FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weekend Chicken Practice - now with fixed pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24 17 10:13 pm    Post subject: Weekend Chicken Practice - now with fixed pics Reply with quote

With the trailer working and the super nice weather in Boston, the BBQ spirit has taken over again.

For some reason, I have struggled with chicken skin and textures so it was a relief to pull off some real enjoyable birds for once. Smoked on Hickory with 2 separated layered rub blends and sauces. One a bit more spicy/Texas Peppered (Juniors) and one a little more sweet made with my own sauce.

1 hour into cooking

glazed up really nice

Bite through skin!

Also threw in a whole chicken with a ginger cider kick stand. Let cool, pulled and reheated the next day for some killer sandwiches with Ogre sauce and homemade habanero relish. Texture a little mushy but it worked for a quick cook out with friends and the wings I ate right off the pit the day before were better. Likely a little over cooked.

damn you photobucket Sad Thankfully I remember some basic HTML from highschool!

Last edited by Snowsmoke on Wed Jul 26 17 2:14 am; edited 2 times in total
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25 17 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those thighs look perfect. A very good looking sandwich as well..

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
kidlebo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25 17 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking Chicken! I did some pulled chicken on the 4th, and it also came out a bit mushy, especially when it was hotter. When it cooled down a bit, the texture was much better. Maybe I braised it for too long after the smoking...

Is all the juice in those pans just from the thighs?
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25 17 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on texture cooler verse hotter but I think I was probing the bird too deep like a turkey so the breast meat got to like 180. must keep practicing!

nope, that was half a stick of butter, 1 tbsp of minced garlic and 3 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce poured down the side after putting the thighs in the pain. The pic at the 1 hour mark does show that plus the juice from the thighs which was a decent amount.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25 17 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how that sauce set in there. Good looking chicken.

Doc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: