FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Offset Project Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enduro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03 18 2:57 am    Post subject: New Offset Project Questions Reply with quote

I'm in the process of attempting my first traditional offset project. I had a Lang reverse flow, but wanted this one to be the traditional style with tuning plates just for something new to learn.

My cooking chamber is 24 diameter x 48 long, with a firebox of 20 x 20 x 20. I used the calculator to come up with my FB to CC area, air intake numbers, etc...

I plan on having a lower and upper cooking rack, and should have my spacing figured out - but I do have a couple of questions. I'm going to build a plenum for the exhaust that extends past the normal length of the CC cylinder, and would like some input on the design. I haven't purchased the material for this yet, so I'm still flexible. My thoughts are to use a 5" pipe for the stack, and mount it on a horizontal plate as close to the top of the CC as possible. My question is... if I extend the plenum down to the top of the upper cooking rack, will that volume need to be figured into the volume of the exhaust stack in order to get the flow right? Am I overthinking this?

Also, I have the rails for the tuning plates mounted in the CC with the rails mounted at the top of the FB opening and a 1" drop to the opposite side. To avoid wasting material, what would you recommend as far as number and size of the tuning plates?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03 18 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re likely overthinking it, some of the other guys can tell you that better than I. One thing about it, though, the extra length isn’t 5” pipe; it’ll be a completely different volume and flow characteristic, plus adding a transition point that has got to affect it somehow.- sounds to me like it’d better just be added to the CC volume than the stack.

I did the same thing, and I really didn’t even bother figuring it in.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03 18 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Offset Project Questions Reply with quote

enduro wrote:
My question is... if I extend the plenum down to the top of the upper cooking rack, will that volume need to be figured into the volume of the exhaust stack in order to get the flow right?
This area does not get figured into the equations.

Also, I have the rails for the tuning plates mounted in the CC with the rails mounted at the top of the FB opening and a 1" drop to the opposite side. To avoid wasting material, what would you recommend as far as number and size of the tuning plates?

I would use seven plates 6" wide that will allow around 8" to manipulate the plate gaps. You may find that over time six plates will work.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
enduro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03 18 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
Thank you both for putting my mind at ease as I continue with this project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: