FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Smoke in the Pellet Pit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 16 18 11:41 pm    Post subject: More Smoke in the Pellet Pit Reply with quote

So I bought a Pitboss vertical pellet smoker for the times when I don't want to drag the Stumps Classic out of the garage to do 2 racks of ribs. My initial thought was that it worked pretty good. this is the first pellet pit Ive ever used. The main drawback is the amount of smoke. It produces smoke in cycles and Id like a more pronounced smoke on some meats I cook. Ive been Googling how to get more smoke in a pellet grill. Some people have said use a pellet maze or tube. I bought a maze and am having a tough time keeping pellets lit. I microwave and stir them for 6, some times more minutes before I light and when I put them in the smoker, they tend to go out. Im sure its because of the oxygen deficient environment. Ive seen the "mailbox mod" you can do but don't really wanna cut a hole in it. So with all this in mind I ask the Ringers...any ideas how to either get more smoke in a pellet smoker, or how to keep the pellet maze burning? Thanks y'all!
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17 18 5:32 am    Post subject: Pellet Smoker Reply with quote

For more smoke, start your cooks at a lower temperature at maybe 150-170 degrees for the first couple of hours as you will get more smoke at this lower temp as the pellet cookers are not very efficient at this temp and will not burn as clean. Then raise the temperature up to what you want after this first phase of the cook.

Your additional smoke device is not getting enough air for it to stay lit. Place it at the very rear of the cooker where the air is coming up from under the diffuser plates that are in most cookers. You just need some draft on this device.
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 17 18 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pellet Smoker Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:
For more smoke, start your cooks at a lower temperature at maybe 150-170 degrees for the first couple of hours as you will get more smoke at this lower temp as the pellet cookers are not very efficient at this temp and will not burn as clean. Then raise the temperature up to what you want after this first phase of the cook.

Your additional smoke device is not getting enough air for it to stay lit. Place it at the very rear of the cooker where the air is coming up from under the diffuser plates that are in most cookers. You just need some draft on this device.

Thanks Dave! Much Appreciated!
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17 18 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an A Maze N Smoker Tube for my cabinet smoker that I use for bacon. It works like an absolute champ, no prep necessary. I got the 12" which fully loaded gives a good 5 to 6 hrs of smoke. They make a smaller tube either 6" or 8" If you continue to have trouble with your maze check the tube out. Think it was about $30 and one of the best Q accessories I've ever purchased. I use Traeger pellets, hit the end with a map torch and let it burn off for about 1 min and it's ready.

Good luck getting your maze dialed in.

30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 18 18 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.c.hawg wrote:
I purchased an A Maze N Smoker Tube for my cabinet smoker that I use for bacon. It works like an absolute champ, no prep necessary. I got the 12" which fully loaded gives a good 5 to 6 hrs of smoke. They make a smaller tube either 6" or 8" If you continue to have trouble with your maze check the tube out. Think it was about $30 and one of the best Q accessories I've ever purchased. I use Traeger pellets, hit the end with a map torch and let it burn off for about 1 min and it's ready.

Good luck getting your maze dialed in.

I smoked some sharp cheddar and pepper jack with the maze and it worked great. No heat just smoke. I have trouble keeping it lit when I try to add smoke to a hot smoke. Experimentations continue...Peace!
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 18 18 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cayenneman wrote:
I smoked some sharp cheddar and pepper jack with the maze and it worked great. No heat just smoke. I have trouble keeping it lit when I try to add smoke to a hot smoke. Experimentations continue...Peace!

Could be that on a hot smoke, your regular heart source is eating up the oxygen...leaving little behind for the maze to smolder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: