FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

250 Gal Propane Tank build questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26 17 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlightRN wrote:
Will lining the bottom with fire brick as I have seen on some make the FB more efficient (ie less fuel)?

Lining just the bottom will help prolong the bottom of the firebox from corrosion of the ash but it will do little to help efficiency. The top and upper 2/3's of the sides is where the heat goes and radiates the most that is where you need insulation. Living in Colorado you may look into building a square insulated firebox.

Hybrid Cooker
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26 17 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I am missing something you will need some of
that plate to either modify your FB or build one.
A 50 gal. tank is only 20% of a 250. That would leave you
fighting a under size fire box...
FlightRN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27 17 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:

You're right! I plugged in the dimension for 200# tank but wasn't accounting for bell shaped ends. I think I will just go with square to make it easier. I have been reading about making it oversized. Is this a good idea? if so how much? 28x28x28 would be 114%, 30x30x30 would be 140%
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27 17 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlightRN wrote:
jess wrote:

You're right! I plugged in the dimension for 200# tank but wasn't accounting for bell shaped ends. I think I will just go with square to make it easier. I have been reading about making it oversized. Is this a good idea? if so how much? 28x28x28 would be 114%, 30x30x30 would be 140%

I would go with the 28" squared firebox.

Hybrid Cooker
FlightRN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27 17 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked my tank tonight, now to start purging it so I can make my first cuts. Planning on two doors based on the fact I don't think I will be filling it completely often and want to conserve heat. Any strong reasons I should do just one door?
KMM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27 17 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score.....That tank is sure in a lot better shape than any I have ever started with. If for some reason you envision cooking whole hogs or beef quarters, then you should consider the larger door. Otherwise two smaller doors will work just fine. Assuming you will be doing a water/soap purge to prep for cutting? Have you lined up a hoisting device of some sort to facilitate lifting and moving during your build?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27 17 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one door on Bahama Mama and love it for the fact we cook pigs on occasion. One door or two matters very little most of the time on heat loss just know what you need to do get in and get out as quickly as possible. Very Happy
Here is a link to her.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60519

Hybrid Cooker
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29 17 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMM wrote:
Nice score.....That tank is sure in a lot better shape than any I have ever started with. If for some reason you envision cooking whole hogs or beef quarters, then you should consider the larger door. Otherwise two smaller doors will work just fine. Assuming you will be doing a water/soap purge to prep for cutting? Have you lined up a hoisting device of some sort to facilitate lifting and moving during your build?

Yep, water soap to purge, probably going to leave it filled while I cut 6in hole for chimney. I have a engine hoist i planned on using and of course my friends backs in exchange for home brew......
KMM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29 17 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you cut a hole for the exhaust, use some painters tape to lay out your doors, grates, and fire box. It will be much easier to optimize the exhaust size and location once you have figured out the front end of your puzzle. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the exhaust until the fire box was fully installed and racks for the cooking grate(s) were tacked in place.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30 17 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the axle is actually 3500lb drop axle and good to go. Bad news is wiring is shot and will need to be redone and several pretty bad rust spots that will need alot of love before I can paint and get tank up on it. I was thinking of leaving the small tires on it. It pulls very nicely and seems like a good height so I can just weld feet already on tank to it without any modification to lift it higher. Any wisdom on this?
KMM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30 17 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as they are rated for the load, and the frame height is acceptable, tire size is almost irrelevant. You will need to have a prett good Handle on the weight distribution over the axes vs the tongue. Wiring is nothing in the big picture. Figure on running new wire and installing LED lights. 3500# single axels will probably do fine for infrequent trips less than 20 miles. If you have visions of towing longer trips/distances, a tandem axel configuration will make life much easier. I am not a fan of the existing gusset system used to extend the frame....looks like an after thought. You might want to consider beefing the actual frame up to take the heavier load your are wishing to attach.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30 17 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlightRN wrote:

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the axle is actually 3500lb drop axle and good to go. Bad news is wiring is shot and will need to be redone and several pretty bad rust spots that will need alot of love before I can paint and get tank up on it. I was thinking of leaving the small tires on it. It pulls very nicely and seems like a good height so I can just weld feet already on tank to it without any modification to lift it higher. Any wisdom on this?

I would check the spindle size. If it is 1" that is a 2000 lb axle. The reason I am saying check is the 4 lug wheel and 13" tires is a dead give away in most cases.

Hybrid Cooker
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02 17 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the spindle size, but beyond that, I avoid the Barbie Dream Trailer tires, on absolutely anything, like the plague. They just can’t handle the rpm for highway speeds, they just spin themselves to death in pretty short order. I don’t care how small or light the trailer is, my primary criteria is that it has full size tires on it; of whatever persuasion.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 17 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 different valves on the top that I am removing so I can fill the tank and purge it. How do you all seal the holes? Should I just get appropriate sized bolts and screw them in or do I cut the threaded portion out and seal with plate?
KMM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 17 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut them out then weld in plate plugs and grind flush....probably other methods, but that is what works best for me.
FlightRN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 17 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next question, I have a hypoid skill saw I can mount a metal blade to, a 3.5 in grinder I can mount a cut off wheel to, or borrow a sawzall. What is the best tool to make cuts?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 17 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut plugs to fit then weld in and grind smooth.
As for the cutting either will do the job use which ever you are more comfortable with.

Hybrid Cooker
KMM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03 17 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choices of cutting tools....I would go with the 4.5" cutting wheel. However, if you have a friend in the trades who happens to own a plasma cutter, I would start brewing more beer....just sayin'
FlightRN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMM wrote:
Given the choices of cutting tools....I would go with the 4.5" cutting wheel. However, if you have a friend in the trades who happens to own a plasma cutter, I would start brewing more beer....just sayin'

Thanks! I have been looking for a plasma cutter but only one big enough in town (according to shops) wants $$$$$ not beer, so it looks like the grinder it is....I start with some friends tomorrow.

Feldons says my "half moon" opening is 21.15in diameter. to cut my FB opening on the CC do I just follow the weld line around and make it 11in tall?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04 17 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which weld line are you referring to?
If your half moon is 21.15" wide then your height would be roughly 10.5" tall. I would make the half moon 22" wide x 11" tall. This will allow for a 1.5" tall grease bridge at the bottom of the opening. Make your cut at the very top of your firebox this way your reverse flow plate can be a continuation of the opening.
I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: