FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken and sausage gumbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12 08 8:31 am    Post subject: Chicken and sausage gumbo Reply with quote

First start boiling the chicken, sausage and veggies.
6 quarts of water
1-chicken 4 to 5 lb, cut up
2lbs smoked sausage, sliced, reserve 1 cup cubed for Roux
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 cup green onion, chopped
1 cup white onion, diced
3/4 cup bell pepper, diced
1 cup celery, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, minced
4 bay leaves
2 Tbsp Tony Chachere's
Let chicken boil for 45 minutes, pull chicken, cool and then debone.

ROUX
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 to 2 cups all purpose flour
Over medium heat in a cast iron skillet, heat oil, then slowly add flour, stirring constantly, until you achieve a pancake batter consistency, cook until paper bag brown and starting to smoke a little, reduce heat to simmer add:
1/8 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1/2 cup white onion, diced
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 cup sausage, cubed (that was reserved)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Then stirring occasionally until vegetables caramelize and Roux takes on a deep dark rich color. (Don't Burn Your Roux!) Let Roux cool and add to the chicken and sausage stock. Bring to a boil. Add deboned chicken then bring down to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hr stirring often so it doesn't stick to bottom. If at this point my Gumbo is to thick, I make up some chicken stock from Bouillon Cubes. At this point I season to taste with Tabassco Sauce, Gumbo File, Tony Chachere's, Red Pepper, and 4 fresh Cayenne Peppers. From this point my Gumbo normally cooks for 5 hrs, it should achieve a nice dark color.
Note: When the gumbo is put together and simmering if you have a lot of oil come to the top skim it with a ladle.
This is the basics for my Gumbo. You can substitute chicken for shrimp, crab, or turkey. I also like boiling eggs and then peeling them and dropping them in my gumbo's
Enjoy.

Last edited by k.a.m. on Mon Feb 27 12 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Fatrat
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14 08 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks k.a.m.

Ray

Brinkmann Southfork Smoker
Weber One Touch gold
Weber Performer
UDS
Cast Hibachi
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14 08 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, your welcome. I have never really ever put a recipe together I always just wing it but several members have asked on previous times and some of my friends around here have as well so as I was making this one I kept notes. I hope you enjoy it.
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18 10 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never made a gumbo. Do you cut your chicken into quarters or smaller? Why not boil it whole? Does it matter?
250gal. Offset Smoker
84 Lang Kitchen
Ya know how ya git to Carnegie Hall don't cha...practice

www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36580
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20 10 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootlegbbq, most of the time I smoke the chicken or turkey the day before I cook the gumbo, then the day I cook the gumbo the bird is cut up into quarters and placed in the pot to boil I reserve the water for my stock and de-bone the chicken. If I am cooking a regular gumbo I still cut the bird into quarters before boiling it is easier to handle it when I pull it out of the stock to cool before de-boning.

Hybrid Cooker
dukefan4life
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great recipe and it's close to what I make. If you want tho you can use chicken legs, thighs and bone in breasts instead of the whole chicken. I brown my chicken pieces in the skillet before I put them in the gumbo instead of boiling them. I also use Zatarains Creole seasoning. And I agree with you about DON'T BURN YOUR ROUX!!!! If you start seeing blacks specks in it you need to throw it out and start over. Burnt roux will ruin your gumbo. And also be careful with that roux-they don't call it Cajun Napalm for nothing!!!!!!!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26 17 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made this k.a.m., can't believe I waited this long to try making it! Thanks for the recipe.....

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: