FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about smoking 2 meats at the same time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBePitMaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 18 2:25 am    Post subject: Question about smoking 2 meats at the same time Reply with quote

I know this is probably a silly question. But, I'd love some advice from the experts. This weekend I'm taking my new WSM on its maiden voyage. We have about 15 people coming over, so I want the food to come out good. Although the WSM is new, the concept of smoking meat is not as I've cut my teeth on a Masterbuilt propane smoker. Oddly enough, this will be my first time smoking more than one kind of meat at a time. I'm planning on smoking a brisket and 2 pork shoulders. I have a Maverick thermometer with 2 temp probes. What I'm trying to figure out is where to put the probes. Not knowing how the WSM cooks, I want to keep my eye on the temp in the chamber. However, with 2 types of meat going on at separate times, I'm thinking maybe it's better to use both probes for that. So, do I put one probe in each type of meat? Do I put one in the brisket (or pork) and use the other to monitor the temp of the smoker? Is the stock thermometer in the lid of the WSM accurate enough to rely on?
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 18 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maiden voyage on your wsm ?

Noooooo.
WannaBePitMaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 18 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lawry wrote:
The maiden voyage on your wsm ?

Noooooo.

?????
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 18 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dome temp on a WSM is historically around 50 degrees higher than the grate temp...so while the therm may be accurate enough, just remember it will be registering high. Personally, I just look at my dome therm & call it a day. I don't really care about the exact temp of my pit...get me in the ball park & let me cook where she sits.

PS...I have never used a remote probe either for pit temp or meat temp in my life.

Last edited by Pit Boss on Sat Apr 14 18 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
WannaBePitMaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13 18 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great feedback. Thank you.

Next question; I've purchased the meat and have 1 8.74 pound brisket and two pork shoulders that are about 7.5 each. We're having people over around 6 pm and won't necessarily eat right away. So, do I start it at midnight and TFC it once it's done. Or, do I get up and start it at 5 the morning of? I like the idea of doing the morning of, but makes me nervous that it might not be done in time. I mean theoretically it COULD take almost 18 hours, which would be too late to feed everyone. If I start it the night before, it makes me nervous to be sleeping during the start of the cook, especially with it being new. What if the temp drops too low while I'm sleeping? Assuming that all goes well with the temp, it'll be done several hours before every one gets there, so I'll just TFC it and let it sit in the cooler for a while.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15 18 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally fire it up early and rest in the cooler. I don't prefer anything right off the smoker. I would also be inclined to start the cook, get everything steadied in the cook and then maybe rest a couple hours in. Nothing worse than having a gathering of people, meat coming off late and then explaining to people it needs to rest before the brisket is sliced or cool before the pork is pulled.

Double wrapped in foil, a good cooler and something to fill empty space and I've rested stuff 5 hours or more.

Make sure the probes are in the middle of the thickest part of the meat but not against bone if shoulders are bone in. If you have a brisket flat no worries....if it has a flat and point make sure the probe is not in the fat cap between the two.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!

Last edited by k.c.hawg on Tue Apr 17 18 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snowsmoke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 18 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WSM dome therm is about 35 hotter than bottom grate and 25 hotter than the top grate. If it runs nice and steady, you have your internal therm and fingers to judge if its is done. Mine loves to just hum along at 275 on the dome lid and I know brisket and butts will be fine.

For me, I would light at 4am, get the meats on around 5a and plan to be ready to take the meats out any time after 3p if they are done for a nice rest.

if its windy, make some adjustments for a longer time in the pit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: