FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camp Chef Pellet Smoker - Rib Fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazzoli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12 17 10:31 pm    Post subject: Camp Chef Pellet Smoker - Rib Fail Reply with quote

i just received my Camp Chef Pellet smoker on Friday. I put the smoker together on saturday and also cured it by running it at 350 for ~1 hour.
On Sunday, I smoked baby back ribs on a camp chef dlx smoker. I did a 2-2-1 method and the ribs were very dry (similar to jerky).
I have success and call my self a good backyard smoker with my masterbuilt electric smoker. However I can’t seem to figure out what I did wrong.
I smoked the ribs for 2 hours on high, which is 220. Then wrapped them in foil and adjusted the temp to 225. Then 1 hour at 225 with no foil.
In my opinion I felt like there was zero smoke from the smoker and it acted only like an oven.
HELP! Very frustrated by the outcome of my first experience.
I live in Michigan and it was cold out, should i not use the pellet in the winter?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 17 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned high was 220° what is 225° called super high? If I had to guess you need a thermometer in the cooker to see if your thermostat is reading correctly. Typically I cook at 275°/325° in my offset and that would be a 2-1.5-.5 on St. Louis cut 4.5 lb. racks.

Hybrid Cooker
nazzoli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 17 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the camp chef smoker I am able to adjust it from low smoke (165), high smoke (220) and then i can set a temp up to 400.
I will place a thermometer in the smoker and see if the gauge is accurate.
Brutalgrandpa
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14 17 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nazzoli wrote:
On the camp chef smoker I am able to adjust it from low smoke (165), high smoke (220) and then i can set a temp up to 400.
I will place a thermometer in the smoker and see if the gauge is accurate.
A couple things to note as I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker and it was a learning curve.

First, as stated, definitely get not one, but 2 thermometers in it if you can. Or if you have a wireless with two probes. I have 2 wireless with each having a bbq and food probe so I put 4 across mine. I noticed that when I set it to 225, far left was 180, across the middle areas ranged from 200-225 and then far right was 250. Mine particular one has a tuning plate so I can dial it in but it is good to understand your hot and cold zones.

Regarding the smoke, I had similar issues but it was due to the pellets I was using. I have actually figured out that the Traeger pellets burn the best in mine and tend to give out a nice smoke. With that being said, I sometimes use an Amazen cold smoke tube in addition to just regular smoking it. Light it up with pellets, and once it is smoldering then throw it on the smoker and you will get good smoke.

People tend to think that pellet smokers/grills are set it and forget it right out of the box. I found that not to be the case and you have to play around with it. I love mine and have it nailed down to putting out great food. I saw your smoker on Facebook ads and it looks like it should be a great smoker.

Regarding winter...use it regardless of the temps. The only issue for me is that if it is real cold, mine will burn more pellets per hour. However, for mine they offer an expensive, heavy cover that really insulates it well. Either way, I just smoked meatloaf last night in 20 degree weather and had no issues with temps.

Good luck.
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17 17 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last few rib cooks didn't turn out so good either
420smoker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06 18 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO 5hrs for baby backs @ those temps is simply too long. I find that fat content ain't what it used to be. especially baby backs from costco. try a couple bones after 3 hrs and tell me what u think.
MountainMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06 18 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a little more smoke try a low (smoke producing) setting for an hour or so.
Bump the temp to your desired cook temp (275 for me).
Spritz with Apple Juice every half hour after the first hour.
Test for tenderness and pull when (bite off the bone) tender, time depending on weight and the animal it's self.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: