FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire box repair advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quietman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28 18 9:06 pm    Post subject: Fire box repair advice Reply with quote

Hoping for some direction here. I have a lang 84 that has a
burn through right where the v in the rf plate meets the back of the chamber. I'm going to clean it up today, looks to be the entire area of the grease trough connection is compromised at the seam.

This is a repair that I will find someone else to do, I am not a welder. Just wondering if there is anything in particular that I should be aware of, or is this a no brainer for someone proficient at welding. Thanks.

do not know how to post photos here anymore
KMM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 18 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty straight forward, would suggest you consider cleaning the area up with a sanding disk, there are a lot of well intentioned welders out there that seem to be averse to cleaning up before welding. Once you have it cleaned up you will get a better idea how far out you will have to go for sound metal to weld on.
Figure it will cost you about $50-75.00 at a commercial welding shop (if you can find one willing to do it). However, I'll bet you could find a half dozen good welders within 5 miles of you place who would be more than willing to trade a pan full of pulled pork and 12 pack for a simple repair like that.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 18 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by the back of the chamber you mean the end connected to the firebox a little cleaning / grinding and patch on the firebox side makes you good. I would contact Ben Lang, burn-outs are uncommon in a Lang...
Quietman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29 18 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply's, glad to hear that it's a straight forward repair.

I will be putting a flap wheel to both sides for a good clean up before taking it to be welded.

As for burnout being uncommon, I would agree. However this pit being fabricated in "04, used hard and living in the harsh north east weather is the contributing factor. It is only covered during heavy snow. I believe corrosion from the top side to be the biggest culprit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: