FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Brisket Strategy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daluqfam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29 17 10:23 pm    Post subject: Big Brisket Strategy Reply with quote

If a novice smoker was to do an 18lb brisket for a large upcoming family gathering, but had to man the pit solo... could the kitchen oven (with brisket foil wrapped) carry the ongoing cooking thru the night? With the size of the brisket(18#), I'm estimating 22hrs @ 260. My serving time is early evening (6pm that Sat). Since I'm on my own, my strategy is to start the smoking on my traditional offset smoker (post oak) at 5pm Friday the day before (unwrapped). 5hrs into the smoking, at 10pm, foil wrap the brisket and transfer it to the kitchen oven (260) until 5am. Then (5am Sat) recapture my smoker fire, remove the foil, and return the brisket to the smoker for the duration of the day, until my internal hits 205. Need experienced help, please advise.
xring01
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will your strategy work..
Most likely, a few items.

IT would be better in a smoker the entire time, but I understand that not all smokers can hold heat without being fed every couple of hours.

260 in the oven might be a bit high, I would recommend that you be very careful in the oven, to avoid over cooking it.

I would recommend putting it in the oven closer to midnight, giving it more time on the smoker and get up at 6am, and get it back on the smoker...
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

years ago I thought I would never do an all nighter, why would I do that to myself, let me tell you I love it, even in your situation, cook it. turn on the radio and enjoy the experience, you will be the center of attention and you will love it, now ai consider it quiet time
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will never regret doing it all night, nothing like watching the sun come up, you have been there and done, that and that is when the best songs are on the radio
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cooking are you using, and 22 hours seems way to long I would think 11 hours with foil at the most
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
daluqfam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, for the all the suggestions. Animal, your point about doing "an all nighter" with good music and enjoying the sunrise is very tempting. I'm just not in my youth anymore (66yo!)... but I might still give it a go. To answer your question about the 22hr smoking estimate... the brisket is going to trim out at 18lbs. On my traditional wood burning offset, I'm following the 1.25hr estimate per pound at 260deg until internal of 205. Also, my foil wrap is only for the 5hr duration in the oven at the lowered temp (as suggested by xring01) Oven probably 220ish.
JohnH12

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I'm not a big believer in foil for any cook. I now cook everything turbo style (325~350) and naked for the whole cook.
BUT.... If I had to let it finish unsupervised I would move it to the oven after the initial smoker time. I don't see how a foiled piece of meat would know whether the 260* heat came from the smoker or the oven.
I would recommend a meat thermometer with a decent alarm. It will hopefully wake you up if it reaches your target IT while you're catching some Z's.
Complete the process with some FTC time if it finishes earlier than planned.
I'm also a very "experienced" 67 YO guy who needs his sleep. Without it I would be a grouch for the get together.
daluqfam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnH12, thanks for the additional info. I'm going to look for meat therm with a good alarm during the week. Your point on foil-wrapped meat not knowing where the 260 heat came from is well taken. Between now and next weekend (the family gathering is Sat)... I'll make a decision and "roll the dice" on the oven temp. Concerning wrapping, I'm not a foil advocate either... but for the sleeptime unsupervised 5hrs, I'm leaning toward doing it (wrapping) to give me a slightly wider "margin of error"... (if that makes any sense?)

Quote:
Complete the process with some FTC time if it finishes earlier than planned.
I'm also a very "experienced" 67 YO guy who needs his sleep. Without it I would be a grouch for the get together.

Laughing JH12, I know what you mean... my "grouch factor" with lack of sleep is not what I want the grandkids to see. Laughing One last thing from a newby, what is *FTC*?
JohnH12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 17 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTC = Foil / Towel / Cooler
I double wrap with foil then wrap with a couple of old beach towels and put in an old cooler.
The meat will "rest" for several hours and still be serving temp when you take it out. I've FTC'ed brisket and pork for 3 to 4 hours and it came out at about 170*...Ready to eat.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01 17 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up your temps to 275° cook open for 4 hours fat cap down point facing the firebox. At the 4 hour mark I would bet your at or close to 165°/170°. Put the brisket cap down in a foil pan and covered with foil and cook to 205° then check the flat for probe tender if not tender bring up to 210° then rest on top of stove or in oven on warm till 160°/165° and slice.
Total cook time before rest should be around 8 to 9 hours.

Hybrid Cooker
daluqfam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 17 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m., I'm liking your instructions. Obviously, the day of the gathering I have all day to finish the smoking. So based on your 8 - 9hr strategy, I should finish it easily on time. k.a.m., to make sure I have a good understanding, what do you mean by "open"?
Quote:
cook open for 4 hours
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 17 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place the brisket cap down on the grate for 4 hours.

Hybrid Cooker
daluqfam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10 17 8:41 pm    Post subject: Big Brisket / Family Gathering Success Reply with quote

Final Update:

Thanks to all for good advice and suggestions. (Oven not needed!)

Early Sat morn (5:30) I had my post oak burning and pit humming at 275F. Meat on at 6 with cap side down. As in prior sessions, for first 90min I wrestled with my pit's temp swings... then afterwards the firebox settled in and worked with me. Using a new meat therm for accuracy, IT 160 was reached 5.25hrs in. Confident that I had time, I elected to go unwrapped & spritz for the next 3hrs... then butcher paper wrapped at the 9hr mark(IT 188 then). Pulled off at 12hrs at IT 205 (5:30pm). FTC'd (I love the abbreviations) the brisket until carving/serving. We dined at 7pm and the smoked brisket was the toast of the evening.

Thanks, Guys. The family thinks I'm a "PitMaster"! ROFL
JohnH12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10 17 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brisket / Family Gathering Success Reply with quote

daluqfam wrote:
Final Update:

Thanks to all for good advice and suggestions. (Oven not needed!)

Early Sat morn (5:30) I had my post oak burning and pit humming at 275F. Meat on at 6 with cap side down. As in prior sessions, for first 90min I wrestled with my pit's temp swings... then afterwards the firebox settled in and worked with me. Using a new meat therm for accuracy, IT 160 was reached 5.25hrs in. Confident that I had time, I elected to go unwrapped & spritz for the next 3hrs... then butcher paper wrapped at the 9hr mark(IT 188 then). Pulled off at 12hrs at IT 205 (5:30pm). FTC'd (I love the abbreviations) the brisket until carving/serving. We dined at 7pm and the smoked brisket was the toast of the evening.

Thanks, Guys. The family thinks I'm a "PitMaster"! ROFL

Congratulations on a job well done!
You're no longer a novice but in fact a PITMASTER.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: