FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Smoking Briskets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
capspath83

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 12:10 am    Post subject: New to Smoking Briskets Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and new to smoking brisket. I have an Masterbuilt electric smoker and I bought 2 cuts of brisket the other day to start smoking tomorrow. I get the general idea of smoking between 215 and 225 up until the cuts get to about 165 and then removing to wrap and go in again until it reaches 205. My question is because I bought brisket from the supermarket butcher, they cut it into 2 sections of 2lbs each. About how long will this take to smoke? Should I treat as 2lbs or 4lbs? reason is I want to have it ready for dinner tomorrow and want to make sure I start smoking at the right time. Ive been reading some say 5 hours to complete, some say 8-10 or so. Any advice for a newbie would be great!

Thanks for the help!!
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would treat them as 2 LBS. Place them so that you have good air flow to both pieces. I would cook them at about 250-275.(That is where I like to cook), As far as time, I wouldn't have an exact time but I cant imagine it taking much more that 4 hrs for a 2 lb piece of brisket (it may take less time). Start early and you can hold the finished product in a preheated cooler lined with towels for a few hours if needed. Let them cool to 165 before slicing. Let us know how they turn out.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
capspath83

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30 17 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brutus1964 wrote:
I would treat them as 2 LBS. Place them so that you have good air flow to both pieces. I would cook them at about 250-275.(That is where I like to cook), As far as time, I wouldn't have an exact time but I cant imagine it taking much more that 4 hrs for a 2 lb piece of brisket (it may take less time). Start early and you can hold the finished product in a preheated cooler lined with towels for a few hours if needed. Let them cool to 165 before slicing. Let us know how they turn out.

Awesome!! Thanks! I will put them on separate racks and set it at 250. looks like I can start it later than i thought!! Thanks for the advice. Will definitely post results. Im thinking I will dry rub one tonight and the other tomorrow while the smoker is getting to temp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: