FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Cold Smoker - No air pump needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05 14 11:06 pm    Post subject: Another Cold Smoker - No air pump needed Reply with quote

So I was searching around on the forum looking at everyone's cold smoker builds. I needed to whip up one because I got some pork belly ready for some smoke.

I cut a 16" length of 4" tubing and went to work. I cut a couple of holes near the top of the tube for the exhaust and the venturi supply tube. Wait!! I did say in the topic title that no air pump was needed. Hang on, I'll get to that.

Here's an upside down view of where I tacked in some studs to support wire mesh for holding the wood chips.

And here she is flipped back over showing the wire mesh on the studs.

Got an air pump hooked up. Wait!!! Didn't I say there was no stinkin' air pump?

Ok, she's blowing smoke pretty good.

So here's the rest of the story. My neighbor and I stood there and watched this thing while the air pump was humming along. After the infatuation wore off I shut down the air pump and we headed over to his house to throw down a couple of cold ones and reflect on the day. I kept looking out the window and noticed that smoke kept pouring out the outlet. After it was all said and done I got about a two hour burn on a handful of hickory chips. I got to thinking that if it worked so well without forced air then what's the point? So I capped off the air inlet fitting, added a 45° fitting on the outlet and a 6" nipple. I hole sawed a 7/8" hole in the Weber kettle, placed the smoker in a pan and set that on a concrete stepping stone. I ran the nipple into the kettle and this is what she looks like.

Parked my pork belly on the cooking grate, closed the lid and here we go.

So the belly has been on smoke for an hour and a half now and I got some good smoke flow going through the kettle. Every now and then we'll get a breeze and the smoke will start pouring out between the lid and the kettle and sometimes out the lower vents in the kettle. So, I feel pretty good about it and not having an air pump is all the better.

Signing off... thanks for lookin'
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 14 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I love shade tree mechanics...
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 14 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike...Don't you just love it when a plan comes together better than expected Very Happy

how long of a burn did you get on her now?
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 14 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you jess! Smile

Maniac wrote:
how long of a burn did you get on her now?

Maniac, I can't say exactly for sure. Being that the whole cold smoking experience is rather new to me I was "babying" the thing through the afternoon. I'd go whack it with a hammer every couple of hours and throw in another handful of chips. I was using those store bought hickory chips which were more like shredded wood than anything. It seemed if I loaded it up too much they would smother out the embers below. I never loaded up the pipe more than half way. When I have some time I'll make up a load of chips, fill up the tube, then see how long she percolates.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 14 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Exclamation
RandallDe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09 17 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks amazing Mike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: