FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seafood entry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
empty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26 17 12:08 am    Post subject: seafood entry Reply with quote

This year I have been nominated to come up with a seafood dish / entry for a ancillary turn in , I have never seen nor had the honor . Although I have been racking my brain and testing some recipe's I still have not had that WOW factor . Have any of you been in my position , or on the other side and judged such category , And have had that wow experience ?
Do you keep it simple or dress it up and take the chance of overpowering the seafood experience . Any suggestions ??
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon May 15 17 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a jumbo shrimp medley. Fried, boiled, bacon wrapped grilled. Put a bowl of Cajun Remoulade sauce in the middle and surround the bowl with the shrimp.

Hybrid Cooker
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17 17 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a grilled oysters kick lately since I had some in Louisiana that just blew me away.. lots you can do with them, and they're prettty easy to put together once you have your recipe nailed down..
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22 17 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the shrimp suggestion as well as the oyster suggestion. With the oysters...you might try steaming just to open, remove clean from the shells, place back in the shells & put in the smoker for about 5 minutes...just to kiss them with a touch of smoke. Probably too simple of a dish to score well, but I bet they taste good.

You can also use a jerk spice. I'd aim for a dry jerk, and keep the heat down. Jerk doesn't have to be hot. Season one side (fish or shrimp), cook seasoned side down over med-high heat in a skillet with some clarified butter, then flip & place in the smoker to finish...again, just kissing it with the smoke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: