one I built. I love my wsm. Hope that helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: