FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooker build that needs some constructive criticism

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05 17 3:19 am    Post subject: Cooker build that needs some constructive criticism Reply with quote

New account due to forgetting my password and not having the email I registered it with. I have posted a build here before and soaked up more knowledge than I could have ever hoped for, but I need direction.

I started this build over a year ago, and kinda rushed my thought process. I need input on how I should run my heat piping to get my desired cooking results.
Back ground
We do 2 ministry trips a year to Michigan International speedway where our group does disability transport. My wife and I go along to cook 4 meals for the campground we stay in. Our biggest challenge was cooking space, when you are cooking 100 lbs of fresh hams its hard to put enough heat into 3 pans of beans on the same grate to get them cooked down in time to serve dinner. So I devised a plan to build a bigger cooker. My current cooker is a 300 gallon indirect heat setup that cooks very well, but is just not big enough. The new cooker is as follows.

Fire box 30x70 tank that's is 1/2 thick, the cook chamber is a 38x96 tank that ls more like 3/16 thick. They are mounted on a tandem axle boat trailer. Here are some pics, be genital I know this is not the most desired setup, and I am actually willing to cut the CC off and turn lt 90* if it makes more sense. The desired result is to be able to turn the heat up on one half to cook beans and stuff that need more heat to boil off moisture while getting the Smokey taste of being cooked with wood.

My original plan was to use 2 heat tubes that I can damper to control heat from side to side. I am now thinking I could achieve even heat if I build it like 2 separate reverse flow cookers. heat pipes go in in the middle on ether side of a divider, and have tuning plates with the stacks in the center.

OR, I could cut the CC off the trailer and turn it 90* and pipe the heat into the end of the CC RF with tuning plates.

Brian Oatway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07 17 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is similar to yours with the firebox in the middle. When designing I tried to work out how I could create a couple of different temperature zones but in the end I went with one large cookchamber and focused on getting even temps everywhere.

The connection from my firebox to the cooking chamber is right in the center below a reverse flow plate that is open to the cook chamber at both ends. The plate is pitched to the very center so it forms a shallow V, I was crazy about keeping everything symmetrical so the heat split evenly between the two sides of the cook chamber and it work remarkably well.

It is however sensitive to being quite level. If it is off level even by what seems to be small amounts one side becomes hotter than the other. I haven't played with controlling temps side to side via tilting the rig but I think it would be possible.
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11 17 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see how this would work; you're at 136% on firebox size with Feldon's calculator, but the second you cut one side of the CC off, I wonder if it's going to act like a firebox that is almost 3x oversized; I really wonder if you can control flow like you would want it. I'm thinking if I really wanted to do two sections, I'd split the firebox as well, just to keep the proportions consistent.
Ben17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13 17 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great input guys.

That is basically what I was thinking Brian. I just have to decide how I will set up the heat tubes to try and get even, controlled heat.

D Williams, that is part of the trick, however you have to remember some of the firebox will be below the grate(possibly up to 25%), and neither side would ever be totally shut off.

I have some ideas I will post soon with pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: