FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to this forum?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQ-DAWG
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 18 8:08 am    Post subject: What happened to this forum? Reply with quote

When I first got into smoking meat and bbq I seem to remember this forum as pretty happening. Now it seems like there are entire days between posts. Maybe my memory is wrong idk.
Lang hybrid 36
Weber kettle ranch
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 18 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Social" media...

Makes it much easier for people to not actually socialize with each other.

Rolling Eyes
kempshark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 18 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering the same thing. I hadn't been on it in a while due to a new job and other things going on.....came back on the forum and nothing is happening here anymore. Was looking forward to seeing what I'd been missing, but apparently I wasn't missing much for all of that time! Sad
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20 18 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than social media sites, like Facebook, there are still plenty of regular forums such as this one. The big difference is that their owners/moderators are all very active with not only policing but also interacting.

The other thing "active" forums that have been around for decades have in common is updating their platforms. You simply can not stay stagnant for very long. The forum style used here, and interfaces associated with it, are not friendly to the end user at all. For newcomers, trying to figure out how to post a simple picture just isn't worth the effort. They move on to other forums where it is easier...and have much more traffic.

I agree...10 years ago this was the place to be. Now...I visit about once a week. Whereas I go to other forums and several different Facebook barbecue groups (6 in total) multiple times per day.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20 18 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example:

I have been on vacation & away from my regular forums for two weeks. Logging on today, this site has 10 new posts for that entire two week period. Another similar forum I go to has over 300 new posts for the same time period.
MountainMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20 18 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some of us that continue to refuse to use the various forms of "social media".

We are still here waiting for good discussions.

Pictures are OK but you won't see any from me as I'd rather eat than brag Smile Smile
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 18 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real shame we use to have some very enjoyable times here. Now, it's just a ghost town.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23 18 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I joined this forum, the weekends and the holidays felt like a block party. It had the energy that made you feel like you and 50 of your friends were gathering around with their smokers and preparing for a big cook. Old timers helping newbies, newbies asking questions, discussions on everything BBQ. A lot of friends were made, a lot of great human qualities on display. During the week you had those over the fence discussions.

Sad that people have moved on but I fully understand. Sometimes life takes over, most of us have had major life events in the last decade that demand our time, make us evaluate our time management.

That being said, I will never forget the great friendships I've made on The Ring, the great times I've had on here and the knowledge that has been shared and passed on to me.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24 18 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times it does not hurt to reach out over the fence, you might find your new neighbor likes Q...
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25 18 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first trailer pit off this forum built by Wreckless. I'm still using that pit regularly today and and it is my prized possession. For that I will be forever grateful of finding this place and getting to know Mike even though we never personally met.

I check in every so often to see what's going on and as being said it's not much. The format is outdated and picture posting is just a nightmare compared to other places.
Posting pictures on a bbq forum is a large part of participation.

It would be great to see the changes made to get this place back to a good level of activity.
I'll keep this place bookmarked and keep checking back in to see if anything happens.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25 18 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Some times it does not hurt to reach out over the fence, you might find your new neighbor likes Q...

For years I fired up the smokers and had 3 neighbors in shouting distance always wanting to know what was cooking and occasionally ending up in the back yard with a beer in hand at dinner time. Over the last 15 years those guys have gone from just a kettle or just a gasser to having offsets and WSM's. And often there are beers to be had at an all night cook at someones house!!
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26 18 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.c.hawg wrote:

For years I fired up the smokers and had 3 neighbors in shouting distance always wanting to know what was cooking and occasionally ending up in the back yard with a beer in hand at dinner time. Over the last 15 years those guys have gone from just a kettle or just a gasser to having offsets and WSM's. And often there are beers to be had at an all night cook at someones house!!

Now there's a cool story! And the Ring used to be full of them every night. Used to be that I would watch (and sometimes participate in) only the general, cookers, and off topic forums. I would spend an hour or two every evening reading them, and couldn't read them all! Now, I've read every post to every forum for a couple of years! Quite a change. It does seem that it has been getting slightly busier lately, I'm taking that as a good sign Wink
cityevader
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 18 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been here in years, and just now logged in....wowsers, this site is impossible to use on my phone!!!

I remember "back when" this forum was nearly "live", as in type a response and right away someone would post a reply.

Does anybody here remember Teleking being so adamantly against wireless thermometers, and then his auction sale thread?

To make the ° temperature symbol, hold the Alt key while typing 248 on keypad.
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28 18 5:34 am    Post subject: Old Timers on this forum Reply with quote

This is still a pretty good forum and I wonder just how many old timers are still here?

How many of you people even know the forum owner?

Were any of you on the Ring list that existed before the forum?
That was a nice way to talk BBQ.

I don't find it any problem to post here but I just don't do as much cooking as I use to.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 18 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss it to. Is the picture problem the web site or photo bucket. I built a gravity feed smoker. Something I had never heard of until I got on this site had so much help on where to buy this and that. Found roxys mustard BBQ sauce here my wife loves. I don't post much because I don't cook much.had a stroke about six years ago doing great now but has gotten so expensive to cook now retired and trying not to run out of money before I die.maybe it will come back I hope cause I had really enjoyed it. Have a great day.
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 18 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't been on here in a long time, but the other day I scored a Klose pit and came here and was surprised at how dead it got. Life happens, that is why I haven't been on, I assume that is what happened to everyone else.

I've barely been cooking on the pit, and not doing much experimenting, which is when the pictures/questions come out. I've been just doing tried and true cooks. Not much to talk about or brag about with that.
Stainless

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02 18 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really say I'm an old timer but I did enjoy frequenting this forum back in the day. It still pops up in my tabs when I open Chrome so I scan over it.

I haven't really been doing any hobby cooking in a while other than the occasional small cooks. Meat got too expensive and nobody in my family enjoys it like me so it just doesn't happen much other than occasional pork butt.
apn73

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 18 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, reading some of the above posts is like reading the eulogy at a funeral, and that's not a good thing.
Simple UDS - love this thing!
Capt Chrysler
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06 18 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I have also been gone for awhile. I used to look in a couple of times a day. Kids moved out, Doc said watch what you eat a little closer. Cooking style changed. Got back into cars and car forums on FB.

With all that. I can say I learned the most from this group. 90% of my Q ideas and recipes came from here.

Remember when the weekend cook was QX? Then everyone posted the photos of their work?

Capt. Chrysler

Back for awhile.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06 18 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe it is time to re-build the site. On this one post we have around a dozen members that have been here for around ten yrs. or so.
If each member reaches out to one "old timer" and one new Q fan it can build on it self.
As I said in another post there is too much knowledge and too many good memories to let TSR slip away...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: