FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

250 Gal Propane Tank build questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Which weld line are you referring to?
If your half moon is 21.15" wide then your height would be roughly 10.5" tall. I would make the half moon 22" wide x 11" tall. This will allow for a 1.5" tall grease bridge at the bottom of the opening. Make your cut at the very top of your firebox this way your reverse flow plate can be a continuation of the opening.
I hope this helps. Smile

I'm referring to the weld line on the 250 gal tank on the end for cutting into the "bell" All the pictures seem to follow the weld line and then I assume I just make it 11 in tall to match my "halfmoon opening" in the FB?
KMM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tape it out with blue painters tape and post a pic before you cut? It would give everyone a good look at your thoughts and avoid a big whoopsie that will cost more beer?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mark my chambers at 12,3,6,9. 12 being the top of the tank and 6 the bottom. For your horizontal cut I prefer my reverse flow plate to be 4.5" below the top of my lower grate so my cut on the dome would be 4.5" below 3 and 6.
I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For marking the dome once you have established your quadrants make a water level out of some clear hose. Chock the tank so that 3 and 6 are plumb then using the water level measure 4.5" down on 3 and 6. Set the level on one of the marks and then go around the dome making marks then just connect the dots.

Hybrid Cooker
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marked my line for the fire box opening with grease pencil. I measured 11in. Figuring this should make my baffle plate 4 in below my cooking grates? plan on attaching baffle plate directly to fire box. Doors I am planning on leaving 1 in at each end from weld line and 2.5 in gap in the middle. this will make doors 29in wide each. I planed bottom of door 1in below 3 o clock position and the top right at 12 o clock (to prevent rain water getting in once 1 1/2 in flat bar was welded into place)
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 30" diameter tank I suggest you drop your top cut 6.5" down from the top. If your bottome cut is 1" below 3 then this will make your doors around 18" long and manageable when opened.

Hybrid Cooker
KMM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose to cut with the 4.5" sidearm, be sure to use the thin (1/16") cutting disks. Buy a bunch of them, that tank is probably 3/8-1/4 thick.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05 17 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marked out doors and started cuts. I ended up deciding to leave the valve ports in place and leave the original propane tank specification plate in place. I like the character and distinction that people truly see what it formerly was. my buddy can get some plugs to weld over the valve ports. even toying with the idea of running an oven light down through one of the valve ports.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07 17 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will 1/8 in 1 1/12 angle iron work for racks in CC? I can get it for free...

After stripping down the trailer and really getting a good look it seems it will be too much work for the results I want. I ended up buying a different trailer. I'll post pics later this week when I pick it up.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07 17 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlightRN wrote:
Will 1/8 in 1 1/12 angle iron work for racks in CC? I can get it for free...

It wouldn't be my first choice I prefer 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/16" for grate rails and 1" x 1" x 1/4" for my grates

Hybrid Cooker
FlightRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 17 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse flow plate question. Is there a specific measurement for the opening at the opposite end from the FB or can I just end the flow plate where the bell begins?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 17 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlightRN wrote:
Reverse flow plate question. Is there a specific measurement for the opening at the opposite end from the FB or can I just end the flow plate where the bell begins?

You want the opening opposite the firebox to be as large or larger than the firebox to cooking chamber opening. Typically ending at the bell weld will give you adequate space especially if the bell is deep as yours is.

Hybrid Cooker
FlightRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 17 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
FlightRN wrote:

You want the opening opposite the firebox to be as large or larger than the firebox to cooking chamber opening. Typically ending at the bell weld will give you adequate space especially if the bell is deep as yours is.

Next question, Can 3/16 work for FB or should I order 1/4 in ?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 17 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlightRN wrote:
Next question, Can 3/16 work for FB or should I order 1/4 in ?

Order 1/4" for the firebox and the reverse flow plate.

Hybrid Cooker
KMM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 17 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you bite the bullet and go with the .25". It will be easier to work with and less prone to warp during fabrication. If you are going to insulate, use the 3/16 to wrap with.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10 17 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress today. Fire box to cook chamber cut out is done.

Picked up a new trailer that I think will work so much better than the free one from my dad.

Now I am just waiting on some bids for the plate steel. I plan to mount the tank to the trailer this weekend.
KMM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10 17 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you going after it. How was Thor experience cutting the tank steel? I am guessing you are beginning to see the twisted logic that drives builders to "invest" in tools (plasma cutters, air compressors, wire welders, grinders, mag drills,drill presses, etc). The "investment" drives more builds to help " justify" the "investment"....like farming, aviation, firearms, fishing, etc....it either gets in your blood or it doesn't.

I like the bones of your new trailer a lot more than the snowmobile Frankenstein. Be aware, you will need to add many more leaf springs and will need to put some thought into extending the frame. Otherwise the cooker will be acting as a unibody and will be subject to twisting forces that are less than desirable.

All part of the challenge Wink
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11 17 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a break from the smoker to make some beer...[/img]
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12 17 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need advice....We got the tank up on the trailer and it looks great and fits perfect. Doors seem right height....but tongue weight is only 85lbs and FB (going to weigh 350lbs) is not mounted. We have discussed two options, looking for advice on what is best.

1. We cut back of trailer out and slide tank forward We would weld another frame support behind the FB and weld supports onto sides of FB itself into frame

2. Go with what we have and add counter weight into 4x4 tube and cap it off. (this begs question of how much weight?)
KMM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12 17 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the thickness of the tank wall? I am guessing it is .025"? If so, you would only need to move about 4sqft of steel forward to balance the added 350# firebox. Depending on the actual tank circumference,(I am assuming it is about 3') you will only need to move forward 4-8". Don't forget to add the approx weight of the exhaust stack, racks, rails, door counterweight, added frame, cross members, etc when making your calculation.
Trying to use counterweights is not really ideal. However, should you chose to go that route, consider installing something like tractor suitcase weights. Hang them as low as possible to keep your overall CG low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: