FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pellet Grill/Smoker help...suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFARR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16 16 11:57 pm    Post subject: Pellet Grill/Smoker help...suggestions? Reply with quote

I currently have a propane smoker (Sams Club) and a Weber Summit grill.

I've had a cheap electric smoker (big chef) and stick burner (silver smoker) in the past (learned on the silver smoker with the mods).

I think I'm going to sell the propane smoker this spring and go with a Pellet Smoker....either a smoker or 'pellet grill'. Because of the Summit, I don't necessarily need the 'grill' part (searing/high heat capability)...but, as most reviews I've seen refer to pellet grills as 'pellet smokers with grilling capability', grills will probably work.

The propane smoker does OK, but I have to refill the drawers (wood chips) frequently and make sure the water pan is full or it starts to burn off the grease. I'm busy enough with other stuff, I'd like more of a 'set and forget' for a while setup.

I think something like the Fast Eddie PG-500 would be the highest end ($1500) I'm willing to spend (but I keep second guessing thinking 'do I need to spend that much to get what I need?').

It is outside (covered with a fabric cover, not under a roof of any sort for now), so it must be fairly durable. Cooking volume doesn't necessarily have to be huge (a few butts/briskets or a few sides of salmon or 4 or 5 racks of ribs, etc.). Good temp control is a must (set and forget for a few hours at at time).

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.....!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01 16 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a Yoder pellet cooker?

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys480-pellet-grill.html

The price looks good and those guys have a pretty good reputation.
AFARR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02 16 1:57 am    Post subject: Looked at Yoder... Reply with quote

The slightly larger 640? one. Very heavy steel, and very well made, but a few people have said (in reviews) that the heavier steel doesn't insulate very well.

Still torn on what to do...tried to register on pelletheads, but no admin has approved it yet...(seemed like the place to ask).
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04 16 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it takes them longer there to reply than any other forum I've ever registered with but go back and browse through the topics some where in there you will find just about every pellet grill made and users reviews, I'm no longer on there because I sold my Traeger awhile back.
LIAR #29
------------------------------
missin44

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08 17 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAK would be my choice hands down for a pellet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: