FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing a new Bluetooth unit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 11:22 am    Post subject: Testing a new Bluetooth unit. Reply with quote

I was contacted through Facebook by a company to see if I would run one of their units and report on it. I have never used a Bluetooth unit so I was happy to see if I would like it.

The unit is called Inkbird.
http://www.ink-bird.com/products-bluetooth-thermometer.html

The units come in either 2 or 6 probe options I chose the 6 probe. My first test was with a brisket several weeks ago to get a feel for the unit and yesterday I put it to the test with two pork butts.
Here is what the read out on the phone looks like.

I chose 1 & 2 for my butts and preset the alarm for 170°
I chose probe 3 for the cooker and preset it to 275°. The unit does not have a dedicated "Cooker probe" I liked the option to choose I chose the beef icon.

The butts rubbed and ready.

On the cooker they go.

The unit sitting on my stand.

Here is what the read out looks like on the unit, the different probes alternate.

One butt wrapped the other still getting happy.

Both butts wrapped.

After resting.

The large butt pulled.

The small butt pulled.

My assessment of this unit is as follows.
1. Once loading the app on my Iphone the instructions and syncing were very easy.
2. The signal strength of the unit outside is way better than my maverick units at one time I was well over 300 feet away. I did have a drop in my house one time when I went to the back of my house and I was several walls away.
3. The probe ends are quite large and with the leads only 3' I was concerned with a six probe unit but after my first test I talked with Inkbird and they are sending me shorter grate probes and hopefully longer leads so they are listening to my reports.
In short if you like Bluetooth look at them before you purchase I look forward to continue my testing and will be using the unit this weekend at a State Championship cook-off.

Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM glad you got to play with a new toy...they picked the right guy to put it thru it's paces.
Looked on there site seems reasonably priced, do you know how much the probes are? Could not find the info , also the 2 wire has a 300' spec and the 6 wire is listed at 150' but you gave them 👍 For 300 ' that's better than there specs, may look into them for a spare probe, still can't do it naked eye Embarassed
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Maniac. Very Happy
I will get pricing on the probes.
I will also ask about the six probe unit and its footage. When I tested it I was only using 2 of the six spots it may be if it is reading all the signal decreases I do not know. I was nearly to the end of my street and still connected which was stepping off right at 300 steps.

Hybrid Cooker
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think any new controller maker would be choosing Wifi over bluetooth, simply because you can access a wifi version from any device that has a web browser...but that's just my 2 cents.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01 17 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice looking product. The website directs you to amazon to make a purchase and it has the probes listed at $9.99 each. I didn't see the 6 probe model but the 2 probe model has an excellent price. I will be looking for an update after you use the unit in your next comp. If your results are favorable, I will definitely get one. Thanks for the post.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
MountainMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01 17 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01 17 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MountainMan wrote:
TMI

What? Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
MountainMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02 17 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Much Information
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02 17 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MountainMan wrote:
Too Much Information

I know what TMI is. I am trying to figure out what information you are referring to. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
MountainMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02 17 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOPS...............

It would be SO GREAT for my multiple products in the cooker that I could not check the temp on.

Sorry for my comment Sad
BurnBern
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11 17 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I know this an old post but are there any updates [/list]
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24 17 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treading dangerously close to the dark side brother!!!! Next thing they’ll have you testing a temp controller
JohnH12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24 17 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Testing a new Bluetooth unit. Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I was contacted through Facebook by a company to see if I would run one of their units and report on it. I have never used a Bluetooth unit so I was happy to see if I would like it.

The unit is called Inkbird.
http://www.ink-bird.com/products-bluetooth-thermometer.html

The units come in either 2 or 6 probe options I chose the 6 probe. My first test was with a brisket several weeks ago to get a feel for the unit and yesterday I put it to the test with two pork butts.
Here is what the read out on the phone looks like.

I chose 1 & 2 for my butts and preset the alarm for 170°
I chose probe 3 for the cooker and preset it to 275°. The unit does not have a dedicated "Cooker probe" I liked the option to choose I chose the beef icon.

The butts rubbed and ready.

On the cooker they go.

The unit sitting on my stand.

Here is what the read out looks like on the unit, the different probes alternate.

One butt wrapped the other still getting happy.

Both butts wrapped.

After resting.

The large butt pulled.

The small butt pulled.

My assessment of this unit is as follows.
1. Once loading the app on my Iphone the instructions and syncing were very easy.
2. The signal strength of the unit outside is way better than my maverick units at one time I was well over 300 feet away. I did have a drop in my house one time when I went to the back of my house and I was several walls away.
3. The probe ends are quite large and with the leads only 3' I was concerned with a six probe unit but after my first test I talked with Inkbird and they are sending me shorter grate probes and hopefully longer leads so they are listening to my reports.
In short if you like Bluetooth look at them before you purchase I look forward to continue my testing and will be using the unit this weekend at a State Championship cook-off.

I got that a few weeks ago and have asked them several times about the availability of longer probe wires.
They responded to all inquiries that longer ones are not available.
Other than that the temps on all six probes was consistent with each other.
I have a 5' cook chamber on the Lang so would like to have probes that reach from the probe port to the opposite end of the cook chamber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: