FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Finished My New Build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Oatway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24 17 2:27 am    Post subject: Just Finished My New Build Reply with quote

I've been lurking around here for some time gathering information and ideas for my new BBQ. I've been working on the build all spring/summer and just wrapped it up to the point I can use it last week. First run of 20 racks of spare ribs was on Saturday.

It is 8.5' x 3' with a 36x36x30 insulated fire box centered in the rear and is reverse flow (double reverse flow maybe?).

I was very happy with how it performed, temps even within 7 or 8 degrees across all the lower racks. (I used water trays to keep the temps in the middle down a little bit).

I was also happy with the amount of fuel it used. 4 bags of kingsford for a 1 hour warmup and 6 hour cook plus a few small splits on top.

The only real issue is that the insulated fire box door warps ALOT when hot, so much so I needed to use a big bar clamp to keep it closed. It warps about 3/4", funny thing is it goes right back to dead straight when cool.

brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24 17 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good looking smoker.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27 17 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesomw looking build Brian. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Brian Oatway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28 17 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all

I have used it a few times now and it seems to be working pretty well. The fire box door still warps, I am going to try welding some big pieces of angle to the inside and see if that helps but I'm thinking the real solution is going to be replace the door with something that is not insulated and only and single layer thick. The doors weighs well over 200lbs so it's not something I'm looking forward to scrapping.

The cooking chamber doors have also moved a little bit, I now have small 1/8" gaps at the bottoms, I don't see any smoke escaping there but I will need to tweak them a bit.

I still have some thinks I need to finish like a shelf on the outside along the front and some other niceties on the trailer but I'm just enjoying using it for now.
EightySecond

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30 17 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those chain handles, looks awesome. Well done.
Brian Oatway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 17 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EightySecond wrote:
Love those chain handles, looks awesome. Well done.

I'm pretty sure I saw chain handles on here and got the inspiration. I was worried about them not staying cool enough but they are barely warm.
Ben17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05 17 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on a similar build, and I was wondering if you would share how you set up the inside. I am trying to figure out how I will get the heat distribution I am looking for.

Ben
Brian Oatway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06 17 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben17 wrote:
I am working on a similar build, and I was wondering if you would share how you set up the inside. I am trying to figure out how I will get the heat distribution I am looking for.

Ben

I have a reverse flow plate that is about 6" below the lower cooking level. The plate is pitched to the center of the cooking chamber with a grease drain in the middle.

Ben17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06 17 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: